O's talking to Rick Peterson abot MiL pitching coordinator position (update: Peterson hired)

Frobby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect this to happen soon.....maybe today. In DD'S first interview with the MLB Network Sunday night he said we have not done a very good job developing pitchers and that has to change or words similar. We have to make changes to our minor league system. Get it done. If Adair fails Peterson would be the #1 choice to replace him. I don't think Adair will fail the first year because the staff is about to be changed with new starters and help added in the pen.

I would expect this to happen soon.....maybe today. In DD'S first interview with the MLB Network Sunday night he said we have not done a very good job developing pitchers and that has to change or words similar. We have to make changes to our minor league system. Get it done. If Adair fails Peterson would be the #1 choice to replace him. I don't think Adair will fail the first year because the staff is about to be changed with new starters and help added in the pen.

I hope we get Demarlo Hale too

For some reason, in 2011 Schmidt was reassigned to be the coordinator of the Orioles' operations in Sarasota. Alan Dunn, formerly the bullpen coach, was reassigned to be the minor league pitching coordinator. Then in June, Dunn decided to leave the Orioles to become pitching coach at LSU. So far as I know, nobody served in the role of minor league pitching coordinator for the rest of 2011.

The Orioles also have usually had one or more roving batting instuctors. Right now, Denny Walling is listed as minor league hitting coordinator. I believe Mike Bordick holds the title of minor league offensive coordinator, though I think he works more on bunting, baserunning etc. than hitting, and he clearly works with players on the defensive side, too.

Scott McGregor is the pitching coach at Aberdeen.

I don't think anyone doubts that Dave Schmidt is a smart guy and can help pitchers. The problem is he's not much of a communicator and picks and chooses who he's going to take under his wing while others are lucky to have two words spoken too them. Schmidt is better as a rover than a coordinator in my opinion. The Orioles need real leadership in their coordinator positions, something they've been lacking in my opinion. They need guys who will work with the Orioles major league staff and instill one philosophy throughout the system. all of the pitching coaches should work hand and hand with the coordinator and should be in the same sheet of music. Detailed video analysis needs to be done at all levels and Trackman machines should be installed at every Orioles minor league stadium. The pitchers should know they are part of the process. Too many times I've heard from Orioles minor league pitchers that the amount of feedback they get from the Orioles coaching staffs are pretty poor.

Hopefully Petersen will come in here and accept the challenge of developing a truly first class pitching developmental system.

I don't think anyone doubts that Dave Schmidt is a smart guy and can help pitchers. The problem is he's not much of a communicator and picks and chooses who he's going to take under his wing while others are lucky to have two words spoken too them. Schmidt is better as a rover than a coordinator in my opinion. The Orioles need real leadership in their coordinator positions, something they've been lacking in my opinion. They need guys who will work with the Orioles major league staff and instill one philosophy throughout the system. all of the pitching coaches should work hand and hand with the coordinator and should be in the same sheet of music. Detailed video analysis needs to be done at all levels and Trackman machines should be installed at every Orioles minor league stadium. The pitchers should know they are part of the process. Too many times I've heard from Orioles minor league pitchers that the amount of feedback they get from the Orioles coaching staffs are pretty poor.

Hopefully Petersen will come in here and accept the challenge of developing a truly first class pitching developmental system.

I'm pretty hopeful this will be addressed and corrected under DD.

I don't think anyone doubts that Dave Schmidt is a smart guy and can help pitchers. The problem is he's not much of a communicator and picks and chooses who he's going to take under his wing while others are lucky to have two words spoken too them. Schmidt is better as a rover than a coordinator in my opinion. The Orioles need real leadership in their coordinator positions, something they've been lacking in my opinion. They need guys who will work with the Orioles major league staff and instill one philosophy throughout the system. all of the pitching coaches should work hand and hand with the coordinator and should be in the same sheet of music. Detailed video analysis needs to be done at all levels and Trackman machines should be installed at every Orioles minor league stadium. The pitchers should know they are part of the process. Too many times I've heard from Orioles minor league pitchers and the amount of feedback they get from the Orioles coaching staffs are pretty poor.

Thanks for the link to the Trackman Machines article! I'd never heard of that before. I'd love to see that be a first step under Peterson. (Also, that article seems pretty fond of Tommy Hunter).

This type of signing would be such a welcome addition and potential franchise changing move that could help this organiztion for years. Clearly the player development part of this organization has been bad for a long time. Get it done dd this would be a bigger development than most of the trades and signings being discussed.

We've heard a lot (hopefully not just talk) about one consistent philosophy. And we desperately need that. But what should that specific philosophy be? Minnesota had some specific philosophy but I can't remember it offhand. A lot of coaches want strike one. Mazzone liked the low and away fastball. Ray Miller was work fast, throw strikes, change speeds. What do you or anybody else think it should be? VATech still reading? :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was checking to see if there is any news I missed on the Orioles signing a pitching coordinator for the minors? I saw that the Red Soxs are signing Bob McClure. But, was wondering if I missed if we actually filled this position or not, or if Peterson was hired by somebody else? Thanks in advance.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7380038/source-bob-mcclure-named-boston-red-sox-pitching-coach

Archived