Rosenthal: Buck Has "Carte Blanche" From Angelos

BaltimoreTerp

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eddie wore a gold chain around his neck containing the words (IIRC) "Silent Eddie". This was pretty much the way he treated the press. Early in his career they misquoted him and he never forgave them. Eddie largely ignored the media and rarely spoke with them directly. For this grievous sin, the press went after his blood, finally spilling it when his skills began to decline. They blamed Eddie for everything and eventually managed to convince a significant portion of the fan base that he was the cancer that caused the Orioles to decline.

This is strictly from memory and may not be entirely accurate.

All I know is that Cal regarded Eddie as his closest friend and teamate.That's enough for me.

Peter Angelos: do exactly what I say.

Lol. You beat me to it. I was going to say something about not being able to fire the Stockstills, but whatever.

Look, anyone who thinks Peter Angelos is going to have a creative, carefully considered search for the best mind in the game to totally remake this franchise is a total moron. I think Buck is a good baseball guy. In any capacity, the answer from PA could be worse than Buck. I'll take it because I fear the alternative (some schmuck who's totally under Peter's thumb) a lot more.

I want to make clear, though my memory of the 1980s is far better than my memory of the 1990s, it's still just that, a memory. And it's possible it's the result of reinforcement over the years. I've built a reasonable belief that I remember correctly based upon after-remarks like those in the articles linked. That said, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Even if it's the case, however, I'm not going to hold 25 years of a grudge against someone I don't even know. Rosenthal may be a good guy. As far as second chances go, I'd hope (but certainly not expect) that folks would treat me the same way.

This is ridiculous. The right move is to hire an all powerful GM who will select his own manager. To give a manager gm responsibilities is a classic mistake of bad organizations looking for a quick fix. Not surprising Peter would fall into this trap. He quite possibly is the worst owner in the last twenty years of any professional franchise. Leave it to him to get the right idea, autonomy by the baseball people, and implement it the wrong way!

This is ridiculous. The right move is to hire an all powerful GM who will select his own manager. To give a manager gm responsibilities is a classic mistake of bad organizations looking for a quick fix. Not surprising Peter would fall into this trap. He quite possibly is the worst owner in the last twenty years of any professional franchise. Leave it to him to get the right idea, autonomy by the baseball people, and implement it the wrong way!

Honestly, what do you expect? Having Buck in a powerful position in this organization is a step above what I expect from PA, even if poorly executed.

Honestly, what do you expect? Having Buck in a powerful position in this organization is a step above what I expect from PA, even if poorly executed.

Please name the last manager with gm responsibilities to win a world series. This isn't better then what we have, this is worse.

Please name the last manager with gm responsibilities to win a world series. This isn't better then what we have, this is worse.

If you have any hope of Angelos putting in a management team capable of winning the world series, you're in a different place than me.

I'm sure I don't disagree with your wishes, however, I don't see any scenario at all where Angelos goes in that direction.

Let's see if I understand this correctly. PA has signaled that Buck has "carte blanche" including the option of remaining field manager, but really he could have all the powers of a GM if he so chose. In other words all the powers of the person PA has to later persuade to be Buck's ostensible boss if Buck decides to stay put. Now Buck would first have to turn down this opportuity in order for PA's second (by definition inferior) choice to step into the professional black hole that is the old B&O Warehouse. In short, Buck by exercising his choice would establish his position of innate superiority over whoever takes the GM job - a situation that would not be lost on any executive with an IQ above that of a turnip.

Am I alone in viewing this as analogous to the management practices that have reputedly screwed up the minor league and development departments in such royal fashion?

Archived