Phillies asked for & received permission to interview Jordan (Jordan reportedly accepts position)

Greg

This is a promotion for Joe so I'm happy for him. He's moving to a better organization where his abilities will be utilized to their fullest. Joe had always said it would be better for the Orioles to have guy in charge of both player development and scouting so it would have one voice. It sounds like he will get his wish with the Phillies.

As for the Orioles, they found a way to marginalize a man who found a promotion with an organization that contends every year. You be the judge.

Agreed. Nice guy, great baseball mind, great personality for a prominent role in any organization. I'm happy for Joe and eager to see him flourish in Philly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a promotion for Joe so I'm happy for him. He's moving to a better organization where his abilities will be utilized to their fullest. Joe had always said it would be better for the Orioles to have guy in charge of both player development and scouting so it would have one voice. It sounds like he will get his wish with the Phillies.

As for the Orioles, they found a way to marginalize a man who found a promotion with an organization that contends every year. You be the judge.

Well that seems a little harsh. Lets be real, Jordan did an ok job but its not like he did much to make the Orioles feel as though they had to keep him. To say the Orioles "marginalized" him is kinda ridiculous. When you compare the results and development of the players Jordan picked to the players picked by other organizations who have drafted in similar position, those results do not paint a picture where you say to yourself....wow we cant let this guy get away. Saying he did OK is being rather generous IMO.

The only true top notch prospects in this system are Bundy, Machado and Schoop. Throw in the other Bundy (who I think is legit) and really there is only a bunch of fringe prospects sprinkled throughout the system. I will grant you that Jordan's results are skewed by the fact that he has an incompetent development system taking over once he drafts them. At the end of the day, Jordan really did nothing to deserve being retained regardless who the new GM is. That development system is such a mess that whoever comes in should have the ability to bring in a whole new team, hell i pray they do for our sake.

I wish Joe the best. Think he is a good guy, solid baseball man and did his best. Just time for both parties to move along

Well that seems a little harsh. Lets be real, Jordan did an ok job but its not like he did much to make the Orioles feel as though they had to keep him. To say the Orioles "marginalized" him is kinda ridiculous. When you compare the results and development of the players Jordan picked to the players picked by other organizations who have drafted in similar position, those results do not paint a picture where you say to yourself....wow we cant let this guy get away. Saying he did OK is being rather generous IMO.

The only true top notch prospects in this system are Bundy, Machado and Schoop. Throw in the other Bundy (who I think is legit) and really there is only a bunch of fringe prospects sprinkled throughout the system. I will grant you that Jordan's results are skewed by the fact that he has an incompetent development system taking over once he drafts them. At the end of the day, Jordan really did nothing to deserve being retained regardless who the new GM is. That development system is such a mess that whoever comes in should have the ability to bring in a whole new team, hell i pray they do for our sake.

I wish Joe the best. Think he is a good guy, solid baseball man and did his best. Just time for both parties to move along

Well that's the issue, JJ didn't have any input on development, only the initial scouting and drafting. Stockstill is to blame for that. In Philly he'll be able to do both.

In what way was Jordan marginalized? He seemed to have almost absolute discretion within his realm.

I am glad he has gone to a better team...but let's face it, he didn't do some incredible job here. He did a decent job and, by your accounts, he could do what he wanted.

So, if that was the case, then I don't know that I would say he has been some great success here in Baltimore.

If he didn't have full control and couldn't do what he wanted, then all bets are off.

I like what others have said...We could do worse but we could do better. He was solid but not overwhelming.

In what way was Jordan marginalized? He seemed to have almost absolute discretion within his realm.

It sounds like in his new role he'll oversee scouting and player development as an assistant GM? There was perceived by many outside the organization (and even a few within) that a disconnect exists between the two departments.

Well that's the issue, JJ didn't have any input on development, only the initial scouting and drafting. Stockstill is to blame for that. In Philly he'll be able to do both.

Agreed, its a good move for Jordan and frankly I look at it as a good sign for the Orioles. If they let Jordan go I have no doubt that the Stockstills wont be long for this organization either. I tend to think the decision has been made by Buck to overhaul the entire development system top to bottom and that is a much needed thing. Sometimes a fresh start is a good thing for all parties involved.

This Buck guy better be as smart as he sounded on BBTN.

No pressure, Buck. Really. No pressure.

Honestly, I hated Buck on BBTN.

I thought he was an old washed up turd with an awful accent. Then he became the O's manager and all was forgotten...sorta ;)

Agreed, its a good move for Jordan and frankly I look at it as a good sign for the Orioles. If they let Jordan go I have no doubt that the Stockstills wont be long for this organization either. I tend to think the decision has been made by Buck to overhaul the entire development system top to bottom and that is a much needed thing. Sometimes a fresh start is a good thing for all parties involved.

We can only hope this is the case.

How do you have any idea whether my statement is true of not? First off, calling my statement ridiculous when you don't have the access to the information I have shows you to be nothing more the equivalent of a radio call-in caller. Joe has been saying for years that the Orioles needed a guy to overseas all scouting and development and without publicly lobbying for it, he would have been the perfect guy to do this. In this sense, he was marginalized by the Orioles since he could only control amateur scouting, a job that required him to take a lot of opinions of other scouts and then try and draw conclusions. You can argue over the success of his time as scouting director, but as someone who has had the luxury of multiple long conversations over the years with Joe, I can tell you that he had more to offer than just as a scouting director.

Now you can draw your own conclusions all you want, but the Phillies apparently agreed and gave him the role he was seeking. In addition, Jordan was not in MacPhail's "circle of trust" from what I understand. I'm not saying they didn't talk or discuss things, but he was not brought into the discussions over the bigger picture. In my opinion, this means he was marginalized.

Joe has been saying for years that the Orioles needed a guy to overseas all scouting and development and without publicly lobbying for it, he would have been the perfect guy to do this. In this sense, he was marginalized by the Orioles since he could only control amateur scouting, a job that required him to take a lot of opinions of other scouts and then try and draw conclusions. You can argue over the success of his time as scouting director, but as someone who has had the luxury of multiple long conversations over the years with Joe, I can tell you that he had more to offer than just as a scouting director.

Now you can draw your own conclusions all you want, but the Phillies apparently agreed and gave him the role he was seeking. In addition, Jordan was not in MacPhail's "circle of trust" from what I understand. I'm not saying they didn't talk or discuss things, but he was not brought into the discussions over the bigger picture. In my opinion, this means he was marginalized.

So, will there be a scouting director and a farm director under Jordan in Philly, or is he essentially holding both jobs simultaneously? And is that how most teams do it?

I can't feel excited or disappointed by this. I don't know how much freedom Jordan had. Even Hobgood - my only criticism was that he went cheap. That Hobgood busted is dust in the wind. But it's very possible, maybe likely, that Jordan was working under serious constraints when he made that pick.

I can't feel excited or disappointed by this. I don't know how much freedom Jordan had. Even Hobgood - my only criticism was that he went cheap. That Hobgood busted is dust in the wind. But it's very possible, maybe likely, that Jordan was working under serious constraints when he made that pick.

He wasn't. That pick was on Jordan, pyre and simple. Value for value, Hobgood was the guy he wanted there. He just felt the other guys weren't worth the money they were asking and felt Hobgood would obviously better than he's shown. Hobgood was just a bad pick.

Archived