Best Minor League Stadium You have Watched a Game

BaysoxFan39

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without a doubt Bright House Field in Clearwater. Cheap tickets, great food, concession stands facing the field. Only a couple years old so all the modern amenities. Best of all - the Tiki Bar in left field. Its like going to a bar and a baseball game suddenly breaks out.

Salem's Red Sox Field is my favorite because that is where we won the 1999 Division 3 National Championship and I had a front row seat or a view from the Bullpen. But as far as watching a game I would say either Tides Park in Norfolk or Harry Grove Stadium.

I like a lot of the ones already mentioned, but I am also a fan of the Arkansas Travelers' ballpark in Little Rock. I was there two summers ago and saw a few games. And, as an added bonus, I met Brooks Robinson there.

Or I should probably say that I met Brooks Robinson there and as an added bonus, I saw a few games.

I haven't been to too many minor league parks, but Damaschke Field in Oneonta, NY was one of my favorites. No flashy on field crap, no annoying PA announcers, or anything else of that. Just good old fashion, clean, baseball, with views of the mountains to boot. It's a darn shame that baseball left there, but I hope it will one day come back, because it's a great, pure baseball experience.

Mile High Stadium; Rochester Redwings (Int'l League) vs. Denver Zephyrs (Amer. Assoc.) when they had interleague play; Ben McDonald scheduled to start. I had seats right behind the Rochester dugout. Then they announced that Big Ben had been used in relief the night before wasn't available to pitch that night. He was replaced by John Mitchell, a guy we got out of the Mets system, and he pitched a two or three-hit shoutout, IIRC.

I'll rank them based on my experiences.

1. Harbor Park (Norfolk Tides): Something about this park almost brings in something of a true mini-Baltimore feel. Right on the water, decent size and typically a decent number of fans, solid intimate environment... yet you feel like you're at a relatively big-time event. Oh and the Fried Twinkees are delish.

2. Prince George County Stadium (Bowie Baysox): Smaller than Harbor Park.... the carousel is a nice touch. GREAT selection of food/drink for a minor league team. Free parking is also a good touch.

3. PNC Field (Scranton Yankees): Boy Scranton did a poor job keeping this field up. It has the best scenic backdrop of any stadium I've ever been to... but seriously, you can't even put up a working jumbotron? Was at my second game there all time a couple weeks ago (and I was about 10 the other time I went to a game there) and the upper deck was almost completely empty... they announced 4K in attendance... but I'd be shocked if more than 3K were actually present.

4. The Diamond (Richmond Flying Squirrels): The girlfriend actually got me tickets for the Bowie Baysox vs Richmond Flying Squirrels game this past Saturday.... at least Scranton has a jumbotron screen present... The Diamond doesn't even have that. Hard to imagine a stadium only a few years older than Harbor Park can look so much more run down. That said, the Cupid seats (as the girlfriend had bought) are a nice idea. Too bad I was the only person in the entire lower deck area rooting for the Baysox.

My top 5 favorite:

1. Winston Salem Dash (BB&T Field)

2. Altoona Curve (Blair County Ballpark)

3. State College Spikes (Medlar Field)

4. Salem Avalanche/Red Sox (Lewis Gale Field)

Middle Group

1. Harrisburg Senators (New Metro Bank Park)

2. Frederick Keys (Harry Grove)

3. Hagerstown Suns (Municipal Field)

Milb Park least likely to ever visit again:

1. Potomac Nationals (Pfitzner Stadium)

Favorite Spring Training Ballparks:

1. O's (New Ed Smith Stadium)

2. Phillies (Brighthouse Field)

3. Pirates (Mckechnie Field)

4. Astros (Osceola County Stadium)

5. Tigers (Joker Marchant Stadium)

Archived