12th Round - Jason Coats - OF -Texas Christian University

Anyone know if this guy is going to Cape Cod this summer? Would be a nice opportunity to prove his value against very good competition. I'd definitely try to track him down if possible.

He wasn't listen on the earlier lists. Not sure if he has since signed on somewhere.

In any event, I highly doubt he signs for less than around 3rd round money, and he could hold out for upper-six figures if he wants to roll the dice on going back to Rice and improving his spring line.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He wasn't listen on the earlier lists. Not sure if he has since signed on somewhere.

In any event, I highly doubt he signs for less than around 3rd round money, and he could hold out for upper-six figures if he wants to roll the dice on going back to Rice and improving his spring line.

I'm hearing his number is 500K, but I doubt the Orioles go near that. He slid to the 12th partially because of his price tag but also partially because his development almost totally depends on his bat and like you mentioned, he had some struggles early on with the new bats.

I'm hearing his number is 500K, but I doubt the Orioles go near that. He slid to the 12th partially because of his price tag but also partially because his development almost totally depends on his bat and like you mentioned, he had some struggles early on with the new bats.

Sounds about what I'd expect -- I had him as a fringe 3rd Round talent off the summer on the Cape and a swing you can work with. Approach went out the window this year, but he also plays in a big pitcher's park.

I think 300-500K is very justifiable. Figured he'd be asking round 3 money.

Is it possible that he could, to use Brandon Belt as an example (not necessarily comparing him to), be someone who just needs to retool his swing and approach at the plate and he could take off in our farm system? I remember seeing his name come up earlier in the year as a possible 2nd or 3rd rounder and I think he could be a steal in the 12th round if the Orioles think he is worth the investment.

Is it possible that he could, to use Brandon Belt as an example (not necessarily comparing him to), be someone who just needs to retool his swing and approach at the plate and he could take off in our farm system? I remember seeing his name come up earlier in the year as a possible 2nd or 3rd rounder and I think he could be a steal in the 12th round if the Orioles think he is worth the investment.

Personally I have very little issue with his swing at all. It's more his implementation of that swing that ran him into trouble this year. The couple TCU games I got he actually swung it really well. Apparrently, he was just a little overly aggressive. Then, the more he struggled the more aggressive he got.

One thing that jumps out to me, however, is that TCU is a HUGE pitcher's park. From my limited looks this spring, I just have a hard time believing he was as "bad" as his numbers indicated. I'd sign him to third round money -- maybe late 2nd -- without much hesitation. I believe in the bat and I'd want to get him started.

As an aside, in the Shadow draft I ran I actually selected him in the 9th Round, with the idea that he'd take $500-650K or so to sign. Good read by Jordan and Co. to hold off until the 12th.

• 4 weeks later...
Coats is batting .343 in 18 games on the Cape with seven doubles so far...

Heard reports of a more patient approach. Still striking out a bit much but also taking walks and going to the gaps. Not hurting his case, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Despite a recent mini-slump, I hear the Orioles like what they've seen of Coats in the Cape. I think a deal gets done soon.

Good to hear. I think it's really important to add guys with potential like Coats, Roney, Delmonico. I'd also like to throw some money at Chris Mariscal because he would give us another young SS to work with, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Despite a recent mini-slump, I hear the Orioles like what they've seen of Coats in the Cape. I think a deal gets done soon.

A little bird told me the Orioles thought they had a deal done with Coats until he suddenly decided against taking their offer. Looks like more waiting games. Coats sounds like he has some promise, but the Orioles should be wary of going too high on him. At some point you have to be willing to let him go back and see what he gets as a 22-year old senior sign (Note: Very few seniors up their value).

A little bird told me the Orioles thought they had a deal done with Coats until he suddenly decided against taking their offer. Looks like more waiting games. Coats sounds like he has some promise, but the Orioles should be wary of going too high on him. At some point you have to be willing to let him go back and see what he gets as a 22-year old senior sign (Note: Very few seniors up their value).

Yep, got this info today. He was removed from two straight games, scout thought they had terms in place, now a roadblock. Disappointing. The primary scout assigned to check on Coats has left the Cape already, so there's not much more he can show them. They know what he brings- limited profile in LF, good bat speed and some solid pop, discipline/approach issues and some slight contact issues. A solid bat without much positional value that should bring in 3-5 round money. If they've offered him 400K+ and he's turned it down, it's upsetting.

Also, re: your parenthetical note, seniors stand less of a chance of upping their value with the prospect of harder slotting on the horizon.

Archived