Sun: O's to unveil statues of 6 HOF'ers.

OrangeJerseys

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am certainly in the minority here, but I am opposed to this. Statues are for the dead, not the living. What if one of the honored players goes off the deep end and commits a horrible crime? I don't think that statues should be unvelied until it is clear that the individual's legacy will not later be tarnished.

Great news, and yet the Sun comments are (complaining). WTF do people want? Yes, I know, a winning team. But the uniforms and statues are independent of that. These things can make us happy without having to always go back to "yeah but the team still sucks." I don't get it, and probably never will, but the negativity of the world in general just really bothers me.

Maybe they will include a statue next to them that shows how many consecutive winless seasons we've had. :D

Gold is worth more than platinum right now!

BTW, I see no need for this and I just hope it doesn't start making the outside of the stadium look to Sanford and Son...ie very cluttered.

I wouldn't worry about that. Very likely, Janet Marie Smith is involved and it will be done right.

The same people who are *****ing about the uniforms and the statues and saying "how many wins does this give us" will be the biggest hypocrites in the world when they are posing next to the statues in their brand new Orioles caps for a picture on Opening Day!

And I will tell them that to their face as well.

Be happy for the little things people. Just because we SUCK doesn't mean we can't be happy with the uniforms and statues. :(

The same people who are *****ing about the uniforms and the statues and saying "how many wins does this give us" will be the biggest hypocrites in the world when they are posing next to the statues in their brand new Orioles caps for a picture on Opening Day!

Be happy for the little things people. Just because we SUCK doesn't mean we can't be happy with the uniforms and statues. :(

I love the new Uniforms and love the idea of the new statues. I also heard they were going to have the L in Orioles on the scoreboard flash after every home loss, but the lightbulbs were to expensive to replace. ;)

I like the 6 new statues (in concept). It's the first one that bothers me. You'll never see me in a picture posing with the Babe.

I am certainly in the minority here, but I am opposed to this. Statues are for the dead, not the living. What if one of the honored players goes off the deep end and commits a horrible crime? I don't think that statues should be unvelied until it is clear that the individual's legacy will not later be tarnished.

Joe Paterno has a statue...

It's simply inexcusable to be devoting money and time to window dressing when the team is in such disrepair. This is completely unnecessary IMO. In fact it's embarrassing for us to be flaunting our history while our organization is a national laughingstock. We'd better be willing to do what it takes this offseason to get this team back to present glory. A really lazy spin move IMO.

I like the 6 new statues (in concept). It's the first one that bothers me. You'll never see me in a picture posing with the Babe.

I don't see it this way. The Babe was born a few hundred yards from the Warehouse, grew up in Baltimore, and played with the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, where he signed his first professional contract, and he got his nickname there. That's plenty enough for me. It's not like Baltimore had a major league team during his playing days and he was competing against Baltimore. That would be a different story.

It's simply inexcusable to be devoting money and time to window dressing when the team is in such disrepair. This is completely unnecessary IMO. In fact it's embarrassing for us to be flaunting our history while our organization is a national laughingstock. We'd better be willing to do what it takes this offseason to get this team back to present glory. A really lazy spin move IMO.

The secret to a first-rate Trea parody is all in the IMOs. Well met.

They should donate that statue to his museum then. I hate a NY Yankee being elevated on a statue outside of Oriole Park. Do the SF Giants have a statue of Joe Dimaggio outside of their stadium? Do the NY Knicks have a statue of Michael Jordan outside of their stadium? Maybe the Red Wings should erect a statue of Wayne Gretzky.

I don't get it. Not at our stadium.

Jordan and Gretzky weren't born in New York and Detroit, respectively.

San Francicso has a seal.

Target Field has a statue of Carl Pohlad (which is even worse than an Angelos statue).

Angel Stadium has a statue of Rod Carew's daughter (died from cancer at 17).

Pittsburgh has a whole group of Negro League statues.

I don't see it this way. The Babe was born a few hundred yards from the Warehouse, grew up in Baltimore, and played with the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, where he signed his first professional contract, and he got his nickname there. That's plenty enough for me. It's not like Baltimore had a major league team during his playing days and he was competing against Baltimore. That would be a different story.

And, oh by the way, his father's bar (where he grew up) was in center field.

Archived