PER AMBER: Orioles SHOULD go for major FA talent...

BilboBaggins

Seriously. I can't understand how anyone can possibly believe this. It's completely illogical to think that the money is there and our GMs haven't wanted to spend it.

We continue to delude ourselves into being O's fans for a variety of reasons, with varying degrees of illogic. Trea's is just one of the more implausible.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You consider Miguel Tejada a MOO bat like Puljols, Ryan Howard, Fielder, Beltre, Hamilton, Manny (2002-2007) Ramirez, Thome or ARod?

Bell? Seriously?

Toward the end of Tejada's first run in Baltimore, no one was pitching around him because he constantly hit into double-plays.

Yes, Albert Belle. He had terrific numbers here before he had a career ending injury. I wish people would look up the stats before they crap on that signing like they do.

And Miggy put up an MVP-like year his first year with us, and was terrific his entire first run.

Amber is great when she's telling me what player X's injury was during the game. Amber is not great when she's talking about building a baseball team. She should stick to what she does well, tell me what Buck had for dinner the night before a game, and how serious an injury is to a player.

Agree or disagree with her story all you want, but this post is just uncalled for. Amber is actually very good at sports journalism. You should read her stuff more often rather than piggybacking on this one story and trying to look cool. I wonder if you would make this same comment about Roch?

Yes, Albert Belle. He had terrific numbers here before he had a career ending injury. I wish people would look up the stats before they crap on that signing like they do.

And Miggy put up an MVP-like year his first year with us, and was terrific his entire first run.

Good points Dip....But Albert Belle was signed when Angelos was still signing top tier free agents. Tejada was obviously on Roids the first time, but more to the point Tejada wound up in Baltimore on a game of musical chairs. The Market was thin for him and the 6/72 that he got was by all accounts a bargain.

The different is that Big Papi got 550 ab and the manager confidence,what did Fox get.I went to spring training last year and there was three players who were inpressive,Fox,Hardy,and Ryan Adams.

No Offense ...But Fox couldnt carry Ortiz's bat. That being said Signing Ortiz at this point would be silly. Signing him for more than one year would be a huge misatke.

Over the hill Vets ...Will the Angelos ever learn?

More evidence Duquette isn't going to spend money:

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/11/more-from-luke-scott.html

During a recent interview on Boston radio station WEEI, executive vice president Dan Duquette was asked whether he could use "a 36-year-old left handed DH," an obvious reference to free agent David Ortiz. You decide whether he sounds prepared to make an offer.

"I could use a lot of things on my ballclub. It's just a question of affordability and value now. I don't know, that seems to be a luxury item right now given all the other work we need to do in other areas of the team," Duquette said.

"We did have Vlad Guerrero last year. I'd much rather sign those Dominicans to contracts when they're coming out of the amateur market rather than pay them a lot of money in the big leagues. We have to sign a few more of those before we look to a high-priced DH, I think."

Affordability & value.

Not ruling out Fielder, though. :rolleyes:

Good points Dip....But Albert Belle was signed when Angelos was still signing top tier free agents. Tejada was obviously on Roids the first time, but more to the point Tejada wound up in Baltimore on a game of musical chairs. The Market was thin for him and the 6/72 that he got was by all accounts a bargain.

Trust me Man...I am not defending Angelos. I am just saying the TWO guys that were specifically called out were, in fact, MOO hitters.

Trust me Man...I am not defending Angelos. I am just saying the TWO guys that were specifically called out were, in fact, MOO hitters.

Fair enough and I agree .... I just dont think Angelos has put a solid foot forward in free agency since Belle. His total change in philosophy is just mid boggling when you look back. And again I believe he got away with a low ball contract for Tejada the 1st time and it only made matters worse.

Orioles fan have seen enough over the hill players in the last fourteen years,no more free agents over the age of 30.
Almost no FA's are under that age. Is a guy automatically over the hill at 30, 33, or 36, or is a matter of a decline in his production?

Archived