MATUSZ at AAA-Norfolk

OFFNY

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I understand why Matusz wasn't in shape. He went to API in the offseason, for the 3rd year in a row:

API provides a nutritional program, as well as a workout routine that fits each athlete. Matusz and Tillman haven't received their schedules, but they'll stay for two or three hours each day, Monday through Friday. It lasts about 13 weeks.

"Typically, you go in and have breakfast and do your workout - lifting and agility work, core-type work and conditioning," Matusz said. "You pick up a protein shake for lunch and take your dinner home.

"You go in there and find out your goals, what you want to do - build muscle, mass, lose weight - get on a nutritional and workout program and go from there.

"My main goal is to work on my flexibility a lot. I want to get my hips a little bit more flexible and put on some muscle mass, get stronger, get my legs stronger, put on little bit more weight. I don't really need to lose fat. And on the cardio side, I just want to get in good running shape, mostly long distance-type running to get me on track and get me prepared for spring training."

Matusz looked stronger at the end of this season, going 6-0 with a 1.57 ERA over his final eight starts, though we know that's not really possible, according to manager Buck Showalter. He just wasn't as tired as some other pitchers.

"I've been doing this API program the last two offseasons and it's something that's worked for me," he said. "It's not just working in the offseason. You're able to maintain it through the season. I was able to work with (strength and conditioning coach) Joe Hogarty and get on a program that was a good fit for me for the year and kept me on track, kept me strong.

"There was a period in the middle of the season where I struggled a little bit. Things weren't going my way, but it was more of a mechanical thing. I knew I was strong and in shape. It was just a matter of getting things together. I still felt strong at the end of the year. And it was the same last year, though I got shut down.

"It's a matter of getting your body in shape in the offseason and being able to maintain it through the season. And that's one thing I talked to Tillman about and why I thought API was such a good program. It'll help you prepare for spring training, but you'll also have a routine and know what you need to do to stay healthy during the year and stay strong through the end of the season. That's our main goal. And to be a playoff-caliber team, you've got to be strong at the end of the year and go through the end of October.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/10/matusz-and-tillman-ready-to-work.html

It's not as though Matusz sat on the couch eating carbs all winter.

I believe that virtually every restriction or team control mentioned in this thread would have to be negotiated in the collective bargaining agreement with the MLBPA. It's not as easy as we think it should be.

I was thinking of this. It's true if the team wanted to mandate say a conditioning program, or checking in with staff periodically. They could just have an agreement with our players tho. :noidea:

Not sure I understand why Matusz wasn't in shape. He went to API in the offseason, for the 3rd year in a row:

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/10/matusz-and-tillman-ready-to-work.html

It's not as though Matusz sat on the couch eating carbs all winter.

It's not just a matter of working out, but also having a solid throwing program in the offseason. The fact that he's 8 pounds under (and not sure if that's an issue of muscle or not..most likely?) is also pretty damn telling. Could be related to a variety of things: his myriad of injuries, for example.

It's not just a matter of working out, but also having a solid throwing program in the offseason. The fact that he's 8 pounds under (and not sure if that's an issue of muscle or not..most likely?) is also pretty damn telling. Could be related to a variety of things: his myriad of injuries, for example.

It could be as simple as he's one of those people who eat and eat and can't keep weight on. He said he pitched better last year at 200, but that is still very thin for someone who's 6'4".

It could be as simple as he's one of those people who eat and eat and can't keep weight on. He said he pitched better last year at 200, but that is still very thin for someone who's 6'4".

He just looks frail, and he looks like hes going to faint when its hot outside, he really, really, seems to labor in the heat.

Oh, and he looks like this guy -

newmann.jpg

brianmatusz17mlb.jpg

Matusz gave up an unearned run in the second inning. The Mud Hens runner got TWO extra bases when Matusz tried to pick him off of first base, but the ball got away from Jake Fox, and the runner went all the way to 3rd base. He subsequently scored on a sacrifice fly to the next batter.

Archived