Lots of talks with the Angels today

bigbird

This is a bit of received wisdom on this board that I find to be specious.

The Dodgers' farm system - and I include guys like Kemp and Loney in that, even though they have already had some success - is LOADED.

They can afford Cabrera and Bedard. They'd have to give up one or both of Kemp and Loney (which would be stupid, IMO), but they could do it.

But why would they? Frankly I think they would be better off going for Bedard than MCab. If they go for both they will seriously deplete their farm system.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The price of Cabrera is four of Kemp, Loney, Kershaw, Billingsley and LaRoche. Who is left after that that would be worth trading Bedard for?

1.) Where is that coming from?

2.) Even if four of those guys go to FLA, which is absolutely insane, then you take the fifth guy (I'd go with Loney) plus three of Elbert, Hu, Meloan, Ethier, etc. I'd prefer Kershaw, LaRoche and Hu, but I'll gladly take one great and three good prospects instead.

Yuuup and now is the time to make them give till it hurts (and the giving team would NOW have the time to fill any newly created holes). As an example--we get Laroche and Kemp---The Dodgers can sign or trade for another OF and third baseman...NOW. If they are in a dogfight at the deadline and if Loney is hitting 360 and Laroche has 30 dingers---harder to replace that at the deadline. At least now you have the free agents (such as they are this year). Optimism prevails is usually the motto this time of year........at least for teams who win more than they lose at least once every 10 years.
Right and this is an excellent point.

Teams are a lot less willing to trade from their core during the season.

And if LaRoche, Hu and Kershaw all really blow up this year? Instead of getting all 3 of them now, maybe we only get 1 or 2 of them.

Just way too much that can go wrong.

1.) Where is that coming from?

The Dodgers would have to give up four players from a group that includes pitcher Chad Billingsley, pitching prospect Clayton Kershaw, third baseman Andy La Roche, first baseman James Loney and outfielder Matt Kemp. The Dodgers probably would balk at giving both Billingsley and Kershaw in the same deal because it would hurt the organization's pitching depth.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2007/11/13/1113marlins.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

Haha..no problem. Just hilarious that we may not even be talking to LAA about either Bedard or Tejada.

It would be nice to know who we are targeting from the Angels...Gotta think Wood is a target...I am sure we like Adenhart but I don't think you can get both of those guys.

Because they are consatantly in the 'win now' mode, and Bedard would make them virtually unstoppable.

Torre is also a manager who LOVES pitching...

If he's smart he went to Colletti and was like "I won with dominant pitching in the AL...just get me some arms, and it will be even easier in Dodger Stadium, and the NL in general."

You'll notice that the great Yankee teams were based around pitching...the huge offensive #'s never got them a ring...and Joe knows that!

They may for Bedard...A Kennedy/Melky/Tabata or Jackson/Farnsworth deal would be nice.

You really like that as much as LaRoche, Kershaw, and Hu? A #3 SP, a mediocre CF, a questionable RP and a good AA OF prospect? I'd take Jackson and Kennedy but I would need better than MelCab and Farnsworth.

Does anyone ever get the idea that sometimes these "insiders" are using us? For their own reasons. Running a disinformation campain?

Really why would MacPhail want us to know anything? The man seems really tight lipped. I mean Flannagan doesnt even know where his office is gonna be next week for gosh sake.

I would take anything said by the old "inside guys" with a grain of salt. Their sources probally arent even in the brain trust anymore.

You really like that as much as LaRoche, Kershaw, and Hu? A #3 SP, a mediocre CF, a questionable RP and a good AA OF prospect? I'd take Jackson and Kennedy but I would need better than MelCab and Farnsworth.

No...The Dodgers are who I am hoping he goes to.

Melky is better than you are giving him credit for.

Archived