What kind of contract do you think Markakis would have gotten this offseason if he were a free agent

Frobby

I'm just curious, there has been a lot of talk about whether we should put Nick on waivers and let someone else take his contract, or whether he'll be overpaid the next three years.

If Nick were going to be a free agent this offseason (which he would have been if he hadn't signed his extension in 2009), what do you think he would have received on the open market this offseason. How many years, and how much money? And where would he rank on the list of eligible FA outfielders?

Here are the other OF options this winter (per Cot's):

Bobby Abreu LAA * (* - player whose current contract includes 2012 option)

Rick Ankiel WAS

Carlos Beltran NYM

Milton Bradley SEA

Pat Burrell SF

Mike Cameron BOS

Coco Crisp OAK

Michael Cuddyer MIN

Jack Cust SEA

Johnny Damon TB

David DeJesus OAK

J.D. Drew BOS

Jeff Francoeur KC *

Kosuke Fukudome CHC

Jonny Gomes CIN

Gabe Gross OAK

Vladimir Guerrero BAL

Carlos Guillen DET

Scott Hairston NYM

Willie Harris NYM

Raul Ibanez PHI

Conor Jackson OAK

Andruw Jones NYY

Austin Kearns CLE

Jason Kubel MIN

Ryan Ludwick SD

Hideki Matsui OAK

Nate McLouth ATL *

Jason Michaels HOU

Laynce Nix WAS

Magglio Ordonez DET

Juan Pierre CWS

Juan Rivera TOR

Cody Ross SF

Grady Sizemore CLE *

Matt Stairs WAS

Nick Swisher NYY *

Marcus Thames LAD

Josh Willingham OAK

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arguably only Cuddyer, Kubel and Willingham are better on that list. Maybe 4-5 years 8-11 million a year?

Cuddyer: 32 years old, 111 OPS+ over his career, 11.8 rWAR

Kubel: 29 years old, 113 OPS+ over his career, 6.6 rWAR

Willingham: 32 years old, 121 OPS over his career, 12.3 rWAR

Markakis: 27 years old, 117 OPS+ over his career, 19.3 rWAR

I like all four players, but give me Nick every day and twice on Sunday. Willingham may be a slightly better hitter, but he hasn't been very durable and he's a mediocre defender.

I would say something in the 4-5 year range for 12ish million a year.

Yea, I was going to say something along the lines of 4/44. He's basically a 3-win player coming off a down year with some upside. So say he's worth 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2 wins over the next four years. Even assuming zero inflation that would be worth about a 4/50 deal.

I'd say something similar to Francouer but a little bit more because of his defensive reputation. I'll say 2/16 maybe with an option year as well.

Which, of course, you're only saying because you've previously and publicly entertained the thought of waiving Markakis because he's not an MVP candidate or some such thing.

Which, of course, you're only saying because you've previously and publicly entertained the thought of waiving Markakis because he's not an MVP candidate or some such thing.

The Orioles could use the money elsewhere. Markakis is not worth 3/42 in his current form of only giving 2-3 months worth of production.

The Orioles could use the money elsewhere. Markakis is not worth 3/42 in his current form of only giving 2-3 months worth of production.

Well, sure he is. Unless you want to argue that no Oriole should be earning much more than league minimum as they strip down the franchise and rebuild it from the cinderblock and wall studs.

Yea, I was going to say something along the lines of 4/44. He's basically a 3-win player coming off a down year with some upside. So say he's worth 3.5, 3, 2.5, 2 wins over the next four years. Even assuming zero inflation that would be worth about a 4/50 deal.
And considering players rarely sign for what they should sign for, he may even get a 5/75 type deal.

He's an interesting question. I think he'd certainly get a long deal (5ish years) based on his durability and consistency (sprinkled with a dash of "he'd probably come alive if he got the Hell out of Baltimore"). But as for the yearly dollar amount...10-12, I'd guess. I'd be surprised by less, and less surprised by more.

Archived