Chris Tillman = Batting Practice

JDBirds10

He's 23 years old...

Wasn't he the guy just a few years ago who we expected to see at the front end of the rotation for years to come? I think it's still to early in his career to make assumptions.

But wasn't that expectation based at least in part on the 94-95 MPH fastball we heard about, and that we saw in Bowie?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some close calls but you can't be trying to hit the corners on your first pitch, unless you're Greg Maddux. Of course, he doesn't have the stuff to be agressive on the first pitch. He gets behind every batter and then he's dog meat.

I don't disagree but him not getting those calls clearly effected his approach. You could tell he was a little disrupted by it too...He hung his head a few times/glared at the ump.

But wasn't that expectation based at least in part on the 94-95 MPH fastball we heard about, and that we saw in Bowie?

I don't think sending him down to Norfolk is going to help his velocity and I don't think we have anyone else (Available) who I'd rather have pitching in the rotation.

I'm definitely concerned that his stuff has taken a step back. But he still has the chance to be a valuable (read: league average mid-rotation starter) asset. Let's not ignore that.

I agree completely. However, it's now become painfully obvious to me that tonight is....and now was, his night.

He's batting practice indeed - Hayden Penn part II. You can see it in his body language - no confidence. He can't locate and when he does he either telegraphs his curve or throws a 89-90 MPH fastball with no movement.

He'll be out of baseball soon if he keeps pitching like this.

For those that say he's 23 - he made his debut at 21 so it's not like he's a rookie. He's an old 23 as he's got ML experience but he's simply not a ML pitcher.

We made excuse after excuse for Cabrera, and Penn etc, but the problem was they just couldn't be successful at the ML level.

Archived