Roch: Next GM must be on same page as Buck

ChaosLex

We're going to get someone that's a GM version of Kevin Millar or Mike Hargrove. Someone who just wants to keep working, doesn't really matter if they win or lose so long as they get paid and don't extremely embarrass themselves. No GM who really wants to win or create a legacy for themselves is going to come here. They know that this is not the place for that to happen. It would be like an ambitious chef going to work for Taco Bell.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're going to get someone that's a GM version of Kevin Millar or Mike Hargrove. Someone who just wants to keep working, doesn't really matter if they win or lose so long as they get paid and don't extremely embarrass themselves. No GM who really wants to win or create a legacy for themselves is going to come here. They know that this is not the place for that to happen. It would be like an ambitious chef going to work for Taco Bell.

Very much possible. That's why I say we're playing a fools game getting excited about a bright young executive and all the names on our wish list who we might get. The final list of candidates will be far more sobering. And in the end we only get one. And that one will have to overcome several Mount Everest sized obstacles to be successful.

Who we get isn't as important as what they do. Wining and dining ability should be a huge determining factor as the next GM will need to be a great salesman among other things.

I'd love to see the interview process that measures "wining and dining ability". Just, wow....

I don't know.. The job has some perks really... There is a built-in excuse if the new GM fails. I would even go as far as to say that if the new GM fails here it will barely blemish his/her chances to get another job unless they make completely boneheaded decisions. If he/she succeeds well that is a pretty big accomplishment. Sort of a no where to go but up scenario and if you don't go up well it can be blamed on the meddlesome owner.

By contrast, whoever takes over Boston will have no excuses and their metric will be WS wins.

There is something to be said about expectations and perceptions. I don't think this job is all that entirely unattractive.

I don't know.. The job has some perks really... There is a built-in excuse if the new GM fails. I would even go as far as to say that if the new GM fails here it will barely blemish his/her chances to get another job unless they make completely boneheaded decisions. If he/she succeeds well that is a pretty big accomplishment. Sort of a no where to go but up scenario and if you don't go up well it can be blamed on the meddlesome owner.

By contrast, whoever takes over Boston will have no excuses and their metric will be WS wins.

There is something to be said about expectations and perceptions. I don't think this job is all that entirely unattractive.

I understand this line of thinking but I don't really buy it. There is about a 90% chance the new GM will be wallowing in feces due to PA and his policies. I don't think prospective GMs will actively be looking for the job with the excuse, they will be looking for the job that allows them at least a fighting chance to succeed.

I understand this line of thinking but I don't really buy it. There is about a 90% chance the new GM will be wallowing in feces due to PA and his policies. I don't think prospective GMs will actively be looking for the job with the excuse, they will be looking for the job that allows them at least a fighting chance to succeed.

Where did you get your 90% figure from? Just kidding.

I hear you. Whether a GM candidate will think along those lines or not I really can't say, but it is the truth.

Who we get isn't as important as what they do. Wining and dining ability should be a huge determining factor as the next GM will need to be a great salesman among other things.

"I don't care about the nitpicky details of building a car. I just want it to win the race!"

"That's great. You don't understand how reality operates."

This is why those that can neither do nor teach rant inanely on message boards.

"I don't care about the nitpicky details of building a car. I just want it to win the race!"

"That's great. You don't understand how reality operates."

This is why those that can neither do nor teach rant inanely on message boards.

With the exception of the phrase "huge determining factor" I agree with Trea's premise that the next GM will have to be a great salesman. It appears it is something AM wasn't good at and given that state of this organization it is going to take a major selling job (along with money) to get anyone here.

With the exception of the phrase "huge determining factor" I agree with Trea's premise that the next GM will have to be a great salesman. It appears it is something AM wasn't good at and given that state of this organization it is going to take a major selling job (along with money) to get anyone here.

Well, I would be happy (and think a team could construct a winning team) with a GM who never signed a larger free agent contract than one year and 5M total value. So I think wining-and-dining is just Trea's code for "I slipped and hit my head on the kitchen counter again." An ambulance is en route.

Archived