Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

Angelos has no idea who this guy is.

I actually like the idea of getting TT because at least he has some upside.

Its trading Henry for him that bothers me.

I guess I'm not seeing the upside the guy has batted .217, .155, and .235 in the last three years. He's likley to get around 100 ABs which will be about what he got over the past 2 season. For Me he is1year younger than Tatum but little difference otherwise.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if we get something better in return in a trade for Guthrie?

Or Rajsich finds a diamond somewhere?

I don't think the O's would trade Henry without knowing that they were confident in filling the hole.

Not to mention the size of the hole created is equivilant to the size of Earth compared to the galaxy.

I have. They aren't impressive, but shoppach's aren't 4-6 times better than TTs, which would be the cost to bring him in.

But if you want to spend $1.5-$2.5mm to bring him in for 1 year as opposed to the < $2mm that you'd spend for three years of a back up catcher with similar performance, be my guest.

Yes, I would rather spend 1.5-2M on a back up C and keep Henry.

As I said, perhaps Henry is in your pen soon and instead of pissing away millions on a reliever, you have him.

Or maybe he continues to pitch very well in the upper minors and can be used to get a better player in a trade.

Either way, there hasn't been one even remotely convincing argument that this is a trade the Orioles had to make.

The Orioles have struggled to figure out how to build bullpens...Guys who throw strikes, keep the ball, get K's and don't give up homers and make no money are guys you want to target for the pen.

I don't think the O's would trade Henry without knowing that they were confident in filling the hole.

And none of this will have anything to do with this trade.

There is no hole. You don't call trading a middle reliever in high A a hole. He's one of a fairly long list of guys (even in the O's system) who have a 15% chance at a real major league career.

Teagarden is a C+ backup catcher, and Henry is a C+ prospect. If you need more of either you shake the nearest baseball tree until one falls out.

Because its a crappy move ...the guy cant hit the broadside or the barn...A typical Peter Angelos type player.

Let's see, the guy has a .703 career OPS, with 16 HR and 49 RBI in 118 games (392 PA). Meanwhile the average major league team had a .700 OPS with 17 HR and 69 RBI in 638 PA at C. Looks to me like this guy is an average hitting catcher when you consider all catchers (both starters and backups), which makes him above average hitting for a backup. And, he's a very good defender. Basically, he's Jake Fox with a plus glove.

So what? I would have liked to get a lot of guys 2 years ago.

What difference does that make?

And btw, 2 years ago, we still had Wieters and I wouldn't have given up value for a catching prospect unless he was going to be flipped to a 3rd team...so your statement is both poor and inaccurate.

You don't see the irony in this? TT is a former BA top 100 prospect, the type of guy you constantly salivate over... until they get to the big show and fall short, then you begin to lose interest. Okay, he's a catcher, and we didn't need a catcher two years ago, but that doesn't make the entire point invalid. that point...YOU'RE OBSESSED WITH PROSPECTS.

What are we really losing in Henry? A potential 2014 bullpen arm? What's he going to give us that we can't easily get elsewhere or already have?

This just comes off as complaining for the sake of complaining. Just because we didn't swindle TT away from Texas for nothing doesn't mean this is a horrible trade.

There is no hole. You don't call trading a middle reliever in high A a hole. He's one of a fairly long list of guys (even in the O's system) who have a 15% chance at a real major league career.

Teagarden is a C+ backup catcher, and Henry is a C+ prospect. If you need more of either you shake the nearest baseball tree until one falls out.

Why trade anything ...Even a 15% chance is better than the difference between this guy and Tatum

Let's see, the guy has a .703 career OPS, with 16 HR and 49 RBI in 118 games (392 PA). Meanwhile the average major league team had a .700 OPS with 17 HR and 69 RBI in 638 PA at C. Looks to me like this guy is an average hitting catcher when you consider all catchers (both starters and backups), which makes him above average hitting for a backup. And, he's a very good defender. Basically, he's Jake Fox with a plus glove.

Plus he's under control for 4 years and should be realtively cheap compared to whatever plug and play FA backup you desire.

Nah. He's not. And I think you know this. Most of his statistical helium comes from 53 ABs (6 HRs, 1.000+ OPS) in 2008. He's well-sub-.650 since.

Who did we trade for Antonelli again?

I can't remember. And, in a month, I won't remember who Randy Henry is. And, I doubt he'll ever be heard from again. And, I'm fairly certain we have two dozen pitchers in our system who have every bit as much of a chance to hit the ceiling of ...uhhh...what was his name...anyway.

The beatchin' over this trade amuses me no end.

Archived