Rosenthal: Buck Has "Carte Blanche" From Angelos

BaltimoreTerp

Thank gods. I'm cool with him being the manager, I just don't want him acquiring talent. Here's hoping they raid the TEX organization for some talented front office people and really do things the right way from now on.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming Buck doesn't want the GM job but has carte blanche in regards to the job, does that mean he will essentially get to choose the GM? Is that an unusual situation? I'm thinking that the manager of the team is usually more of an employee or direct report to the GM. This seems like it could be the reverse of that, almost like the tail wagging the dog.

Assuming Buck doesn't want the GM job but has carte blanche in regards to the job, does that mean he will essentially get to choose the GM? Is that an unusual situation? I'm thinking that the manager of the team is usually more of an employee or direct report to the GM. This seems like it could be the reverse of that, almost like the tail wagging the dog.

It IS an unusual situation.

It IS an example of the tail wagging the dog.

But if the choice of who chooses the next GM is:

A) Peter Angelos

B) Buck Showalter

I'm going to vote for B.

And, obviously the new GM won't be able to hire a new manager. He'll know that Buck helped get him his job and has Angelos'

ear, so even if he wants to, it's not going to happen. Yes, that is a bit dysfunctional, but no moreso than the situation we already

have where MacPhail wasn't allowed to get rid of certain people that theoretically worked under him.

Never understood the anti Rosenthal crowd. He's always been a good columnist, but of course that does not make him an expert. I'm biased though, because I always remember him being very classly and generous to me at the 2000 Winter Meetings.
Rosenthal, and his mentor, the sainted John Steadman, helped lead the charge to run Eddie Murray out of town. I can probably count on one hand the number of articles that Ken wrote which didn't criticize Cal's streak, that is, before the record was broken.

The day Pete Angelos signs Albert Pujols to a mega-buck multi-year deal, I'm headed to church, rosary in hand, because the four horsemen of the Apocalypse can't be too far behind.

Well, we DID just have an earthquake and a hurricane....if we get locusts I'm thinking anything is possible.

Rosenthal, and his mentor, the sainted John Steadman, helped lead the charge to run Eddie Murray out of town. I can probably count on one hand the number of articles that Ken wrote which didn't criticize Cal's streak, that is, before the record was broken.

This is my memory, too. And a reason why I've always had a presumption against him.

Though, honestly, I think with time we begin to understand that (i) the mistakes we make when young shouldn't dog us forever; (ii) Murray wasn't always the easiest guy for a reporter to be fond of (though they shouldn't have let it get in the way as much as they did).

This is my memory, too. And a reason why I've always had a presumption against him.

Though, honestly, I think with time we begin to understand that (i) the mistakes we make when young shouldn't dog us forever; (ii) Murray wasn't always the easiest guy for a reporter to be fond of (though they shouldn't have let it get in the way as much as they did).

I really like Eddie Murray as a person and I think Cal is a very fine Man, not just a ball player. If they have been totally phony when I have spoken with them and observed them with others then I am a fool. Any mukrakers that write trash about them or have stirred the pot to make a name for themselves are uncool in the Weams book.

Can someone give me the textbook definition of "carte blanche"?

Not sure of your age, TS, but I know I'm a few years younger than "Lucky Jim." I vaguely remember these controversies, but not with the details necessary to really grasp either situation. Rep to either of you or anyone else who can provide some of the background/details of those affairs. Thanks in advance.

Archived