Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

It's a reliever. One of the most fungible properties in baseball. And didnt we just draft another 50 of them...

Point is, we got a young, defensively talented catcher with offensive upside...probably one of the least fungable assets in baseball.

It's a win for me.

I don't really see the offensive upside. He's 27, strikes out nearly 40% of the time, walks in 7% of PAs, and has hit .220. Between AA and AAA he's hit .245 with a 3:1 K:BB ratio.

Maybe Henry is just a reliever, but unless Teagarden is an otherworldly defender his offensive profile is nothing.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel like there's a lot of this going on:

"Hmm, we gave up Randy Henry. Um..."

(looks up who Randy Henry is)

"NO! NOT RANDY HENRY! HOW COULD THEY??"

Not that nobody knew who Henry was before, but I feel like there's an awful lot of hand-wringing about a guy who (as Slappy mentioned) wasn't even in Tony's top 20 prospects for a team with a weak farm system. I'm fine with giving up a guy like that for a player who could provide some value for the Orioles over the next three years. Granted, a backup catcher's value is inherently limited, but since we have to have one, Teagarden's a good one to have.

Amen, brother.

Teagarden was a 2-time BA top 100 prospect, and has a career .863 OPS in the minors, and he is a plus defender. He's not that old, and he has 4 years of service time left. He's been worth 1.5 WAR in his career so far in 118 games. He's a great choice for back-up C, IMO. He has not hit very well in the majors, but he has some pop and I think significant upside offensively.

Randy Henry has some promise, but at best he'll be a solid set-up guy. I don't mind losing him for Teagarten.

I will be interested to see who is the PTBNL.

I'm fine with this trade. Teagarden is 28, noted as very good defensively and is under control for 4 more years. He was also a top 100 prospect pre '08 and '09 so possibly still a little upside there. I'll do that for a low minors BP arm with some injury history.

I feel like there's a lot of this going on:

"Hmm, we gave up Randy Henry. Um..."

(looks up who Randy Henry is)

"NO! NOT RANDY HENRY! HOW COULD THEY??"

Not that nobody knew who Henry was before, but I feel like there's an awful lot of hand-wringing about a guy who (as Slappy mentioned) wasn't even in Tony's top 20 prospects for a team with a weak farm system. I'm fine with giving up a guy like that for a player who could provide some value for the Orioles over the next three years. Granted, a backup catcher's value is inherently limited, but since we have to have one, Teagarden's a good one to have.

I haven't been wringing my hands. But players like Teagarden change hands all the time for a PTBNL or a waiver claim. I don't see a reason to give up a prospect of any caliber.

Amen, brother.

Teagarden was a 2-time BA top 100 prospect, and has a career .863 OPS in the minors, and he is a plus defender. He's not that old, and he has 4 years of service time left. He's been worth 1.5 WAR in his career so far in 118 games. He's a great choice for back-up C, IMO. He has not hit very well in the majors, but he has some pop and I think significant upside offensively.

Randy Henry has some promise, but at best he'll be a solid set-up guy. I don't mind losing him for Teagarten.

I will be interested to see who is the PTBNL.

Damn it. Got me by a minute.

This trade is interesting for a couple of reasons. I don't think it gets made in 2010 because A) this trade is not a clear "win" for Baltimore, and thus I think MacPhail would have avoided it, and B) Randy Henry would likely not have been included either way, as he was a Joe Jordan pet pick and I think he would have lobbied for him to stay in the organization.

I don't really see the offensive upside. He's 27, strikes out nearly 40% of the time, walks in 7% of PAs, and has hit .220. Between AA and AAA he's hit .245 with a 3:1 K:BB ratio.

Maybe Henry is just a reliever, but unless Teagarden is an otherworldly defender his offensive profile is nothing.

We're talking about a guy who has a career .220 average in the majors...with a .314 BABIP! That is really incredible.

Hmm. That is interesting. I had two people whom I trust tell me they thought it was Miclat. Those things can change in a hurry, though.

Well, what is a "low level minor leaguer" is subject to interpretation. If it was at a really low level, they wouldn't be waiting until after the Rule 5 draft to do this. It easily could be Miclat. I hope it isn't.

Would you take it over Kelly Shoppach and Henry?

Depends on how much of a paycut he'd take to be a backup in Baltimore. The orioles will most likely have three years of Teagarden for a fraction of the cost for one year of shoppach. If he's willing to take a two thirds reduction to be wieters' backup, maybe. But he's more likely to land on a team where he can 1) play, 2) win, 3) get paid more.

I haven't been wringing my hands. But players like Teagarden change hands all the time for a PTBNL or a waiver claim. I don't see a reason to give up a prospect of any caliber.

I'm seeing the word prospect being thrown around a lot. In a weak/thin system, Randy Henry was a player not included in BP's top 20 prospect list and came in at 22 on the OH list. It seems to me that a couple of guys like that are exactly the expected return for a young, cheap backup C.

This is a really nice trade. Yeah the O's traded a young pitching prospect, oh well, have to give up something to get something. Plus, I'm curious to see how Gary Rajsich develops the arms. Also I see this move, since being made now, as a move the team gets done and out of the way heading into the Winter Meetings, so they can work on other major needs.

Archived