Simple question. King Felix or Fielder?

El Gordo

If they were both free agents after this season and getting the same contract, it would be Felix and like many have indicated, it wouldn't be close.

If, however, they were both free agents and they would get market value, King Felix would cost more (I'm sure he gets a bigger and longer deal). This makes it closer, but I still think Hernandez is the better pick.

If, however, we are speaking who do we want on the team in 2012 keeping in mind what it would take to get him on the squad, I'm leaning towards Fielder in a close call. I don't want to give up what it would take to get Herandez. If we do, we end up in the same boat as the Mariners where we have Felix, but struggle to put a team around him (especially an offense around him).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My decision is based on availability. Looking at the draft over the last 3 years.

2010:

1. Harper

2. Taillon

3. Machado

4. Colon

5. Pomeranz

6. Loux

7. Harvey

8. DeShields

9. Whitson

10. Choice

2009:

1. Strasburg

2. Ackley

3. Tate

4. Sanchez

5. Hobgood

6. Wheeler

7. Minor

8. Leake

9. Turner

10. Storen

2008:

1. Beckham

2. Alvarez

3. Hosmer

4. Matusz

5. Posey

6. Skipworth

7. Alonso

8. Beckham

9. Crow

10. Castro

11. Smoak

My point is all of this is that there is only a few middle of the order impact bats taken in the first round over the last few years. There are some solid hitters with big time upside, but Harper, Alvarez, and maybe Smoak and Hosmer with the type of bats to hit 4th an AL team. I like the chances of an Orioles landing a top notch pitcher in later rounds. If we are always going to draft pitching in the first then I would rather have Fielder over Henandez.

That being said, the following rotation in 2013 would look good.

Hernandez

Matusz

Britton

Bundy/Cole/Hultzen

Tillman

Fielder because I can bet Seattle would rather have him than Felix if given the choice.

What good is an ace if there is no run support to back him up?

I guarantee you that if Seattle would prefer Fielder the Brewers will gladly give him up plus a little for Felix.

At some point, don't you have to start going after team need instead of BPA? We've got a pretty terrible offensive pipeline, and we've got to start finding "nuggets" in that regard. I like our young pitching.

At some point, don't you have to start going after team need instead of BPA? We've got a pretty terrible offensive pipeline, and we've got to start finding "nuggets" in that regard. I like our young pitching.

I think a great way to acquire an impact bat would be to trade a good young pitcher about to be displaced by an established ace.

Fielder because I can bet Seattle would rather have him than Felix if given the choice.

You really only pop in here to try to goad people into overreactions, don't you? Your stuff is so illogically provocative that it can't be serious. In what bizarro world do you trade a fat first baseman who can't even regularly OPS .900 in the NL Central for a reigning 25-year-old Cy Young winner?

I think a great way to acquire an impact bat would be to trade a good young pitcher about to be displaced by an established ace.

Not for the amount of talent it would take to acquire said ace. It's just not realistic for what this team needs. Felix is the far more valuable player, however.

I think your question has already been answered.

Philadelphia Phillies

Runs Scored - 12th in NL

Team ERA - 1st in NL

Record - Best in NL

Pitching and defense rules - King Felix.

You often quote WAR to make your points. Coincidentally both Felix and Prince came into the league in 2005.

Hernandez since 2005: 29.7 fWAR, 26.1 rWAR

Fielder since 2005: 22 fWAR, 17.2 rWAR

I think your question has already been answered.

Seattle Mariners

Runs scored - 13th in AL

Team ERA - 2nd in AL

Record - 10th in NL

They have the second best pitching in the AL but one of the worst offenses and thus are in the bottom of the pack.

Good pitching is nothing without hitting.

Archived