Do you think Peter Angelos Owes the Fans Answers?

Greg Pappas

I guess I just don't know what he has to answer for this year?

2/4 acquisitions have been wonderful.

Markakis has struggled

Jones has played very well

Wieters has been a mixed bag

Almost every young starter has been injured.

Does he have to answer to international presence and minor league structure - yes. But I don't see how anything that has happened this season is really anyone's fault but the team on the field (managers included).

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I just don't know what he has to answer for this year?

2/4 acquisitions have been wonderful.

Markakis has struggled

Jones has played very well

Wieters has been a mixed bag

Almost every young starter has been injured.

Does he have to answer to international presence and minor league structure - yes. But I don't see how anything that has happened this season is really anyone's fault but the team on the field (managers included).

Wow...How about the entire structure of his terrible organization? That's kind of important, don't you think?

Do you guys feel that a CEO should answer to the stockholders?

Of course, they have a legal obligation to do so. Angelos has a duty to answer to the minority owners, but no duty to answer to fans. Does the CEO of a company have a duty to answer to his consumers if they are buying exactly what they thought they were getting?

Of course, they have a legal obligation to do so. Angelos has a duty to answer to the minority owners, but no duty to answer to fans. Does the CEO of a company have a duty to answer to his consumers if they are buying exactly what they thought they were getting?
If the product is awful? Sure why not.

In a way, season ticket holders are stockholders...They have an investment in the company and expect a return on that investment. Just because it is not a financial return, doesn't mean anything.

In a way, season ticket holders are stockholders...They have an investment in the company and expect a return on that investment. Just because it is not a financial return, doesn't mean anything.

Nah, they are customers.

No, not even close. If I love to shop at Sears, and won't change allegiances, do I have any right to complain that Home Depot or Lowe's has better selection and better prices? Of course not. Season ticket holders are nothing close to stockholders. The only return they can expect on their "investment" is to be able to attend the games. Now, that doesn't mean they can't complain and threaten to take their business elsewhere, but the owner owes them absolutely nothing except the right to watch the games they purchased.

If so, what are the questions that he should answer to?

It is a shame that some will argue that any team owner would not owe its fans answers after what will likely be atleast a decade and a half of consecurtive under .500 performances. More than answers he owes us resolution and a hope that times will change. Do the answers to most questions really matter? The only question that needs to be answered is "What are you going to do now to guarantee that the Orioles will be yearly contenders for the AL East crown from here on out?" and even then, Peter Angelos owns a business and that business is making money hand over fist. If the Orioles continue to lose, Peter Angelos still wins.

They aren't stockholders in the traditional sense but they do expect a return on their investment.

Fans who purchase tickets are merely consumers purchasing a product; There is no expected return over and above getting to attend a game on the given date. The expected return on investment in the stockholder sense relates to an appreciation in value over and above the initial investment.

They aren't stockholders in the traditional sense but they do expect a return on their investment.

There is no investment and no risk. Season ticket holders are only customers. Now if you would like to give Peter a few million of your own money to become a minority owner, with the risk that your millions could shirnk or be lost completely...then you become a stock holder. Right now if the O's go out of business you don't lose anything....other than your favorite brand.

It is a shame that some will argue that any team owner would not owe its fans answers after what will likely be atleast a decade and a half of consecurtive under .500 performances. More than answers he owes us resolution and a hope that times will change. Do the answers to most questions really matter? The only question that needs to be answered is "What are you going to do now to guarantee that the Orioles will be yearly contenders for the AL East crown from here on out?" and even then, Peter Angelos owns a business and that business is making money hand over fist. If the Orioles continue to lose, Peter Angelos still wins.

No, it's a shame that it is true. Maybe it should be different, but professional sports, as currently constructed, just isn't that way.

Do real estate offices owe home buyers anwers to questions about why their home values are depreciating? That's way more of an investment than buying tickets to a baseball game.

Archived