Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

There is no hole. You don't call trading a middle reliever in high A a hole. He's one of a fairly long list of guys (even in the O's system) who have a 15% chance at a real major league career.

Teagarden is a C+ backup catcher, and Henry is a C+ prospect. If you need more of either you shake the nearest baseball tree until one falls out.

Exactly...and probably why the trade came to fruition. Rangers have TT, can't use him but want to get something of value for him. Orioles need a not abysmal backup catcher and have some comparable fungible bits of not abysmal talent. Voila!

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly...and probably why the trade came to fruition. Rangers have TT, can't use him but want to get something of value for him. Orioles need a not abysmal backup catcher and have some comparable fungible bits of not abysmal talent. Voila!

The only thing to be distraught, upset or even mildly tweaked about is that apparently Bridwell made it into the discussions and fisticuffs did not commence.

Really? We need to add 600 OPS, good fielding catchers that play 30 games for us to get better? Really?

How many more wins does TT get us over generic back up C x?

Odds are he will get us more wins than Henry will ever.

And don't discount the value of a backup catcher....he'll play a minimum of 20% of the games or so, and it's more likely your starting catcher gets hurt and misses time than any of your position players.

Why trade anything ...Even a 15% chance is better than the difference between this guy and Tatum

False. Teagarden is likely to be much better than Tatum. He's been worth 1.5 WAR in about 2/3 of a season's worth of playing time. Tatum's been worth -0.7 WAR in about a half-season's worth of playing time. Teagarden's better both offensively and defensively.

As a back-up C, he'll put in roughly 300-350 innings behind the plate, and bat 125-150 times. Meanwhile, a reliever is going to throw maybe 50-70 innings. I'd probably rather have an above-average reliever than an above average backup C, but I'd rather have a guy who is already in the majors and will be an above average back-up C, than a guy who might make the majors someday and if he's lucky will be above average some day.

i see your point. But was it important to sign him at the time that we did? Or could the O's have waited?

I'm all for moving fast. And I'm happy with Teagarden as a backup catcher. But just like Pujols at 50M a year is worthless and Kevin Gregg at league minimum is valuable, cost always matters. And I don't like the cost.

I can't remember. And, in a month, I won't remember who Randy Henry is. And, I doubt he'll ever be heard from again. And, I'm fairly certain we have two dozen pitchers in our system who have every bit as much of a chance to hit the ceiling of ...uhhh...what was his name...anyway.

The beatchin' over this trade amuses me no end.

Do you know why you can't remember? And what makes that acquisition different than Teagarden? :P

Why trade anything ...Even a 15% chance is better than the difference between this guy and Tatum

When you're this far down in the noise I think you have to assume that any significant surplus value either player brings their organizations is as much luck as identifying talent. In the grand scheme of things losing Henry and getting nothing in return probably sliced 3/8ths of a weighted future win from the organization.

I'm all for moving fast. And I'm happy with Teagarden as a backup catcher. But just like Pujols at 50M a year is worthless and Kevin Gregg at league minimum is valuable, cost always matters. And I don't like the cost.

What is the value of Henry? I'd have to say an average reliever who gets hurt every year and pitches to his peripherals at A ball probably is worth a fraction of one win. One out of six or eight of those guys end up with Nate Snell's career. The others go back for their associate's degree, or hang drywall or sell cars.

False. Teagarden is likely to be much better than Tatum. He's been worth 1.5 WAR in about 2/3 of a season's worth of playing time. Tatum's been worth -0.7 WAR in about a half-season's worth of playing time. Teagarden's better both offensively and defensively.

As a back-up C, he'll put in roughly 300-350 innings behind the plate, and bat 125-150 times. Meanwhile, a reliever is going to throw maybe 50-70 innings. I'd probably rather have an above-average reliever than an above average backup C, but I'd rather have a guy who is already in the majors and will be an above average back-up C, than a guy who might make the majors someday and if he's lucky will be above average some day.

I'm not overly surprised Henry was the guy Texas acquired as I won't be surprised if Jarret Martin is the low minor league PTBL. ;)

I'm also not sure why the hand wringing over this. Henry does have some upside, and know several scouts liked him, this his ranking, but let's remember, this guy has had a hard time staying healthy and when I saw him, I didn't see a ton of life on the fastball. Grant it he may have been tired when I saw him in Frederick, but he didn't wow me with his stuff.

He's a C level prospect that has potential, but he has a lot of hurdles to overcome including a long injury history. I can see why Texas would take him though since he does have some upside if he can stay healthy, but at some point you have to give up something to get something. Henry's upside is probably Jason Berken.

Teagarden is a decent back up catcher option. He's good defensively, has a little pop, and is head and shoulders above what Tatum gave us the last two years. Teagarden might allow Buck to rest Wieters a little more often or allow Wieters to DH some in order to keep him fresh.

I would rather have the $1m ish saved by trading our #22 prospect+ for Henry than Henry himself.

This org needs to not spend on middle relievers and backups. If you can save a few million/year and only give up low level/low probability prospects for that, you do it.

This is how you save resources to spend on Int'l free agents, the draft, or actually important free agents. It adds up.

I say...good deal.

I'm not overly surprised Henry was the guy Texas acquired as I won't be surprised if Jarret Martin is the low minor league PTBL. ;)

I'm also not sure why the hand wringing over this. Henry does have some upside, and know several scouts liked him, this his ranking, but let's remember, this guy has had a hard time staying healthy and when I saw him, I didn't see a ton of life on the fastball. Grant it he may have been tired when I saw him in Frederick, but he didn't wow me with his stuff.

He's a C level prospect that has potential, but he has a lot of hurdles to overcome including a long injury history. I can see why Texas would take him though since he does have some upside if he can stay healthy, but at some point you have to give up something to get something. Henry's upside is probably Jason Berken.

Teagarden is a decent back up catcher option. He's good defensively, has a little pop, and is head and shoulders above what Tatum gave us the last two years. Teagarden might allow Buck to rest Wieters a little more often or allow Wieters to DH some in order to keep him fresh.

Hand wringing is what this place does best. I can't believe a Taylor Teagarden- Randy Henry trade is gonna reach 20 pages, potentially in one day.

Archived