• No, you said hitters are far more of a sure thing. It's right up there, a few posts ago.   Why do other teams ever draft pitchers?  Are they stupid? Why doesn't every team just draft hitters and trade them for pitchers?
    • That’s wishful thinking.  I’m not trying to be a buzzkill on a Friday. That’s why I didn’t start a new thread. But the Yankees are a thing. They have the assets in the minors to pull off a trade for a SP and 2-3 bats at the deadline. Rental bats are cheap at the deadline compared to arms. Sometimes it’s just absorbing the contract basically. 
    • This sounds reckless or maybe he's just that high on his speed that he thinks he can leg anything out.  And that he's playing against better competition than he did in college.  Maybe in college he makes it to third because the RF doesn't gather it cleanly, hit the cutoff, etc.   Or maybe he's just that reckless. 
    • It really does feel like this team is just a closer away from having no real holes. So the quotes from Hyde about getting him right and needing him and all that are true (until there's a deal). We know they're not DFA'ing Kimbrel, but I would hope they at least consider IL (if an option) or relegating him to mop up at least for a week or two to work on things. Put Suarez or Cano or Coulombe in the 9th for the time being.  Overall, though, I don't really like any of our guys in 9th and do think a deal (Helsley?) is needed. I love Cano and Coulombe as set up. I'd like to continue to see what Suarez can do in the pen. Perez and Webb seem like solid options in middle relief. Baumann and Kimbrel are the obvious issues at the moment and if I'm being honest, I still don't quite trust Akin. 
    • I actually tend to agree re: having skepticism, but I think a little perspective is in order. The O's knew the hitting profile they were drafting. They just drafted him in the middle of last summer. He's in his first full year of minor league ball. He's playing in a league where a lot of our guys have struggled. Everyone knew significant swing changes were part of his plan. Even with all of that backdrop, as others have pointed out, he's not really doing that bad. So we're less than a year out (much less in baseball days) and we're going to start drawing conclusions about a guy we knew had to develop? At this point, I think Bradfield and the O's deserve a grace period to let the kid develop. It's just waaaaay too early to draw any conclusions, IMO. I've never seen Kenny Lofton potential, but that doesn't mean he can't turn into a first division CF for many years.
    • I think this is a case where OPS might not be the best metric to determine the player.  He's not a power hitter, he's probably not going to be any kind of a power hitter.  I'm not saying he's Ichiro but Ichiro's career OPS was .757...and I don't think that really encapsulates what that guy brought to the table.   What to look for, I believe, is what RZNJ has taken note of, that he's not slapping the ball but he's actually driving it to parts of the ballpark.  That, and his walk rate/OBP.  Right now, there's a .100ish separation between his batting average and his on base percentage.  That's fantastic. So many times we look at what players aren't instead of what they are.  Bradfield was drafted for his elite speed in the field and on the bases and that he's got a good eye at the plate.  He was never advertised as a power hitter, it's unlikely he'll ever have a lot of pop.  And that's okay if he can get on base at a good clip because if he's on base he can do damage.   That's all to get back to my original point, I don't think OPS is the correct metric to measure him by when half of that metric isn't part of his game.
  • Popular Contributors