A hint of a rumor that you will like

Frobby

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His interest in Texas was all about starting his own RSN with the Mavericks. I think Baltimore already having one, which he will not necessarily even have an interest in, would limit the appeal of the team.

That's a good point and goes along with what I said about wanting to create value. One way to do it is start an RSN for a team that doesn't have one. Pittsburgh is one of those teams as are the Dodgers.

I just returned from an event and ran into an old acquaintance who is very plugged in to the Baltimore sports business scene. I asked him when he thought Peter Angelos would sell the team. My acquaintance said that, from what he is hearing, Angelos is thinking about it now.

My source does not work for the Orioles, but he is in a business where, if someone was beginning to make preparations to sell a team, he would hear about it. He didn't share any specifics with me, and I wasn't in a position (in a room full of people) to question him further.

So, don't even call this a rumor, just a hint of a rumor. And say your prayers.

If only we could be so fortunate, after his generational reign of terror (hyperbole, I know, I can't help it).

An estate the size of Angelos' won't be able to hide much of it from transfer taxes. Avoiding probate has little to do with avoiding the estate tax.

This is accurate. Trust planning will only go so far in an estate as big as PA's. The estate tax will be an issue for PA's estate. However, any amounts left to Mrs. Angelos outright or in a QTIP trust will not be subject to estate tax until her death. Also, there could be income tax motivated reasons to sell now such as using capital loss carryforwards which could offset the capital gains on the sale of the O's.

Hard to say, but at the end of the day its possible the federal estate tax laws could result in the team being on the market.

The Orioles are not going to leave Baltimore. That kind of speculation makes me laugh every time.
All about that stadium lease.

No... it's all about Baltimore being a good market with an excellent stadium. Ok, the lease plays a role, but even without it they wouldn't be going anywhere.

Show me another market where the O's could readily move and be more successful. There aren't any.

No it isn't. Give me a list of cities in a financial situation conducive to helping pay the bill on a new baseball stadium. How many cities are out there that have an unused ballpark that can accommodate baseball until a new stadium gets built?

I was more pointing towards a specific aspect in Baltimore itself. You're correct in everything you say.

No... it's all about Baltimore being a good market with an excellent stadium. Ok, the lease plays a role, but even without it they wouldn't be going anywhere.

Show me another market where the O's could readily move and be more successful. There aren't any.

There are zero, though I always think of Portland as a place MLB should look into.

No it isn't. Give me a list of cities in a financial situation conducive to helping pay the bill on a new baseball stadium. How many cities are out there that have an unused ballpark that can accommodate baseball until a new stadium gets built?

Stade Olympique, Montreal. Hasn't quite collapsed yet.

BC Place in Vancouver was originally configurable for baseball. I'm sure you could shove a diamond in there somewhere, even if it was like the LA Coliseum with a 250-ft LF fence. Same with the SuperDome in New Orleans.

RFK is still standing (barely). If Washington could almost support two major league teams in 1884, maybe they still could!

The Charlotte Motor Speedway could easily fit several baseball fields in the infield. Or, one with 1700 ft power alleys! And it seats 140,000!

Harbor Park in Norfolk might be able to squeeze 20k into the place if you re-instituted the old pre-WWII custom of roping off part of the outfield for standing room.

I'm sure you could play Arena Baseball in some places like the Alamo Dome or the Carrier Dome.

Lots of options...

Archived