Sorry I am just looking into it too literally with the term market...

Just suprised he used the word "market"

It all comes down to Scouting and Player Development

I am interested to see his 3 year plan.

He was asked about his 3 year plan, and laughed it off. Basically said, he doesn't have a 3 year plan, and the plan is and should be to start getting better now, and to build a foundation that will sustain longterm success.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was asked about his 3 year plan, and laughed it off. Basically said, he doesn't have a 3 year plan, and the plan is and should be to start getting better now, and to build a foundation that will sustain longterm success.

Reporter: "What's your three year plan look like?"

DD: [video=youtube;OPcod8IS214]

Do you think he takes the major rebuild approach?
I don't really think this team is in position to do a major rebuild because we only have so many marketable pieces and only a few of them make sense to deal.

I personally do not see him extending Jones unless Jones signs for a lot less than he thinks he is worth(or at least what I think Jones thinks he is worth). So, I could see him exploring a trade...the question is, does he feel he has to rape a team to trade him?

I guess my question to people thinking there won't be any big free agent splashes because we have to "build the pipeline" and "rebuild" is why can't we do both? Build the pipeline and compete next year? Not saying it's simple, but why do we have to start trading people and start over? Now trading our good players for prospects is a faster way to improve our farm system (along with better scouting yadda yadda yadda), but I have to believe there is enough talent on this team that we can make some moves this off season and compete next year.

I think Fielder and a few upgrades in SP would go a long way for this team. Again I'm not saying this is in any way easy nor do I have some SP's in mind, but I think if you did this you would be showing the fans that you are attempting to compete now, and I don't see how you still couldn't start the rebuilding of your farm system and pipeline at the same time. Would it take longer by not trading away our players, yes, but who cares if you are competing NOW.

Jones - CF

Markakis - RF

Hardy - SS

Weiters - C

Reynolds - DH

Fielder - 1B

Guthrie - SP

2 upgrades at SP

2 of Matuz / Britton / Arietta / Tillman

I know I'm over simplifying it and haven't listed bullpen yet, but this isn't enough talent to compete? I think with what we have we shouldn't have to "start over and rebuild". I guess as I type, I realize it all comes down to Angelos and because of this I'm afraid that we will always be in this position until he is gone.

Its hard to build a pipeline when you have no draft picks and trade what little talent you have.

No...What's possible is that he just understands what needs to be done and spending money all willy nilly isn't what needs to be done.

I think Frobby is right...He will obtain some pieces..Whether he trades Jones or not is up in the air but whether he does that or not, he will look to add some pieces that he feels will help the team get better, specifically pitching.

I think we are essentially looking at what we have seen...Try to get some low risk players(low risk meaning short term deals, etc..), get some improvement and then move forward.

Now, one thing he may be willing to do is trade some of the better prospects for some premium level guys..problem is, we don't really have much in terms of the better prospects and because of that, I am not sure I see him dealing what we have based on what his philosophies are.

DD's plan was plan was pretty clear to me...

For now, establish as much value in your MiL system as possible and worry about what you do with them later. Until that happens, our options for long term success are limited. Sad, but true. Once the product of your strong MiL is competing at the ML level, add complementary pieces you might need to make the playoffs. Again, by having a strong MiL, it gives you more flexibility in how you can add those pieces. Either from within or via trade.

I got the impression he was generally opposed to major FA acquisitions, unless it's the to fill the 1 missing piece. As it is, we have about 6 of them.

Its hard to build a pipeline when you have no draft picks and trade what little talent you have.

The Orioles #1 draft picks are usually protected, as it will be this year. I agree, draft picks are very valuable to a team like the Orioles, but they really need to stop screwing up the 1st rounders, if they really want to see big dividends from the draft. Hopefully, DD can and will improve the organization in that regard.

You may as well leave right now, based on the presser. Duquette is committed to building an organization that can compete year in and year out, not to "winning now" as you put it.

"I'm a builder."

The way you get better is by "aggressive scouting."

"The team that has the best farm system is the team that competes year in and year out."

The right time to spend big on free agents is "when they can put you over the top." Spending big before then is "not a terrific use of resources."

"Our best players are going to have to come up through our farm system."

Every single word of this is correct. But as I have said a few times, it is one thing to say these things, and another thing to succesfully accomplish them.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Duquette isn't going into a big rebuild. He said that "the core is at a good age." He wants to "complement" the talent already here. So, I do expect him to make moves that he thinks will improve the team for 2012, but I don't expect him to go sign any of the top free agents, based on what he said.

And Buck seems to be on board with this approach, so where does that leave you?

That's exactly what he needed to say. Now, can he do it? The odds are heavily stacked against him. But at the very least he sounds like he's not going to be burning through most of his limited resources on Quixotic adventures in getting free agents to win now.

It sounds like a MacPhail like offseason, which would be just terrible.

The only hope is that Duquette's scouts are more apt at catching lightning in a bottle.

If they can win with that theory, then OK, but winning is the only thing that would bring me back if we don't show we are committed to winning now this offseason.

Slow and steady won't cut it, and I'm sure most of the fanbase will echo that with Camden green...

The fanbase has already gone. It's not going to go much lower no matter what. In any case, attendance bumps mainly happen the year after winning. Even your loopy plans to sign every free agent wouldn't have a substantial impact on 2012 attendance.

Which I basically agree with, minus a few nitpicks.

However, the fact that that plan was implemented terribly is perfect evidence that these pressers don't mean anything. He'll have to prove his commitment to the things he touts.

I do agree with him that with better scouting, better development staff, and a larger international commitment the basic framework of AM's plan is a good one. The question is whether Duquette can actually find, wrangle, and bring in that staff. Part of my skepticism regarding that lies in Duquette's absence from org. ball for 9 years (though I do think he's maintained some solid connections) and much of it lies in the fact that Peter Angelos is still the owner. Certain people will not leave the organization and some of them are in high-ranking positions.

I did like that Duquette basically thinks that "grow the arms, buy the bats" is too narrow in scope and that talent needs to be acquired by whatever means available. He'll just have to prove he can do that.

Yep, that's the crux of the problem. He says the right things, but can he do it? He'll have the standard issue Angelos shackles, and he'll have all the baggage of being out of the game for nearly a decade. It'll be an upset if it works, but at least he's not starting off by saying crazy stuff.

I guess my question to people thinking there won't be any big free agent splashes because we have to "build the pipeline" and "rebuild" is why can't we do both? Build the pipeline and compete next year? Not saying it's simple, but why do we have to start trading people and start over? Now trading our good players for prospects is a faster way to improve our farm system (along with better scouting yadda yadda yadda), but I have to believe there is enough talent on this team that we can make some moves this off season and compete next year.

I think Fielder and a few upgrades in SP would go a long way for this team. Again I'm not saying this is in any way easy nor do I have some SP's in mind, but I think if you did this you would be showing the fans that you are attempting to compete now, and I don't see how you still couldn't start the rebuilding of your farm system and pipeline at the same time. Would it take longer by not trading away our players, yes, but who cares if you are competing NOW.

Jones - CF

Markakis - RF

Hardy - SS

Weiters - C

Reynolds - DH

Fielder - 1B

Guthrie - SP

2 upgrades at SP

2 of Matuz / Britton / Arietta / Tillman

I know I'm over simplifying it and haven't listed bullpen yet, but this isn't enough talent to compete? I think with what we have we shouldn't have to "start over and rebuild". I guess as I type, I realize it all comes down to Angelos and because of this I'm afraid that we will always be in this position until he is gone.

Sorry. We don't. That's pretty typical with teams that lose close to 100 games.

Simply put. It is impossible to build a strong farm system without trading away talent from your current ML roster. Acquiring Prince Fielder cost a draft pick. Not trading Adam Jones could cost us 2 future starters. Not trading JJ Hardy might cost us our future 1B. If you're simply relying on what you're going to get in the draft, and you have zero supplemental picks, and limited presence internationally, your farm system will remain week indefinitely.

The Pitching wasn nearly as bad early in the season. The Orioles were losing games because of runn production early on. Orioles need to upgrade the SP as well.

I don't know. I think they could stand to improve the offense, defense, starting pitching, and relief pitching. And of those four things, offense is probably the lowest priority, or was closest to league average in 2011. That being said, improving the defense without hurting the overall offense might require upgrading the hitting at a position or two.

Exactly. I think that's why he keeps talking about international talent acquisition. If you don't have lots of high draft picks, then you have to go international to stock the system.

I think we are looking at largely the same approach as before as well-- an attempt at low risk/high reward type free agents (I could see Bedard coming back for example), restock the farm while trying to build a winner in the Majors. But what team is not trying to do that?

What's important is that I do not see a complete rebuild on the horizon. How could DD do that with Buck as the manager? Buck doesn't want to manage through that. It's not surprising and I think this was largely the reason LaCava turned down the job.

I don't see any way DD trades Jones this year (unless he gets ML-ready talent back).

The key for DD is to get better at spending the money he has. I do think he can make a bigger impact internationally by simply not signing guys like Vlad. 8 million goes a long way in signing guys from Latin American and in hiring scouts.

Archived