Would you sign Fielder to a 6/140 contract?

Sports Guy

6/140 for Prince?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. 6/140 for Prince?

• Yes, I would be happy with that deal
    • No, that's too much for him
    • On the fence...Its not awful but I don't love it either

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6/140 M is a good deal for Fielder, but I think the 23M or so is better spent the next two years on SP, upgrading the farm stystem, and international FA.

Exactly. Without context, 6/140 is a fine deal for Fielder, not a terrible risk for collapse, pretty good odds he provides decent return.

But the O's don't just need one offensive star. They need a whole organization, and a whole new philosophy, and new coaches and scouts and analysts and infrastructure. If Fielder comes without all that other stuff the contract certainly isn't worth it, because each year it'll be for 3-5 wins that are 15 wins shy of a playoff birth.

I can understand the O's electing not to pursue Fielder. I can understand the unlikely odds of Fielder signing here even if the O's did. I'm surprised that 17.5% of the board thinks 6 $140M would be a bad deal. I'd pay that and the 'O's tax' for him.
I didn't like how the poll was worded, but I'll be in the minority and say I don't want him. Oh, he may have a 2012 that makes people go, "see, I told you so." Four years tops, he breaks down faster than you can say, "Mo Vaughn." If you're willing to eat two years of a six year deal, then have at him. 275 lbs? With one foot on the scale, otherwise tack on another 50 to that number.

Boog Powell was heavy too. Very. He didnt do too badly as an Oriole.4 W.S. 4 time all star.

303 HR's as an Oriole. MVP.Nearly 12 hundred RBI's in a career. Never wouldve won the 70 WS without him.And Prince is better. Lots.Orioles need him more than people think.

Boog Powell was listed at 230. Let's say he was the 275 lbs that Fielder supposedly is; the difference is Boog is 5" taller.

I can understand the O's electing not to pursue Fielder. I can understand the unlikely odds of Fielder signing here even if the O's did. I'm surprised that 17.5% of the board thinks 6 $140M would be a bad deal. I'd pay that and the 'O's tax' for him.

It's not a bad deal for some teams, but considering the O's current situation and likely payroll, I don't think it's a good deal for the O's.

I don't see the point in signing a guy like this when the team is so unlikely to compete next year and likely the year after.

If Trea's philosophy of getting a guy like this and then adding however many more was relevant to the O's, I may reconsider, but I don't see PA approving a payroll high enough to support 3 20+ million per year contracts.

It's not a bad deal for some teams, but considering the O's current situation and likely payroll, I don't think it's a good deal for the O's.

I don't see the point in signing a guy like this when the team is so unlikely to compete next year and likely the year after.

If Trea's philosophy of getting a guy like this and then adding however many more was relevant to the O's, I may reconsider, but I don't see PA approving a payroll high enough to support 3 20+ million per year contracts.

This is the smart thing to do. But after 14 years of bad baseball, give me something to get excited about. Sign him, and let's get better. I don't know if I have another failed 5 year rebuild in me.

This is the smart thing to do. But after 14 years of bad baseball, give me something to get excited about. Sign him, and let's get better. I don't know if I have another failed 5 year rebuild in me.

Signing Prince would be exciting, but I don't think it would be a great move in terms of becoming a playoff team.

Archived