Roch: Next GM must be on same page as Buck

ChaosLex

The next GM/president of baseball ops/choose a title must be on the same page as Showalter. That's the only way the arrangement will work. Showalter won't want to give the impression that he's interfering or overstepping whatever boundaries exist in baseball. The new hire won't be delusional enough to think Showalter won't have a lot of influence on any decisions made in this organization.

The Orioles aren't looking for a puppet. No one would take the job if it comes with strings attached. (See what I did there?) He'll just need to share the same vision as Showalter, which shouldn't be too difficult. I don't think there are drastically different opinions on what needs to be done here.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/10/whats-next-in-the-gm-search.html

I'm curious to hear more of Buck's "vision" for the future...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, this is a key line:

I don't think there are drastically different opinions on what needs to be done here.

I disagree with Roch here. I think the opinions are very different and it what really needs to happen is what PA has never committed to do. So, as Chaos said, what is Buck's vision and will it really be attacking what really needs to be attacked?

I disagree with Roch here. I think the opinions are very different and it what really needs to happen is what PA has never committed to do. So, as Chaos said, what is Buck's vision and will it really be attacking what really needs to be attacked?

I have a feeling that Buck's vision is more in line with Trea...ie, improving the major league team. Improving the system is a more daunting task and one that needs to be done and will give us a better chance of maintaining any success at the Major League level, but I just don't think Buck is thinking along those terms right now. Now, if he moves to the front office in a year or two, that vision may change, but I think right now he is in the Al Davis mode...."Just Win Baby!"

I wonder how many potential GM's would be interested in bowing to the manager's POV?

A young one looking to break into the fraternity and establish some cred certainly might. If it wasn't too obviously a subservient role, I could see it working, but I would be surprised if any established former GM would accept the position given the current expectations of Buck's influence going forward.

I have a feeling that Buck's vision is more in line with Trea...ie, improving the major league team. Improving the system is a more daunting task and one that needs to be done and will give us a better chance of maintaining any success at the Major League level, but I just don't think Buck is thinking along those terms right now. Now, if he moves to the front office in a year or two, that vision may change, but I think right now he is in the Al Davis mode...."Just Win Baby!"

I think you are on to something here Dip... The problem with having the manager being an intregal part of the decision making process is that the manager (especially one with only 2 years left on there contract) has a conflict of interest. As you say.. Just Win Baby. That works is in some situations but I don't know if that is the best approach for the O's

I wonder how many potential GM's would be interested in bowing to the manager's POV?

I think it's going to come down to someone deciding to be our GM instead of the Orioles deciding that we want a certain candidate to be our GM. It's probably been that way all along, but with Buck here and having a big say in who becomes GM, that's the way it's gonna be.

I think the system needs to improve as well, but if we are going to be players if FA than so be it. I can get behind a better on the field product. I can also see how quality players on the field could mean that prospects are not rushed to the big leagues. We also would have the added benefit of letting some of those quality FA's go and netting additional picks or dealing them to add to the system.

All of that being said, who wants to play for the Orioles? How much more is it going to cost to get them here and how long are they willing/wanting to stay? I know JTrea may disagree, but those answers matter.

I think Riccardi would be a former GM would wouldn't have a problem with Buck's Trean vision.
Yep...I have a bad feeling he is the "clubhouse leader" for the job.

Gotta think if that happens, Jones is going to get a big time contract extension, ala Wells...Not as much money but still, a big contract extension should be expected IMO.

Yep...I have a bad feeling he is the "clubhouse leader" for the job.

Gotta think if that happens, Jones is going to get a big time contract extension, ala Wells...Not as much money but still, a big contract extension should be expected IMO.

Well, there are worse things than that. I know you are all for trading him, and I would too for a good package, but I have no issues extending Jones.

Yeah, if anyone looks at this site I think would be obvious that there are drastically different opinions on what needs to be done.

I'm guessing I won't be a huge fan of Buck's vision.

Archived