Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm seeing the word prospect being thrown around a lot. In a weak/thin system, Randy Henry was a player not included in BP's top 20 prospect list and came in at 22 on the OH list. It seems to me that a couple of guys like that are exactly the expected return for a young, cheap backup C.

I think I've stressed the idea of "even a fringe prospect like Henry" in my posts. The point is not that the price is low, it's that it's higher than it usually is/should be. Buying a ballpoint pen for $3 is not a lot of money, and it will have basically zero impact on my finances/life. But it's still too much.

Just because I felt there was better talent out there doesn't mean I think we should now deal him for a crappy hitting, back up C...a commodity you can always acquire.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Plus, he has produced well.

Update: The trade talks included Double-A Bowie second baseman Greg Miclat and Single-A right-hander Parker Bridwell. The Orioles are hesitant to part with Bridwell, a ninth-round pick in 2009.

Left-hander Jarret Martin, an 18th-round pick in 2009, also was discussed.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/12/orioles-close-to-acquiring-teagarden.html

One of these is really not like the others (discussed anywhere else).

Because its a crappy move ...the guy cant hit the broadside or the barn...A typical Peter Angelos type player.

Angelos has no idea who this guy is.

I actually like the idea of getting TT because at least he has some upside.

Its trading Henry for him that bothers me.

Except WE DIDN'T BUY LOW!

Again, we gave up the 22nd ranked prospect in the BALTIMORE ORIOLES organization. That's pretty low cost by anyone's standards. If he does make it to the show, it will more than likely be as a middle releif arm, which is still an easier commodity to find than an excellent defensive backup catcher. So you like his peripherals....so what. We will never get better if we don't make moves like this.

That is why I like the move. We have upside with TT. It's better than the cardboard boxes we've been using at backup for the past few seasons.

I understand you are upset that we traded Henry for him. I'd hate to see the reaction had we traded our 21st ranked prospect for him.

Again, we gave up the 22nd ranked prospect in the BALTIMORE ORIOLES organization. That's pretty low cost by anyone's standards. If he does make it to the show, it will more than likely be as a middle releif arm, which is still an easier commodity to find than an excellent defensive backup catcher. So you like his peripherals....so what. We will never get better if we don't make moves like this.

Again, nobody is saying this. Just that you usually would see a PTBNL for this sort of deal.

CHEAP !!! as in penny pinching ....I dont really see how this guy is any better than Tatum.

Ah, gotcha.

Have you looked at TT's offensive stats?

I have. They aren't impressive, but shoppach's aren't 4-6 times better than TTs, which would be the cost to bring him in.

But if you want to spend $1.5-$2.5mm to bring him in for 1 year as opposed to the < $2mm that you'd spend for three years of a back up catcher with similar performance, be my guest.

Really? We need to add 600 OPS, good fielding catchers that play 30 games for us to get better? Really?

How many more wins does TT get us over generic back up C x?

What if we get something better in return in a trade for Guthrie?

Or Rajsich finds a diamond somewhere?

I don't think the O's would trade Henry without knowing that they were confident in filling the hole.

I guess I like Teagarden better than you. I think he will prove to be above average for a back-up C, and able to step in and do a decent job on a more full-time basis if Wieters gets injured at any point. I think his defense will be at a levell where Buck will be able to give Wieters 5-10 fewer games behind the plate and either rest him or put him at DH.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a terrible deal, or something of huge consequence. But isn't Teagarden pretty much the textbook definition of a backup catcher? He seems to have a plus catching tool, and maybe a 50/80 power tool. And nothing anywhere else. He's a .220 hitter with abysmal plate discipline and the speed to make a footrace with Sal Fasano exciting.

I don't see how he gives you any flexibility or capability they didn't have with Tatum or Moeller, and isn't in the same category as The Practically Perfect Backup Catcher Gregg Zaun.

Archived