• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Nats are out of it, and have better interests in a SP and CF'er.

The Blue Jays and AA have reported that they aren't giving more than 5 years to a player this offseason.

The Cubs could be interested, but they seem to be re building.

The Brewers, still remain a possibility

The Mariners as well

And the Orioles remain suitors, I see the Orioles as a darkhorse. DD has done a great job at keeping his cards close to him...We've seen that he isn't scared of a LT deal to a perennial all star, PA has the money (we offered Tex 7/140) and Buck has been known to have said that he wants a MOO. Don't count the Orioles out.

He has? It's more like he's playing with his cards face up on the table if you ask me. Either that or he's the best poker player of all time...

I think most clubs think Fielder is a safe bet at about 5/100. They don't have a pressing need to go much above that, IMO. SEA and the O's just might go beyond that.

Hope you're right. Anything could happen, especially since the Yankees and Sux already have premium long term solutions at 1b.

I think most clubs think Fielder is a safe bet at about 5/100. They don't have a pressing need to go much above that, IMO. SEA and the O's just might go beyond that.
He already turned that down from the Brewers, and they're willing to go 6/$120M on him. That's his floor, and if it goes that low, he'll stay on a winning Brewers team.

Well, they were prepared to pay Tex that.

I personally would be shocked if PA would allow a contract of that length for Fielder.

I hope that Buck and DD already know how much PA will allow them to go and that this isn't a feet dragging situation.

So, I think 6 years is the max, with 5 being more likely.

Maybe 6/140 at the absolutely max?(that is actually the most I would want to see them go)

Agree that 6/140 should be about the max for Fielder, but I wouldn't be against incentives that push it higher to 7/155 (option/buyout year based on performance). The incentives would have to focus on health and productivity (e.g. average games played, SS, MVP, AS), which if met would would translate into Fielder performing to the contracts value...also wouldn't mind Fielder having an opt-out clause after the 4th year.

There likely is not going to be another chance through FA to obtain a player of Prince's caliber for sometime. Wonder if the Orioles were ready to make a play for Darvish and Fielder is their plan B. Would Fielder convince some FA SP's to consider the Orioles (e.g. Oswalt)?

The market for him is incredibly soft since the usual fat cats sitting on their piles of cash have no real need for him.

So I'd say the O's kind of do have a realistic shot in this case - especially since Fielder's options seem to be down to the Marlins, Mariners, Angels, and Brewers.

1) Heyman is an idiot.

2) I have no interest in Fielder (knowing that the last 2-3 years of a 6-7 year contract will probably have to be "eaten"), unless the price is really low, relatively speaking, and/or his contract comes with an extremely detailed, easily enforceable fitness clause.

Archived