Todays (12-06-2011) Orioles Trade.

weams

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you had made that distinction I wouldn't have had such a strong objection. I don't see the point of the distinction, though. Plus, Andino was easily the most valuable player of the three last year, more valuable than Street and Stewart combined for that matter. And really, if you look at Street's and Stewart's past, you'd be fortunate to get more than about 2 rWAR out of the two of them since that's usually what they combine for. 2 rWAR of course being what Andino provided in his first year getting a lot of playing time.

Even if you figure Stewart will bounce back and provide a 1 or so rWAR, you assume about the same for Street, and you assume a bit of regression from Andino to 1.5, it's not really a no brainer money aside.

Maybe this is just me but as much as I like Robert Andino, I don't see him as anything more than a utility infielder. I think that's worth a high level closer and an infielder with potential, two players that I think are much more marketable than Andino that could potentially be flipped for more. Still, I wouldn't do the trade specifically because of Street's contract.

Votto is not going anywhere and if he does you are going to have to overpay for him. Jones and Guthrie is no where near overpaying.

I said that Jones and Guthrie wouldn't get the job done in my post. I simply said that I'd be all over it if they would.

I agree with everything you're saying.

You are aware he is owed 17 million in '13 correct?

That limits his potential suitors.

Obviously, but that's still a bargain for what he has provided the last two years. We're still talking about a 7 win player compared to a 2.5-3 win player under control for the same amount of time. I would still wager that Votto would bring a very significant amount more back in trade than Jones.

Who will it be?

Who will we lose? Will it be a fan favorite? Dan says fan favorites are the ones who win for them.

Who will we get back today?

Will it be as good as a MacPhail trade?

Thoughts?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-predictions-about-what-the-orioles-might-get-done-tuesday-at-the-winter-meetings-20111206,0,2445411.story

I'm guessing that today's trade and tomorrow's trade aren't going to happen.

If this is the answer:

Machado, Schoop, Bridwell and Matusz

The question must be "What is a near-insane overpay a team just on the cusp of greatness might bite on if their core of big stars was only together for a year or two more?"

The O's have absolutely nothing to do with the team I just described.

Archived