Lots of talks with the Angels today

bigbird

There has been some really good posts about why Bedard should be traded now rather than waiting until the deadline. The risk of his value declining (because of injury or poor performance) far outweighs whatever he'd do for us over the first few months of the season. If he's going to be traded, I think it should be over the winter.

Furthermore, no, I don't think the FO is playing a disinformation game with us. I don't think there's attempts to deliberately mislead the message boards. On the other hand, I do think they play guessing games on who leaks info based on what shows up here. I guess that's their own little game to play over the winter.

Anyway, there are some teams that currently match up well with us as trade partners. I just hope that other transactions don't change that dynamic too much. We finally have value to trade... there are compatible clubs, with needs to fill, who could use our players. It would be just our luck to have other trades with other clubs torpedo our best chances at improving the club.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bedard is a whole other animal all right. A far less valuable one.

If the Yanks aren't going to part with Joba, Hughes or Kennedy for Miguel Cabrera, then they sure the heck aren't going to part with any of them for Bedard.

I'm pretty sure they said they wouldn't part with those guys for offense, but that getting pitching might be a different story. I don't have a link or anything so take it for what its worth.

Sorry man, but you're in never, never land IMO. I love Roberts, but I trade him for Wood and Santana in a New York minute.

The trade you're proposing is ridiculously one sided toward the Orioles. Kendrick is likely to be just as valuable as Roberts next year by himself. Now, consider that Kendrick is like 4 years from FA and Roberts is 2. Adding in Adenhart makes it a laughable request IMHO.

I agree. Wood could probably put up similar numbers to Roberts with more power almost instantly. Santana is DCab revisited, but it'd be worth it to get Wood.

If the Yanks aren't going to part with Joba, Hughes or Kennedy for Miguel Cabrera, then they sure the heck aren't going to part with any of them for Bedard.

Also, I get the feeling as much as you claim folks here overvalue our guys, that you undervalue them just as much.

The point is that Bedard has had two straight seasons where he ranged from good to absolutely dominant. Whether its right or not, some of the guys running these teams either have short memories or make panic moves. For example, someone is going to give Torii Hunter, a guy with a lifetime OPS under .800, a 5/75 deal. Why? Because he's coming off of a career year. There are plenty of examples (i.e. Aaron Rowand, Carl Pavano, Jeff Suppan, Gary Matthews)

I'm not sure Cabrera is more valuable than Bedard. He may be, but Bedard is hardly "far less valuable". They are each only signed for two more years with no guarantee to resign. There are concerns about both. I'd give up more for Cabrera than Bedard, but I'm not sure that all of the other GMs feel the same way. Its not about what we would do, its about who needs what and how badly they want it. What happened last year means a ton. Otherwise, Miggy would be more valuable and Bedard would be less valuable.

:rolleyes:

Ryan Dempster is "far less valuable" than Cabrera. Melvin Mora is "far less valuable" than Cabrera. Darin Erstad is "far less valuable" than Cabrera.

Bedard is a dominant lefty who has two more arb years before free agency. He might be slightly less valuable, but admit it... you're just trying to incite a riot with this post.

That is a horrible trade for Roberts. Wood and Adenhart would be the package and that wouldn't be enough most likely. If I was trading Roberts to the Angels, Kendrick and Adenhart would be the return I'd be looking for...

I was trying to be conservative. I'd love to get Adenhart and the reason I didn't put Kendrick in there is he was mentioned as going for another trade.

So Moore, the guy who Trembley BARELY gave a look to last season, will now miraculously be our cleanup hitter? :confused:

I hesitated putting him there. The only reason I did is so you cold see where Tex would hit the following year. I would not bat him there for the year. It was just convenient for the purpose of showing he was not the long term answer at first.

I hesitated putting him there. The only reason I did is so you cold see where Tex would hit the following year. I would not bat him there for the year. It was just convenient for the purpose of showing he was not the long term answer at first.

Gothca! Excellent post, I agree! :D

Not to mention, I am ALL OVER signing Tex next year at all costs. Right Burds?;)

I agree. Wood could probably put up similar numbers to Roberts with more power almost instantly. Santana is DCab revisited, but it'd be worth it to get Wood.

50 2Bs and 50 SBs+ homerun power? If he could do that instantly, he'd be playing everyday in Anaheim.

Also, I get the feeling as much as you claim folks here overvalue our guys, that you undervalue them just as much.

The point is that Bedard has had two straight seasons where he ranged from good to absolutely dominant. Whether its right or not, some of the guys running these teams either have short memories or make panic moves. For example, someone is going to give Torii Hunter, a guy with a lifetime OPS under .800, a 5/75 deal. Why? Because he's coming off of a career year. There are plenty of examples (i.e. Aaron Rowand, Carl Pavano, Jeff Suppan, Gary Matthews)

I'm not sure Cabrera is more valuable than Bedard. He may be, but Bedard is hardly "far less valuable". They are each only signed for two more years with no guarantee to resign. There are concerns about both. I'd give up more for Cabrera than Bedard, but I'm not sure that all of the other GMs feel the same way. Its not about what we would do, its about who needs what and how badly they want it. What happened last year means a ton. Otherwise, Miggy would be more valuable and Bedard would be less valuable.

Bedard: two years of good to absolutely dominant, with injuries every year. WARP3's of 7 and 8. Age 28.

Cabrera: two years of absolutely dominant with not a hint of merely good, and no injuries. WARP3's of 11 and 11. Age 24.

I don't want to get into a semantic argument over the precise definition of "far less" value versus just "somewhat less" or "a little less". Suffice it to say that Cabrera's value is above Bedard's.

Put it this way. If I'm the Dodgers, I might give you Kershaw and Kemp for Bedard. I'd give you those two, plus at least LaRoche, and possibly LaRoche and another good prospect for Cabrera.

Bedard: two years of good to absolutely dominant, with injuries every year. WARP3's of 7 and 8. Age 28.

Cabrera: two years of absolutely dominant with not a hint of merely good, and no injuries. WARP3's of 11 and 11. Age 24.

I don't want to get into a semantic argument over the precise definition of "far less" value versus just "somewhat less" or "a little less". Suffice it to say that Cabrera's value is above Bedard's.

Put it this way. If I'm the Dodgers, I might give you Kershaw and Kemp for Bedard. I'd give you those two, plus at least LaRoche, and possibly LaRoche and another good prospect for Cabrera.

Davearm, please try not to lower the biased over-valuing of our own players with facts. ;)

Yes, Miguel Cabrera is worth more than Bedard.

I'm crawling back into my shell (Terp pun). You're the tree in the forest unless you have 1000+ posts on this board. Not a personal issue with you 24fps (love the handle).....just an overall observation.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth in what you say, and I'll try to bear my lowly status with dignity and good humor. ;)

I'm not sure I completely understand why you're telling me this right now though. :confused:

You picked out one part of my argument, but you didnt even address it in the way I laid it out. You know very well that I'm not saying Bedard's previous two years should make him as valuable as Cabrera. I even said so in my post. What you can get for a guy and what a team would be smart to give up for that guy are two different things.

Realistically, you can't dismiss something because you wouldn't do it. I wouldn't even give up Kershaw and Kemp for Bedard, but it doesn't mean I don't think the Orioles could get at least that for him.

Archived