Best Minor League Stadium You have Watched a Game

BaysoxFan39

Silver stadium in Rochester.

Honestly not a great park. But it was where I went as a kid so I'll always have a soft heart for it, and I've never actually been to a minor league game in any city other than rochester.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's Scranton!!

Yep, the Columbus Clippers were the Yankee affiliate for a long time, but recently, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons have become the affiliate for the Yankees and have changed their name to reflect that.

Silver stadium in Rochester.

Honestly not a great park. But it was where I went as a kid so I'll always have a soft heart for it, and I've never actually been to a minor league game in any city other than rochester

I know what ya mean here. I grew up as a kid going to Peninsula Pilots games at War Memorial in Hampton, VA. Place was a complete dump, even in the late 80s and early 90s. They've fixed it up a bit and it still kept the charm.... but that's probably charm due to childhood nostalgia and not because it actually has charm.

I've only been to a few but have really enjoyed Harry Grove Stadium and PG Stadium. Also saw the Baysox in Memorial Stadium in '93 - saw Harold Baines play there on a rehab assignment. PNC in Scranton is great with the backdrop as is Victory Field in Indianapolis. I saw Jake Arrieta's AAA debut there in '09.

I should have added the "Diamond" to my list. That place is ancient. It was a "half" replica of Fulton County Stadium in Atlanta. The Braves pulled out of Richmond and the place lay dormant until the AA Conneticut Defenders moved there last year. The city and owners made a few million in improvements and it is still a nice park to watch a game minus the new park amenities. In two years there will be a new stadium built next to the Diamond if the city gets it's act together. I have been there many times to watch the Baysox play the Squirrels. They average about 6,300 a game and the ushers wear golf hats (Greg Norman Style).

Ha Ha Ha.... you actually suggested "City of Richmond" and "get their act together" in the same sentence. It'll be half a decade before the city of Richmond actually takes action and gets that stadium built IMO. Frankly, progress hasn't moved forward since the Squirrels have moved in.... so MAYBE at the earliest, something will get done by 2015 or so. I also get the impression that a new Richmond Coliseum is higher on the agenda so they'll probably build that first.

Ha Ha Ha.... you actually suggested "City of Richmond" and "get their act together" in the same sentence. It'll be half a decade before the city of Richmond actually takes action and gets that stadium built IMO. Frankly, progress hasn't moved forward since the Squirrels have moved in.... so MAYBE at the earliest, something will get done by 2015 or so. I also get the impression that a new Richmond Coliseum is higher on the agenda so they'll probably build that first.

I know what you mean. My sister and daughter live in Richmond. They joke about the city council would rather build another shrine/monument for a confederate general before they would spend a dime on a stadium or anything that would entertain youth or draw people to the city. The city fathers fought tooth and nail to prevent a new stadium from being built in downtown Richmond 4 years ago because it would increase visitor "traffic" near the historical district. I do see them putting a stadium next to The Diamond and you could be right. The Squirrels lead the Eastern League in attendance and are on track to repeat this year. The attendance alone will give the city plenty of time to build a new park.

The Royals have a new park here in Omaha for their AAA team. I went today and they did a nice job. I was concerned they would follow the Mallpark trend that's been prevelant. It replaced Rosenblatt which bummed a lot of folks out. Former home of the College World Series.

Archived