Lots of talks with the Angels today

bigbird

I am in totally agreement. This is pretty much the peak, not much more he can do, only thing I see is downside.

I see that we could possibly get a slightly higher package, but the risk of getting much less is more likely.

This is, and has been, my thinking. When you're looking at the level and quantity of talent we could get for Bedard RIGHT NOW, I don't think it's wise to risk waiting until July.

Could Bedard improve? Maybe. Could a contender get more desperate for pitching than they are now? Sure. But if we hold onto him, and he gets injured, or has a down year, we will have set this organization back a couple of years.

The upside ain't much higher, but the downside is absolutely disastrous. Do it now.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every team needs a starter like Bedard.
Can every team afford to give up the talent necessary to get him? Why should Boston, New York, Tigers, or any of these teams who are fairly flush with pitching give up a bunch of position player prospects, to get one more SP? Much better for them to go the FA route.

Man..your talking like an agent now.

Well its true...He is a great pitcher in his prime right now.

I would love to re-sign him and have him here for the next 4 years but he is worth more to us in a trade than what he does on the mound.

It is as simple as that.

Plus, giving 5+ years and 15+ million dollars to ANY pitcher is a mistake IMO.

Can every team afford to give up the talent necessary to get him? Why should aoston. New York, Tigers, or any of these teams who are fairly flush with pitching give up a bunch of position player prospects, to get one more SP? Much better for them to go the FA route.

The Yankees certainly should give up what it takes. Their pitching is very uncertain.

Tigers? Maybe, maybe not.

Boston? Maybe not Boston but they would certainly be tough to beat in the playoffs with him, even moreso than they are now.

The FA route for pitchers this year is terrible.

That would be the dream scenario

I might be one of the biggest Bedard fans on this board, but honestly, I'd rather have the prospects. Bedard is our Beckett, and that's great. But that means little unless we have our Ortiz, Ramirez, Papelbon, Varitek, etc.

We just have too many holes to start getting attached to guys like Bedard (or Roberts and Tejada). Markakis is different because he's young enough that he'll be in the middle of his prime when guys like Kershaw, LaRoche, Pie, etc. will be ready.

Every team needs a starter like Bedard.

Yuuup and now is the time to make them give till it hurts (and the giving team would NOW have the time to fill any newly created holes). As an example--we get Laroche and Kemp---The Dodgers can sign or trade for another OF and third baseman...NOW. If they are in a dogfight at the deadline and if Loney is hitting 360 and Laroche has 30 dingers---harder to replace that at the deadline. At least now you have the free agents (such as they are this year). Optimism prevails is usually the motto this time of year........at least for teams who win more than they lose at least once every 10 years.

Well its true...He is a great pitcher in his prime right now.

I would love to re-sign him and have him here for the next 4 years but he is worth more to us in a trade than what he does on the mound.

It is as simple as that.

Plus, giving 5+ years and 15+ million dollars to ANY pitcher is a mistake IMO.

This is 100% right.

What are we gonna do next year? Win the wild card? The AL East?

If you're going to rebuild this mess, Bedard is the key to expediting that. I don't like to speak in absolutes, but this is just a fact.

Yuuup and now is the time to make them give till it hurts (and the giving team would NOW have the time to fill any newly created holes). As an example--we get Laroche and Kemp---The Dodgers can sign or trade for another OF and third baseman...NOW. If they are in a dogfight at the deadline and if Loney is hitting 360 and Laroche has 30 dingers---harder to replace that at the deadline. At least now you have the free agents (such as they are this year). Optimism prevails is usually the motto this time of year........at least for teams who win more than they lose at least once every 10 years.

Excellent post. It needs to be emphasized that while contenders might get more desperate for top players at the deadline, they'll also be less willing to give up players that can help them that year. Right now, for example, Matt Kemp is a possibility. He sure as hell won't be in July. The guys we need are ML-ready guys, and if you wait until the deadline, you're going to be restricted by the circumstances on the team at that moment.

So if he declines an extension, The O's are just going to hold on to Bedard til the deadline? My guy and I are asking this to our insiders.

Dpends who wants to step up to the plate. BB is right we could get more from a desperate team in July BUT, there just might be a deperate team to get off to a good start and impress their fans and a new manager. HINT HINT Dodgers

This is, and has been, my thinking. When you're looking at the level and quantity of talent we could get for Bedard RIGHT NOW, I don't think it's wise to risk waiting until July.

Could Bedard improve? Maybe. Could a contender get more desperate for pitching than they are now? Sure. But if we hold onto him, and he gets injured, or has a down year, we will have set this organization back a couple of years.

The upside ain't much higher, but the downside is absolutely disastrous. Do it now.

Think of how much we are spending to have him on the team next season. Figure he makes like ~7 mil for this upcoming year. Why spend ~3.5 mil (for half the season) for someone that isn't going to help draw that many more fans. That money could be used to spend on our non existent international talent.

On top of who may become available on the market also come July. C.C. Sabathia is one guy that could be available at the trading deadline. He is someone that definitely could be hurt our market.

Understand everyone will be looking for pitching. But there are only so many teams that have what we want and are willing to trade it.

This is just an example.

If we can get Kershaw, Laroche, and Preston Mattingly right now.

But if we hold out till July we can get Hu instead of Mattingly. Is that difference really worth it? Probably could draft or have an international signing for that 3.5 mil we save by dealing Bedard right now.

Dpends who wants to step up to the plate. BB is right we could get more from a desperate team in July BUT, there just might be a deperate team to get off to a good start and impress their fans and a new manager. HINT HINT Dodgers

Please no Royal talk. ;)

Dpends who wants to step up to the plate. BB is right we could get more from a desperate team in July BUT, there just might be a deperate team to get off to a good start and impress their fans and a new manaher. HINT HINT

Alright let me take a stab at this one, MFY's?, or Dodgers?

Archived