Dubroff: Orioles want Fielder "badly"

JTrea81

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Seattle is a top competiter for him. They could improve a lot in their division by adding his offense. I question Texas. They should be focusing on improving their SP, and they would have to move Young to keep Fielder at 1B. I don't see SF going after him, they need a SS and an OF. The Gnats are unpredictable and could be in on Prince big time. But if I were a GM for any of these teams I would start with a low bid in terms of years. All of those clubs have good reasons not to sign him, and cheaper alternatives. I think the Prince FA will go well into Jan. with Boras trying to up the price.
Texas has the money to address pitching and add Fielder.

There only needs to be one team and there will be one team...the Orioles will have to be better than that one crazy team.

There only needs to be one team and there will be one team...the Orioles will have to be better than that one crazy team.

MLBN had Fielder AND CJ Wilson going to the Nats the other night. Now, I tuned in late, so it may have been one of those..."If the Nats sign these guys, then..." type of segments, but none the less, they made a good case for both guys ending up there.

That crazy team will more likely be the Gnats than Texas. PA is going to be cool with the Gnats signing the big FA this season?

That crazy team will more likely be the Gnats than Texas. PA is going to be cool with the Gnats signing the big FA this season?
I agree the Nats may be crazier than Texas but that's because they will have to be.

PA going to be cool giving out a 7-8 year deal for 22-25M a year?

I think Seattle is a top competiter for him. They could improve a lot in their division by adding his offense. I question Texas. They should be focusing on improving their SP, and they would have to move Young to keep Fielder at 1B. I don't see SF going after him, they need a SS and an OF. The Gnats are unpredictable and could be in on Prince big time. But if I were a GM for any of these teams I would start with a low bid in terms of years. All of those clubs have good reasons not to sign him, and cheaper alternatives. I think the Prince FA will go well into Jan. with Boras trying to up the price.

The Fielder contract has the potential or ruining a franchise like the Nationals. If Werth continues his ho-hum performance, and Fielder goes belly up in year 2-3 of his mega contract... the Nats would be lost. Two huge albatross contracts at key power positions. Not even Strasburg could save them. It would be an enormous risk for them to sign Fielder, IMO. Frankly, I would steer clear of Prince, and spread that money around. We need about 3 starting pitchers, a backup catcher, a second baseman (most likely) and possible upgrades at first, third and left field... to say nothing of the bullpen, where we need a closer.

I agree the Nats may be crazier than Texas but that's because they will have to be.

I just think his pride has been wounded a great deal lately, and he must be aware that he is the laughing stock of MLB. I think the Gnats outbidding the O's for Prince, might be more than he can stand. Steinbrenner wouldn't let something like that happen, and I think Pete's ego is as big as George's was.

I think the Fielder negotiations could go a lot like Vlad (the first time around). The O's or Nats or someone like that could have the high bid for quite a while, but as soon as a good, winning organization bids one dollar more he's signing. Now, that could be the Nats, as their baseline performance and distance to compete are more favorable than the O's.

But the only way I see him signing with the O's is for a contract that's so over the top it'll completely crush their faint hopes of acquiring the other ~15-20 wins on top of Fielder they need to compete.

You must spread some rep...

The Fielder contract has the potential or ruining a franchise like the Nationals. If Werth continues his ho-hum performance, and Fielder goes belly up in year 2-3 of his mega contract... the Nats would be lost. Two huge albatross contracts at key power positions. Not even Strasburg could save them. It would be an enormous risk for them to sign Fielder, IMO. Frankly, I would steer clear of Prince, and spread that money around. We need about 3 starting pitchers, a backup catcher, a second baseman (most likely) and possible upgrades at first, third and left field... to say nothing of the bullpen, where we need a closer.
I'm not advocating signing Fielder.I would be after Darvish. But I can see the Gnats going after Prince because of their owner and his willingness to throw cash around. Plus they are close to being a contender in the NL East. I think the O's priorities should be SP and a MOO bat 3B.

Report I heard elsewhere says the opposite. Big contracts coming up and they want to lock up Hamilton and try to keep Wilson. Texas with Fielder would be a sick lineup, but I don't think Texas will have their hearts in it.

Depends on how badly he wants to win. Duquette laid out bluntly what it would take to topple the Yankees and Red Sox in his interview...

I would imagine spending on premium FAs and bringing in premium talent via trades was part of that plan as Manny and Pedro did for Boston...

Archived