Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

Well least its out of the way and DD and Buck can focus on other stuff. Whats the big deal? And how does this not make sense? Please spare me the "we gave up a young arm." Who cares about Randy Henry? Lets see what this FO does before we start lambasting them.

Who cares that it is out of the way?

Should we go out and offer 5/90 to Edwin Jackson because we need a starter and that will "get it out of the way"?

What kind of reasoning is that to do something?

And what difference does it make what else the FO does? How is this one move going to impact ANYTHING this team does this offseason?

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I like Teagarden better than you. I think he will prove to be above average for a back-up C, and able to step in and do a decent job on a more full-time basis if Wieters gets injured at any point. I think his defense will be at a levell where Buck will be able to give Wieters 5-10 fewer games behind the plate and either rest him or put him at DH.

This is exactly my thinking. I'm down for almost any deal (within context of course) that allows us to rest Wieters. If that happens, then this is a win deal for us IMO.

Thoroughly underimpressed with Teagarden and his .220 Average ... I guess we didnt give up much to get him. But seriously couldnt we have gotten Shoppach or someone without giving up anything? I dont know why anyone here would celebrate this move...Another poor hitter tha Buck will under use because hisbat is a 0.

Reynolds hit .221, is his bat a 0?

TT has 16 HR's and 49RBI's in less then 400 AB's. I'm not calling him Johnny Bench, but he's a solid young guy with upside more then adequate to back up Matt.

Thoroughly underimpressed with Teagarden and his .220 Average ... I guess we didnt give up much to get him. But seriously couldnt we have gotten Shoppach or someone without giving up anything? I dont know why anyone here would celebrate this move...Another poor hitter tha Buck will under use because hisbat is a 0.

Are we talking about the same shoppach who hasn't hit .220 since '08? Is there a shoppach catching family similar to the molina's that I'm not aware of?

Well, what is a "low level minor leaguer" is subject to interpretation. If it was at a really low level, they wouldn't be waiting until after the Rule 5 draft to do this. It easily could be Miclat. I hope it isn't.

If it is I personally think we gave uptoo much... Perhaps the Rangers are interested in a rule 5 guy they cant get because of their low selection spot.

Who cares that it is out of the way?

Should we go out and offer 5/90 to Edwin Jackson because we need a starter and that will "get it out of the way"?

What kind of reasoning is that to do something?

And what difference does it make what else the FO does? How is this one move going to impact ANYTHING this team does this offseason?

First, I don't see the problem in making the move now for a guy like Teagarden.

And Second, I feel making the move now allows the FO room to work on other things wo worrying about a backup catcher. And focus on signing TOR pitching and bullpen arms.

I just dont see whats wrong with this move.

Who cares if its "out of the way." Backup catcher could be addressed up to the day before Spring Training.

I don't mind the acquisition but this is a nothing move. It has no barring on anything else. Shame we had to give up a young arm who might have some upside but it is what it is.

Do you think if we didn't get TT, that there would be 1 catcher on the ML team this year?

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying if Buck actually has confidence in this guy to play then Wieters will get some rest. You don't think Buck felt pressured into starting Wieters on a nightly baseless due to Tatum's ineffectiveness?

And Second, I feel making the move now allows the FO room to work on other things wo worrying about a backup catcher. And focus on signing TOR pitching and bullpen arms.

I know you are trying to be positive, but if a backup catcher is something that the FO is fretting over we are in trouble. "No no, I'd love to look at the rotation but we've got that gaping hole behind Weiters."

Because its a crappy move ...the guy cant hit the broadside or the barn...A typical Peter Angelos type player.

Archived