Gary Williams Retiring

I'd love to hear more from ACCinfo on this as I'm not sure about the timing of coaching hires, process, etc.

Part of me wants to believe that the hiring process needs to happen pretty quickly as they need a coach to "re-recruit" the signees, etc. That would lead me to believe that there might have been some "pre-selling" and interviewing going on prior to this presser.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's true along with the other stuff we've been hearing/reading then I think the aforementioned debate regarding how good a job and program MD can be is looking like it has a winner. :)

I think the rival ACC fans we have here were just in denial. They knew deep down Gary wasn't taking full advantage of this program's potential and resources. I'm not sure why any MD fans themselves were debating how good a job this was. Now, brining in a big name doesn't automatically equal success but MD will undoubtedly have a more talented roster year in and year out. The talent has to be there first and foremost to win. Great coaching is great but you still need studs.

I think the rival ACC fans we have here were just in denial. They knew deep down Gary was taking full advantage of this program's potential and resources. I'm not sure why any MD fans themselves were debating how good a job this was. Now, brining in a big name doesn't automatically equal success but MD will undoubtedly have a more talented roster year in and year out. The talent has to be there first and foremost to win. Great coaching is great but you still need studs.

Even though I was on the side that thought MD was a better job/program than some others, I'll admit that I'm surprised by what's going on. I wouldn't have expected the coaches at Arizona, Pitt, Villanova, ND, Texas to reportedly be willing to leave their jobs that they're mostly thriving in to come to MD. Plus Stevens may be interested.

Did Miller have any highly touted recruits headed to Arizona next year that he could bring with him? Or transfers even?

BTW, I agree that was a great press conference.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/12

3 signed (2 97's, 1 92) and a verbal with a 94 (based on ESPN's scores for them).

All are in the ESPN Top 100. If my math is right, this is the first year that Miller has gotten his own guys as Arizona head coach. IIRC, he brought 1, maybe 2 recruits from Xavier down south with him.

As much as I would be thrilled with Sean Miller as the next coach, I hope that we still do our due diligence with Stevens... If he wants to come, you take him. If not, you hire Miller immediately without blinking an eye. If our fallback option is friggen Jay Wright, then we're in an amazing position.

I like Stevens a lot but here is why I have Miller slightly ahead of him. Miller has done it in the bigger spotlight. Granted, Xavier is an A10 school but A10 over the Horizon. Plus, and maybe more importantly he made a smooth transition to a big time program taking Arizona to the Elite Eight in his second year. He also has proven that he can haul in the big time recruits. We have no idea if Stevens can make a smooth transition to a big time program or get the big time recruits.

I like Stevens a lot but here is why I have Miller slightly ahead of him. Miller has done it in the bigger spotlight. Granted, Xavier is an A10 school but A10 over the Horizon. Plus, and maybe more importantly he made a smooth transition to a big time program taking Arizona to the Elite Eight in his second year. He also has proven that he can haul in the big time recruits. We have no idea if Stevens can make a smooth transition to a big time program or get the big time recruits.

I also saw over on the Sun board that Bino Ranson worked with Miller at Xavier. That could be a big factor in all of this as well.

True. The more I think about it, the more I might take Miller over Stevens. Would not complain for a minute with either, though.

I also saw over on the Sun board that Bino Ranson worked with Miller at Xavier. That could be a big factor in all of this as well.

This is correct. I believe Ranson recruited Jordan Latham, who was a freshman power forward for us this year (he committed until Miller, but decided to keep his agreement and stayed when Mack became head coach....though he will be transferring for next season).

Miller will be a great hire. From what I've read from older Xavier fans who have followed the team, Miller is a great recruiter. Just think what he could do with kids from Baltimore, DC, and PG County.

Wow, those poor folks are losing their minds over at the Arizona boards. I feel bad for them. But it's pretty Insulting what most of them think about the lure of the Maryland program, so I hope we get him. Would love to hear more about KA's trip to Tucson. It seems like the "sources" on their boards feel that Miller would take the MD job if offered, which backs what we've been hearing as well. This should be very interesting.

Their saying right now on their board is "Pray for Bray", and who can blame them. They liken a potential Bray higher to our hire of Edsall, so they're hoping that "KA is consistent with mediocre hires".

Wow, those poor folks are losing their minds over at the Arizona boards. I feel bad for them. But it's pretty Insulting what most of them think about the lure of the Maryland program, so I hope we get him. Would love to hear more about KA's trip to Tucson. It seems like the "sources" on their boards feel that Miller would take the MD job if offered, which backs what we've been hearing as well. This should be very interesting.

Their saying right now on their board is "Pray for Bray", and who can blame them. They liken a potential Bray higher to our hire of Edsall, so they're hoping that "KA is consistent with mediocre hires".

Double worry for them is MD hires Jamie Dixon. They think Miller would bounce for Pitt.

I'm not surprised a bunch of Arizona fans don't see why MD is an upgrade of Arizona, they just don't have the information needed. And a little homerism is to be expected on a fan website even though we never have a problem with it here ;)

Archived