Chris Tillman = Batting Practice

JDBirds10

I'm most concerned because he isn't throwing 95 with no command. He's throwing 89-90 with no command. He needs velocity or a GREAT changeup to be effective. But a 22 year old in Yankee Stadium who's had to think about this start for several days due to the weather....I'm going to cut him a little slack. If he tanks in his next start I think he should and will get some time at AAA.

In some ways, that's actually a good thing.

IF he has some major mechanics issue, velocity would be something that would be effected by it.

So, if he can fix himself, then maybe he will get the velocity back up and be ok.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah he needs to go down and spend at least half a season in AAA to see if we can salvage this guy.

Wouldnt be shocked if he walks into a trainers room and declare he has been feeling pain for a year or so but tried to pitch through it. Kids do that crap all the freaking time. Watch it be a rotator cuff or tommy john.

IF he has some major mechanics issue, velocity would be something that would be effected by it.

So, if he can fix himself, then maybe he will get the velocity back up and be ok.

I like the positive angle. But the pessimist in me says that a major mechanics issue and drop in velocity could easily be a sign of a bigger problem (health). Sure hope not.

I like the positive angle. But the pessimist in me says that a major mechanics issue and drop in velocity could easily be a sign of a bigger problem (health). Sure hope not.

Yea, i was just about to bring that up...I wonder if he is totally healthy?

BTW, outside of the AROD homer and the Cano hit, they didn't really hit the ball hard again off of him. Gardner hit a grounder the other way...Jeter and Tex hit soft liners in the right spots. Martin fought off a pitch for a double.

They weren't pounding the ball against him, which is usually what happens. Problem is, his stuff isn't good enough and the command isn't good enough to keep batters off the bases and then, he gives up the homer.

He Is gripping the ball too hard. Lower velocity and not much movement.

Another thing about Tillman, as I have said before, is that he looks like he is aiming the ball. He isn't going out there and just letting it fly.

When he came up, they talked about how poised he was and how he was very mentally strong..that isn't the case. His expression rarely changes but he is clearly questioning himself. Hayden Penn would do the same thing.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have it between the ears, then it doesn't really matter.

Penn's issue were mental and he could never stay healthy.

Another thing about Tillman, as I have said before, is that he looks like he is aiming the ball. He isn't going out there and just letting it fly.

When he came up, they talked about how poised he was and how he was very mentally strong..that isn't the case. His expression rarely changes but he is clearly questioning himself. Hayden Penn would do the same thing.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have it between the ears, then it doesn't really matter.

Penn's issue were mental and he could never stay healthy.

He is soooo Penn II - same attitude, same demeanor on the mound. Same issues with success at a very early age and being called up and yanked up and down because your stuff won't work in the majors.

He is Hayden Penn. And the Orioles didn't learn their lesson the first time.

Somebody has to be able to evaluate these pitchers better and decide very early if they are going to make it in the majors or not. This organization has been horrible at knowing when to cut younger pitchers loose.

I understand you need a stockpile - but you need to know who to get rid of and when to make sure your stockpile isn't just AAAA fodder.

Hasn't he been throwing this way since 2010?

I'm going with done.

He's not done by any means.

HOWEVER, he has a lot to figure out and, as you point out, he has had a lot of the same stuff to figure out for a while.

The problem is, he goes down to AAA, fares relatively well and then comes up and gives us starts like tonight and starts like his against Tampa. Very inconsistent and very up and down.

One thing you will notice about Tillman is if he is pitching in a game where the ump has a small strikezone, he generally has struggled..which isn't a good sign.

I almost just want to see them send him down for a few months and let him pitch well...At that point, you either look to trade him or bring him back up for the rest of the year and tell him to sink or swim.

I was racing home to see the start of the game. Didn't make it, but when I turned on the radio and realized Tillman was pitching I slowed down and stopped caring as much.

He's awful.

Yeah. I have zero confidence every time Tillman is scheduled to pitch. He just isn't close to being a ML pitcher right now.

Archived