We are all pissed and rightfully so...What can the Orioles do this offseason to change that?

Sports Guy

Perhaps the reason the Orioles want a GM by Monday is because Buck put his foot down on the search...

And let's stop acting like LaCava was the greatest GM in the history of the planet and his refusal of the O's job has now basically made it so the O's have to contract the franchise.

There are plenty of other good candidates out there such as Oppenheimer that could still take this job.

And I still have the confidence Buck knows what it will take to compete in the AL East and will move the Orioles in that direction in a big way this offseason.

Love that you're ever the optimist, Trea. :)

Buck shoulda put his foot down on LaCava tho...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love that you're ever the optimist, Trea. :)

Buck shoulda put his foot down on LaCava tho...

You can't make somebody take a job they don't want.

And I still think Anthopoulos played a huge role in convincing LaCava to turn down the job...

LaCava was willing to work around Stockstill and was offered plenty of money, so PGA should not recieve the majority of blame here IMO. He was even going to let him bring in seven of his guys, something I don't think any GM under Angelos has been allowed to do. If you want to blame somebody for LaCava turning down the job, blame Tony LaCava.

LaCava knew what he was in for, and he strung the Orioles along IMO.

But the fact that Angelos is Angelos and the fact LaCava is on a Top 20 GM list means that Peter Angelos is to blame for everything in the whole entire process.

I just can't wait until we get a GM and finally start making some huge moves to silence the Angelos bashing.

I'm not saying it hasn't been warranted in the past, but it's getting really tiring to hear over and over again, and it is creating a perception problem among the Orioles when that problem may no longer exist on the scale people think it does.

Either way, we'll know one way or another this offseason when it actually gets going...

Now back to the regularly scheduled Angelos bashing...

And I still think Anthopoulos played a huge role in convincing LaCava to turn down the job...

LaCava was willing to work around Stockstill and was offered plenty of money, so PGA should not recieve the majority of blame here IMO. He was even going to let him bring in seven of his guys, something I don't think any GM under Angelos has been allowed to do. If you want to blame somebody for LaCava turning down the job, blame Tony LaCava.

Oh, come on Trea...

But the fact that Angelos is Angelos and the fact LaCava is on a Top 20 GM list means that Peter Angelos is to blame for everything in the whole entire process.

I just can't wait until we get a GM and finally start making some huge moves to silence the Angelos bashing.

I'm not saying it hasn't been warranted in the past, but it's getting really tiring to hear over and over again, and it is creating a perception problem among the Orioles when that problem may no longer exist on the scale people think it does.

Either way, we'll know one way or another this offseason when it actually gets going...

That's one take on Angelos... and I admire you for it!

I think he showed his ass this week. And I have absolutely no hope for the future. DOOMED til Angelos or any of his offspring are NOT in charge of this team.

:( DOOMED.

I said the word Offspring... to lighten the mood...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NHfY6VTRUFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know I'm being used!

That's ok because I like the abuse!

Come on now....... His first interview was on the 19th. Angelos didn't attend and the Orioles called him back for a second interview on the 31st....he declined their offer the next day. How is that stringing us along?

Let's play a game....How many delusional things can you say in one post?

This post has a lot...can you beat that?

Why do you continue to stick up for PA when every piece of evidence out there points at him being the issue? Why do you continue to ignore everything that is said nationally by those in the know? If guys loke Heyman, Gammons, Law and Olney came out and said that AM was terrible and its all his fault, would you believe them then? Do you only believe things that are bashing AM but not PA?

BTW, I know you will ignore this but try not to...Try to actually have a real conversation about this if you are capable. Don't run away from it because you don't want to back up your points.

So lets see.. LaCava is interviewed by the "search committee". Roch reports that if offered LaCava would take the job, LaCava interviews with PA, LaCava turns down job because staying in Toronto is suddenly so enticing. Meanwhile virtually every national and local reporter reports that the issue was that LaCava would not being able to get rid of some front office people. This issue has hindered all previous GMs under Angelos for many years based on Tony and others reporting...

Ergo... LaCava strung the organization along and Angelos was more than accommodating.

Oh yeah and you are defending Angelos, the same guy who hired, kept on, and then basically begged to return AM who is your arch enemy..

I forgot, Buck is running the show... of course he can't fire Angelos' cronies either.

"Can't win" and "choose not to win" are two different terms.

They have the resources to win in the near term so they can indeed win. Whether they choose to utilize them or not is what we will have to see.

If they bust the budget, go into serious debt, wildly overpay for a ton of free agents (who they drug and coerce into siging with this mess of an organization), and somehow avoid the wrath of MLB, it's possible (although still not likely) that they could win in 2012.

You don't just choose to turn a well established 60-something win team into a 95 win team overnight. You have to do some unprecedented things that MLB most definitely doesn't want you to do and are probably not possible, and have a ton of luck on top of that.

"Utilize resources" and "go into hock up to your eyeballs to buy a bunch of lottery tickets" are two different terms, too.

Cindy has never, ever been this delusional. You were much more realistic when you expected MacPhail and Angelos to offer Tex a 10/250 deal.

Wow, that's a lot of Trea delusions in a single post. Not sure if I've seen that many before since he was convinced 100% that Tex was about to see the wow offer.

Anyway, JTrea, refresh my memory, have you openly acknowledged that Angelos's #1 choice for O's GM in 2012 was Andy MacPhail? But Andy turned it down? What does that tell you?

Let's play a game....How many delusional things can you say in one post?

This post has a lot...can you beat that?

Why do you continue to stick up for PA when every piece of evidence out there points at him being the issue? Why do you continue to ignore everything that is said nationally by those in the know? If guys loke Heyman, Gammons, Law and Olney came out and said that AM was terrible and its all his fault, would you believe them then? Do you only believe things that are bashing AM but not PA?

BTW, I know you will ignore this but try not to...Try to actually have a real conversation about this if you are capable. Don't run away from it because you don't want to back up your points.

Olney came out and said Angelos was not as involved in Baseball Ops as people thought he was. But that suddenly gets ignored when Olney jumps on the blame-Angelos/Bash the Orioles train.

And all those writers made MacPhail seem like a victim. So it's hard to believe them.

There is a clear anti-Orioles bias in the media, but that's because of the struggles we've been having. Once there is a percieved wounded team out there, the media pounces to blow everything out of proportion and to sensationalize.

Once we start winning, they'll turn their attention to another team that is struggling.

Then how in the world do you expect the Orioles to get Prince Fielder to take the Baltimore Orioles' first base job?

Why wouldn't Prince want to play in Baltimore? Great park, fans, chance to hit 40+ HR every year and gets to compete against the Yankees and Red Sox.

The key is going to be the $ offered and the recruiting job.

LaCava turned down the situtation not because of money, but it seems because of the restrictions.

Executives that have a job and player free agents that are looking for one are two different situations.

Why wouldn't Prince want to play in Baltimore?
Really? I can understand thinking that other factors might outweigh the bad, but if you can't think of a reason why he might not want to play in Baltimore, then this discussion is pointless, because your opinions have no basis in reality. It's like arguing with someone over whether our government is actually run by aliens.

Archived