Duquette not a big Markakis fan?

Going Underground

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This write up is McNeal is poor journalism that is just intended to stir things up. He must have read a quote by Duquette that was reported by Connolly that said, ?I like the composition of this ballclub up the middle, at catcher, shortstop and center field. Those guys are at an age where there is potential to improve, and they are exciting ballplayers for our fans to see.?

Let us be logical. Because Duquette praises three players in a reference, does that mean that he doesn't like other players on the team because he did not mention them.

The rest of McNeal's article is very choppy like he picked out only the pieces of the conversation that he wanted to report. I am sure that Duquette would like more power from Markakis just like most of us would, but that does not mean that Duquette is not a Markakis fan. I would like to hear the entire interview with Duquette to see how much of it was misquoted. Anyone know where McNeal is getting this interview from?

There is a thread with the entire audio interview linked. The writer of the article most certainly did NOT misquote Double D.

I am really starting to like Double D. First he calls out Nick, now he's pretty much saying "Hey core...YOU SUCK, and until you start playing better no "premium" talent is gonna come in here and help!" Also calling out MacPhail, the scouting, and the entire organization for not developing better talent in the past decade. This guy is calling it like he sees it, for better or worse.

This organization needed to be shaken up and it appears Duquette has every intention of doing so.

I appreciate the candor and intent of DD's comments regarding Nick.

It has not been worth getting into it with the OH with regards to Markakis, but DD's comments are not far from where many people here were pushed off ledges in the past. When Nick is on, he is a very effective player, but he does not produce at that level enough during a season, IMO.

I should not be surprised to see comments in this thread about Nick "still" being a better player than AJ, but I am glad that our new GM appears to have these guys aligned in the proper order.

Could this be our first International signing.:o

Most of the players were between low college and single A level. We joked that a player’s talent was in inverse proportion to how Jewish he was. They had a little more leeway with Jews making the cut because this was a product catering to a majority Jewish audience in a Jewish country. But the IBL included many non-Jewish players from around the world, mainly the Dominican Republic. People in Baltimore might like to know that current Orioles DH Vladimir Guerrero’s younger brother, Juan, played in the league.

http://jewishworldnews.org/2011/07/27/memories-of-the-israel-baseball-league/

Wow! I just love this. Markakis cannot be a sacred cow. Look at how he compares to RF in the division last year:

Kakes: .284/.351/.406/.756

Swisher: .260/.374/.449/.822

Reddick: .280/.327/.457/.784

Joyce: .277/.347/.478/.825

Bautista: .302/.447/.608/1.056

It is not hard to make a case that Nick was EASILY the worst RF in the division last year. And it isn't particularly close. RF is an offensive position.

Guest rochester
Ok gotcha...Obviously, I agree 100% with all of this.

And I also am not saying Nick shouldn't be dealt...I actually believe he has more value than many on here think, especially with the GG award in his trophy case now.

However, I also think that trading him now would be trading him at a low point in his value and I am not trading him just to dump his salary or just to get a similar player as to him but one who pitches.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Nick needs some real dedication in the offseason. Training with Brady is what I have been hoping for as well. That makes the most sense to me.

My problem is this is that you are assuming he will turn it around and be the ballplayer from 2-3 years ago. Unfortunately, with the new GG (finally IMO) his value may be as high as it will get right now.

And for others that complain about other places we need to fix.. you are right but you have to give to receive. Maybe Nick is in a package that brings back some real help where we need it instead of some old guy which comes to Baltimore as a last resort.

I don't see anything wrong with what he said... sometimes you just can't *****foot around and a decade and a half of being a laughingstock may be it.

I appreciate the candor and intent of DD's comments regarding Nick.

It has not been worth getting into it with the OH with regards to Markakis, but DD's comments are not far from where many people here were pushed off ledges in the past. When Nick is on, he is a very effective player, but he does not produce at that level enough during a season, IMO.

I should not be surprised to see comments in this thread about Nick "still" being a better player than AJ, but I am glad that our new GM appears to have these guys aligned in the proper order.

AJ had a better year in 2010...but he is not the better player.

AJ had a better year in 2010...but he is not the better player.

Every year is different. I think the onus is on Nick to pick up his game and get back to the level he was at previously. If he's the better player, he needs to prove it.

Archived