• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also got the impression that he'll be able to bring his own guys in. When asked if the next scouting director could come from within the organization, he kind of side stepped it. Also mentioned that he knew of others from outside the organization "chomping at the bit" to come in. Again, we'll see.

Ah, I think he was pretty straightforward with that answer. He will definitely consider internal solutions. I actually got the other vibe that it is possible they will hire from within.

My initial impression is that he is not as cryptic as AM was.

I am thrilled if he has the authority to do what he says he wants to do. He talked about bringing in talent, developing that talent, and getting FAs later when the team has a pipeline of talent. Says he has guys who he wants to bring in and help him evaluate the team and help with scouting and development. All of this is great.

My biggest problems came when he said the team has been spending adequately on scouting and development and that it is the return on the investment that has been the problem. While the return has been a problem so has the scouting and development, both on money spent and players drafted/brought in. In addition I am not sure he will be able to replace the problems and bring in these guys he wants to bring in. If he can, then look out, we've got a great plan for success.

WTF this guy thinks we are a small market team??!!

Oh god, the ship is already sinking :(

I think its all relative.. he's pretty much telling you not to expect a 120 million dollar budget. It doesn't matter what the actual market is like Angelo's isn't shelling out 120 million. So yeah in the context of the rest of the AL east, except Tampa.. we're small market (albeit artificially)

Edit: I'm not really understanding why you guys expected anything different in that regard.

I'm not sure why so many are disgruntled. He hasn't made any moves and has basically done a bunch of "GM-speak" up to now.

As Tony likes to say "Actions.."...you know the rest. I'll wait to see what moves are made before we hang him in effigy as another Angelos flunky.

Watching now... Um.. I don't think this guy takes the Treaian approach to team building.. He has made the reference to "small market" about 20 times.
I can't wait until Duquette rips off his mask and reveals he's Andy MacPhail in disguise.
Anybody follow Nestor on Twitter? He's clearly NOT a fan. :rofl:
Nope,need to keep the budget low.
Was Peter's arm up Dan's butt as he was talking, controlling his mouth?
he also said he like Adam Jones and didn't say a thing about Nick there is the first strike against him with Angelos. :)
"Scouting and player development" is the new "grow the arms' date=' buy the bats"[/quote']

:scratchchinhmm:

Did anyone ask about the 3-year plan?!?

Ah, I think he was pretty straightforward with that answer. He will definitely consider internal solutions. I actually got the other vibe that it is possible they will hire from within.

My initial impression is that he is not as cryptic as AM was.

He said he wasn't aware of any possible candidates from within the organization "at this time", but that will be the "first place they look". I guess it's just different interpretations, but I didn't really take that has a ringing endorsement of anyone within the org. We'll see though. Won't surprise me if you're correct.

He emphasized OBP. He emphasized pitching. He emphasized scouting and development.

Those are all things that need to be emphasized here.

MacPhail talked about them but didn't do much. We'll see if DD does. If he makes progress on those 3 things, the Orioles will get a lot better.

I am thrilled if he has the authority to do what he says he wants to do. He talked about bringing in talent, developing that talent, and getting FAs later when the team has a pipeline of talent. Says he has guys who he wants to bring in and help him evaluate the team and help with scouting and development. All of this is great.

My biggest problems came when he said the team has been spending adequately on scouting and development and that it is the return on the investment that has been the problem. While the return has been a problem so has the scouting and development, both on money spent and players drafted/brought in. In addition I am not sure he will be able to replace the problems and bring in these guys he wants to bring in. If he can, then look out, we've got a great plan for success.

I don't think even if he thought they were not spending enough in International scouting that he would throw any under the bus there it was a very PC answer.

Also if Buck as the Authority we all think he has we may still spend in FA this year and DD builds the other part. Might be a perfect match.

To everyone who is somehow pissed off now that Duquette has actually had a chance to talk - what were you expecting to hear? Did you think he was going to roll into town and suddenly we'd have a $120 million payroll? He has to work within the constraints Angelos puts on him, that is nothing new. If you seriously thought Andy MacPhail was the reason we had a small budget, this is your reality check.

Archived