Keith Law: O's early intention to pick Hultzen or Jed Bradley

The Orioles desperately pitching depth in our farm system. I would love to have Starling our system, but we need a college pitcher who can ascend through our farm system fast. I really hope we end up drafting the best player available, I do not want a "project" for our first pick.

I'm not sure I see the connection between the two parts in bold. You say we need a college pitcher, but then say you hope we draft the best player available?

What if Starling is the best player available?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure I see the connection between the two parts in bold. You say we need a college pitcher, but then say you hope we draft the best player available?

What if Starling is the best player available?

Then we should pick him.

I actually don't like the road it seems the O's are going down (understanding it's mostly speculative). Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they're hellbent on picking a college pitcher because they are actually good and they'll be up soon (able to supplement our current core). I don't have any sense that they'd even consider a guy like Starling.

He may very well come with higher risk, but his reward could be immense. The alternative seems like a pitcher with mildish risk (for a pitcher) with a very very good reward.

It's certainly not a terrible alternative and I really get the sense that we'll get a stud talent either way, but I sure hope we're honestly reviewing all of the top players and really considering the best potential player. I'm not saying Starling should be our pick. I'm saying he should receive fair consideration.

Then we should pick him.

I actually don't like the road it seems the O's are going down (understanding it's mostly speculative). Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like they're hellbent on picking a college pitcher because they are actually good and they'll be up soon (able to supplement our current core). I don't have any sense that they'd even consider a guy like Starling.

He may very well come with higher risk, but his reward could be immense. The alternative seems like a pitcher with mildish risk (for a pitcher) with a very very good reward.

It's certainly not a terrible alternative and I really get the sense that we'll get a stud talent either way, but I sure hope we're honestly reviewing all of the top players and really considering the best potential player. I'm not saying Starling should be our pick. I'm saying he should receive fair consideration.

Well I certainly agree, I was just trying to clarify the poster's position.

FWIW, from the little I've heard (I certainly don't portend to be an insider, but I do talk to a couple of scouts who are somewhat in the know) Starling and Bundy are certainly in the mix.

Usually you hear about interest in the college guys first, and then the HS guys balloon as the national media gets clued in.

Also, as I've said before, this FO plays it close to the vest, particularly on prep talent, so we won't be completely certain until the name is called.

FWIW, from the little I've heard (I certainly don't portend to be an insider, but I do talk to a couple of scouts who are somewhat in the know) Starling and Bundy are certainly in the mix.

My comments weren't directed to you, FYI. Just making a general point about the tea leaves around the O's heading up to this draft.

This is good to hear about Bundy and Starling.

Bradley sounds awesome. I love the idea of a ground ball pitcher. Having two Brittons and a Matusz would certainly be unique.

OTOH, I really don't like command issues. Considering the other top talent around, I'm slightly wary. Of course, they all have their small warts. That's sort of why I want them to definitely consider guys who don't fall within that college pitcher profile.

Additionally, Starling definitley seems to me to fall closer to the the Cole/Rendon/Harper class of player, rather than the Ackley/Matusz class.

I also get the feeling we could still draft a Mike Leake type (college, 3/4 starter projection) in the second round this year. Wishful thinking?

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask it here: Are Rendon and Cole a consensus 1-2? Is it possible that one could fall to us? I'm assuming Rendon is more likely to fall b/c of injury history and IIRC he was off to a slow start.

I am far from a draft expert but given the Mariners' offensive needs, and their deep pockets, I find it hard to believe they will not take Rendon if he is there at #2.

My comments weren't directed to you, FYI. Just making a general point about the tea leaves around the O's heading up to this draft.

This is good to hear about Bundy and Starling.

Bradley sounds awesome. I love the idea of a ground ball pitcher. Having two Brittons and a Matusz would certainly be unique.

OTOH, I really don't like command issues. Considering the other top talent around, I'm slightly wary. Of course, they all have their small warts. That's sort of why I want them to definitely consider guys who don't fall within that college pitcher profile.

Additionally, Starling definitley seems to me to fall closer to the the Cole/Rendon/Harper class of player, rather than the Ackley/Matusz class.

I also get the feeling we could still draft a Mike Leake type (college, 3/4 starter projection) in the second round this year. Wishful thinking?

There will be potential #3/4 college arms available in the 2nd Round, for sure.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask it here: Are Rendon and Cole a consensus 1-2? Is it possible that one could fall to us? I'm assuming Rendon is more likely to fall b/c of injury history and IIRC he was off to a slow start.

Rendon and Cole certainly seem to be the consensus top 2. My question now is how close is Hultzen to becoming the consensus #3?? It seems he might be pulling away a little from some of the other guys in the mix for #3.

Sonny Gray pitched seven innings, giving up three runs, five hits and four walks in an 11-3 victory over LSU last night....

FWIW, Jason Churchill yesterday had the Orioles taking Dylan Bundy fourth. He also said Starling was in the mix. He believes Cole, Rendon and Hultzen are solidifying themselves as the top three picks, most likely in that order (with Cole and Rendon being the obvious top two)

Bradley pitched really well over the weekend apparently. One run, one walk in seven innings against Boston College. 98 pitches through seven innings, 66 for strikes. He hasn't given up a home run this season. If he continues at that pace, I would bet he'll be the O's pick at number four.

Then we should pick him.

Sorry to bump a post from awhile back, but the way I look at it, the college pitchers that will be available to us at 1:4 are probably on the Matusz/Britton level and will be ready to come up soon with very high ceilings and high floors. Starling may very well have the highest ceiling in the draft, but a lot would have to go well. Hultzen is starting to look like the best pick at this point, but he might go before us. Starling should be in consideration, but I'd have to think really hard about passing up Bradley or Gray for him. My (very humble and admittedly not the most knowledgeable) draft board rankings from Number 1 to Starling for our first pick is as follows:

Cole

Rendon

Hultzen

Gray

Bradley

Starling

If I had to rank by highest ceiling, I'd do it as follows:

Cole

Rendon

Starling

Hultzen

Gray

Bradley

If I ranked by highest floor, I'd do it like this:

Cole

Rendon

Hultzen

Bradley

Gray

Starling

Every one of these guys are arguably top 3 talents in most drafts and have high ceilings with very good likelihood of reaching them. However, I think the college pitchers are the more logical picks given ceiling and floors and factoring for organizational need. Not to say that I wouldn't love Starling, but I'd love Cole, Rendon, Hultzen, Gray, and Bradley more than Starling.

Sonny Gray pitched seven innings, giving up three runs, five hits and four walks in an 11-3 victory over LSU last night....

FWIW, Jason Churchill yesterday had the Orioles taking Dylan Bundy fourth. He also said Starling was in the mix. He believes Cole, Rendon and Hultzen are solidifying themselves as the top three picks, most likely in that order (with Cole and Rendon being the obvious top two)

I just saw this tweet. Link

greg schaum

@Greg_Schaum greg schaum

Dylan Bundy's current stats: W/L 8/0, IP 48, H 11, R 4, ER 2, BB 3, K 111, ERA 0.29, Whip 0.31 #MLBdraft

Bundy has 111 strikeouts and three walks in 48 innings?! I know it's high school but still....

I am a huge Bundy fan, but keep in mind his brother, pitching four months removed from ACL surgery as senior at Sperry HS in 2008, put up these numbers:

0.8 ERA, 54 IP, 13 H, 6 BB, 111 SO

Oklahoma HS baseball not exactly Southern California. Granted, Dylan Bundy showed well in Florida tourney this spring, as well. :)

I'd have him 1 or 2 HS pitcher in draft, along with Daniel Norris.

Archived