8/12/11 - Detroit @ Baltimore

nevadaO

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is accurate. And that is why the announcer uses the phrase "coming to bat" in between the half innings of the first. Otherwise they would say "Tigers 1, Orioles, 0." And they never use that phrase after that from the second inning on. Only in between the top and the bottom of the first, when one of the teams has not yet come to bat at all.

That doesn't really make sense.

People want to hear the score every other inning, especially people that could just be turning the game on. They don't need to say zero in the middle of the first because it's pretty obvious the home team has zero. But I guess it depends on the announcer.

That doesn't really make sense.

People want to hear the score every other inning, especially people that could just be turning the game on. They don't need to say zero in the middle of the first because it's pretty obvious the home team has zero. But I guess it depends on the announcer.

They don't say "zero" because they have not yet batted. Just as they don't announce the score as "0-0" before the game, they say what the visiting team has whatever runs that they have, and the home team is "coming to bat" in between the top and the bottom of the first innings ... and never do they use that phrase when announcing the score for the rest of the game.

I'll try to research it, and when I find out that I am wrong (which I almost always am), I will promptly admit it to both you and Paul. :)

Maybe it was a bad call if Matt nicked him on his cleats, but if Nick had made a better throw (closer to the plate and not up the line), it would have been moot because he would have been out by a large margin. Bad teams seem to usually have those things go against them.

They don't say "zero" because they have not yet batted. Just as they don't announce the score as "0-0" before the game, they say what the visiting team has whatever runs that they have, and the home team is "coming to bat" in between the top and the bottom of the first innings ... and never do they use that phrase when announcing the score for the rest of the game.

I'll try to research it, and when I find out that I am wrong (which I almost always am), I will promptly admit it to both you and Paul. :)

If you're just going to go by what announcers say, then what did they say when the Tigers scored in the top of the first? Probably something like "The Tigers take a 1-0 lead" or "The Orioles trail, 1-0." Doesn't that indicate that the Tigers, indeed, had the lead, and the Orioles were trailing?

If you're just going to go by what announcers say, then what did they say when the Tigers scored in the top of the first? Probably something like "The Tigers take a 1-0 lead" or "The Orioles trail, 1-0." Doesn't that indicate that the Tigers, indeed, had the lead, and the Orioles were trailing?

Paul, as I said, I will research it just to make sure that I am wrong, and then I will tell you. :)

Take heart, guys. We're an inch or two from still being up 2-1. Plus, Simon has hung in there in two very potentially adverse situations. I think that we still have the momentum in this early phase of the game. :)

Archived