Q & A with MacPhail

8ripken2131

You are right. I must be mixing threads. I fixed it. Same point though.

Yes it is but I think you are discounting the possibility of acquiring pitching in other trades.

One thing you do with young players, besides play them, is trade them.

Now, i am against trading Penn but if the Orioles look at Penn and Liz and say that their worth in a trade is worth more what they think they will produce at the ML level, then i understand trading them.

In other words, they need to evaluate those who need to go and those who should stay.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The figure I heard a couple weeks ago impressed me. But Andy doesn't want to show his hand. Based on what I heard...money isn't an issue. And after a decade of suffering...it shouldn't be. As in any business...to be successful, you gotta spend it to make it. Don't rule anything out....except Arod :)

Well money has never been the problem with this team...I think this is more discouraging than encouraging.

Question for anybody really. We propose all this speculation of Bedard to the Dodgers for 3 of their top young players. But, is this speculation based in any reality? Are the Dodger really in the market for another top starter? Or is it just "they have a lot of prospects we want, let's trade him there" mentality. They would have Penny, Lowe, Schmidt, Billingsly, Wolfe and Kershaw on his way.

I agree with you. The Dodgers have more pressing needs then pitching. Especially for the fact that Penny, Lowe, and Schmidt all make over 10mill a year. If they are trading for Bedard, they better be prepared in ponying up some money.

Seems like the only way they would be able to trade kemp/loney/laroche (their problem was hitting) etc.. is if they signed ARod or AJones. If they signed one of those guys would they be able to resign Bedard?

I agree with you. The Dodgers have more pressing needs then pitching. Especially for the fact that Penny, Lowe, and Schmidt all make over 10mill a year. If they are trading for Bedard, they better be prepared in ponying up some money.

Seems like the only way they would be able to trade kemp/loney/laroche (their problem was hitting) etc.. is if they signed ARod or AJones. If they signed one of those guys would they be able to resign Bedard?

Every team has a need for a top of the rotation starter.

Here ya go SportsGuy...you love trade scenarios. Conjure up a three-way with the Mets and Blue Jays. Think blockbuster without Tejada involved.

I have a feeling if its blockbuster worthy, we are looking at Bedard to the Blue Jays, which I don't think would happen, but you never know.

Rios and some prospects to the Mets, and we get Milledge and Reyes with some minor parts thrown around to even everything out.

I think we would be giving up Liz and or Penn too, maybe towards the mets side.

Archived