I'll give him this offseason. But as I said, if we aren't committed to winning now, I'm done.

I can't invest more of my life following a loser.

Signing one guy for $200 million is not a commitment to winning. It's putting lipstick on a pig. I still doubt that Angelos allows DD to do what he wants to do, but I am glad it appears that he will try to rebuild this organization the right way and not burn money on FA's.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll give him this offseason. But as I said, if we aren't committed to winning now, I'm done.

Perhaps he is tempering expectations in case he goes for it in free agency & get turned down he want look bad. Saying your going after Fielder on to find out he had no interest in coming here...Lets hope!

Thankfully Duquette sounds like he's willing to invest more time than you are. Short term solutions will not resolve the mess we currently find ourselves.

He kind of danced around the question of whether he'd have the power to do what he wanted. That was my biggest reservation about the presser. But, I feel the relationship between him and Buck looks to be on firm ground.

Yes the funding has always been limited and has provided the same talent level as a $20MM ball club is all true but thats does not make us a small market team..

Whether or not we are a small market team is irrelevant, Peter Angelos operates under a small market team mentality. A new GM can't change that.

Dude, this is by far the best thing we could do right now. Build a pipeline of talent and a team in our position (we actually have money where Tampa and other similar teams do not) we will have long term success. Much better than winning 2-3 more games a year with Fielder.

Sorry Mike ... but the difference between Fielder and Davis at 1B is a lot more than 2-3 wins. Diminishing Fielder's value is not a way to make your argument. IMO we'd have substantially more Wins if he were here over what we got the 1st 100 games out of Lee.

He kind of danced around the question of whether he'd have the power to do what he wanted. That was my biggest reservation about the presser. But, I feel the relationship between him and Buck looks to be on firm ground.

Right. He said he had guys waiting to come in, and he made a reference to that again talking to Jim Hunter. The way he described it made it seem like it might be no sure thing.

This is my biggest worry.

Until this organization stops the bleeding in the front office and scouting/development; there will be no "win now" attitude. This town needs some people with brains first. I want the 90 million they spend to be on people with actual talent...

Sorry Mike ... but the difference between Fielder and Davis at 1B is a lot more than 2-3 wins. Diminishing Fielder's value is not a way to make your argument. IMO we'd have substantially more Wins if he were here over what we got the 1st 100 games out of Lee.

Dang, I didn't know Prince could pitch. :)

for the record
Trea, I'm only going to say this one time, so listen well. I'm not going to bother trying to debate you on the lack of real and meaningful changes any GM will be able to make under Peter Angelos. Make me this promise. When the Orioles again fail to live up to the big expectations you have for this offseason (Fielder, Cashman, big spending...) please have your inevitable breakdown, same as you had after Teixeira, on your own message board.
I've already said I'm just walking away. There won't be any fireworks.

The GM hire will say a lot of things IMO. Then the offseason will be the final litmus test.

If I see the same old, same old, I'm done. It won't be worth the emotion and effort to rant and rave.

This offseason will truly tell if Peter Angelos is serious about fielding a winning team and whether any fan should buy tickets or invest any effort to follow them in 2012.

He said what I wanted to hear. Basically they need to build scouting and player development. He clearly intends to build up the international side. He clearly thinks he can bring in some talent evaluators who are better than the guys we have now. I hope he's right about that. He told Jim Hunter he hoped to add some people before the winter meetings.

Trea is going to be very, very disappointed. No big FA splash coming.

Heavy emphasis on DEVELOPMENT, which was great to hear. Said numerous times that we've got to have people in place to help get our guys to the majors.

I thought he won the press conference, so to speak. But we've had GM's win the press conference before. Let's see what he's got in store for us.

We are not a small market.

Reread what I said.. our market size is artificially set by how much money ownership is willing to spend.. you can preach all day about how 7.6 million people makes us a "large market" but at the end of the day, if ownership is only willing to spend at most 100 million (and usually much less) you're for all intents and purposes a small (maybe medium) market team.

Archived