Roch: Duquette confirms no Fielder, Reynolds to 1B?

ChaosLex

I like how Trea thinks DD won't trade Jones because he has all but said that but that the "Fielder dream" isn't over despite DD all but saying that.

Why are these situations different Trea? Why do you believe one but not the other?

Reality is in the eye of the beholder.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reality is in the eye of the beholder.

Because he wants the Orioles to put a winning product on the field and not hear about rebuilding efforts. I have heard Cashman say that he had no interest in a given player only to sign them as the offseason advances. What people say, what they want and how they act are things that are fluid. What I hear is that the Orioles are not interested in Fielder at his current asking price, but if that price lowered than maybe we could jump into the mix.

I like how Trea thinks DD won't trade Jones because he has all but said that but that the "Fielder dream" isn't over despite DD all but saying that.

Why are these situations different Trea? Why do you believe one but not the other?

Trea only believes what he wants to believe, despite any evidence to the contrary.

I don't see how anyone could interpret DD's statements any differently. The Fielder dream (if there ever was one) is over. Looks like Trea is firing up the Votto bandwagon which doesn't make sense either due to the Reds being in a situation where they could be a playoff contender. I doubt they're looking to trade Votto...they won 91 games in 2010 and made the playoffs. They slipped a little last year but the NL Central is weak.

But go ahead, Trea. Let's trade Machado, The Bundy Brothers and Schoop for Votto. Maybe we should throw in Hobgood to sweeten the deal.

It's pretty simple. Duquette has mentioned he wants to build around Jones.

He has not said he won't go after Prince Fielder, just that premium FAs are not his first preference.

Given the fact that 1B is a hole with Mark Reynolds there and the trade market looks non-existant at the moment, one woul think he would turn to Fielder because the other options were not as good as what he could get.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Reynolds traded at some point this offseason...

It's pretty simple. Duquette has mentioned he wants to build around Jones.

He has not said he won't go after Prince Fielder, just that premium FAs are not his first preference.

Given the fact that 1B is a hole with Mark Reynolds there and the trade market looks non-existant at the moment, one woul think he would turn to Fielder because the other options were not as good as what he could get.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Reynolds traded at some point this offseason...

Dude. Prince Fielder is a premium, FA. I know we can agree on that.

How many times in your life has the most expensive option been your least preferable choice? And how many times have you gone back to that choice and paid the price?

If premium FA aren't his first choice, what on earth would you make you think they'd all of a sudden vault to the #1 spot? What would make DD get out of bed one morning and all of a sudden gladly hand out an 8/160 deal to Fielder?

Dude. Prince Fielder is a premium, FA. I know we can agree on that.

How many times in your life has the most expensive option been your least preferable choice? And how many times have you gone back to that choice and paid the price?

If premium FA aren't his first choice, what on earth would you make you think they'd all of a sudden vault to the #1 spot? What would make DD get out of bed one morning and all of a sudden gladly hand out an 8/160 deal to Fielder?

And even IF that happened, Fielder would not accept that to play here. These "fantasies" are getting absurd.

Maybe. Maybe not. He's a poor third baseman. But for him to be as valuable, overall, at first as he is at third he needs to make up 15 runs. I can believe he's a better first baseman than third baseman. But I don't think he's 15 runs better.

Indeed, this makes sense - except when I look at our other options for first, I don't see any of them making up those 15 runs either. :) So... for now, I see him as our best, last option at first. There's just something about the hot corner and the Orioles, too. Having had Brooks and Cal out there for so many combined years... I dunno. I'd rather have a defense-first third baseman than a guy like Reynolds, as much as he grew on me over the second half.

Until he signs elsewhere, it's not...

Fielder fits this club and is a logical signing. It makes too much sense for the Orioles, so IMO they will pursue him.

Now obviously if the price goes through the roof, you look at alternatives. But you still don't settle on Mark Reynolds. He's no solution and should be Plan G at best.

The price is already too high - whatever it is, it's too high.

Archived