Morosi on Fielder's suitors...including the Orioles

MrOrange82

He is way better than any first basemen we have now. So the team improves. What do you care what we pay him? The team has the money. Who cares if he is a dh the last five years? Once again he is better than any DH we have now. Look at all the walks he gets. He hits for average. He hits home runs. He is the clean-up hitter the team needs. Guess what these guys aren't cheap. So unless you want to continue to be in last place in the division you need to do something to improve the team. If the team improves more fans will come. Means more money.

Have you learned nothing from cartoon history? The fact that you could be so cavalier about the obvious consequences of bringing Prince Fielder into a town that calls itself home to Domino Sugar is appalling.

LardLad.jpg

Serious response: you hypersimplify everything (thereby making my simplification reasonable). If you don't understand, presumably after reading through the boards, the many, many different ways that a contract like the one you're advocating could cripple an already beaten-down franchise, then I can't help you.

It'd be a terrible contract. End-story.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you learned nothing from cartoon history? The fact that you could be so cavalier about the obvious consequences of bringing Prince Fielder into a town that calls itself home to Domino Sugar is appalling.

LardLad.jpg

Serious response: you hypersimplify everything (thereby making my simplification reasonable). If you don't understand, presumably after reading through the boards, the many, many different ways that a contract like the one you're advocating could cripple an already beaten-down franchise, then I can't help you.

It'd be a terrible contract. End-story.

Like things could get any worse. And not going after the talent is what has crippled this franchise. When they paid for top talent they had a lot of fans. Now they can't even give tickets away. I see a lot of loser mentality on these boards. You need to sign someone of significance. The pitching and the hitting isn't good enough. You need to upgrade both. If somehow the young pitching on this staff gets good in a couple of years it will be time to trade them as we won't be able to sign them. At some point you either try or you just give up. How much money is weiters going to ask for when he becomes a free agent? If you dont' have any fans you won't be able to afford him. So either improve the club into being at least average or just give up and trade everyone so the Red Sox and Yankee fans that come to the stadium have a better time.

Like things could get any worse. And not going after the talent is what has crippled this franchise. When they paid for top talent they had a lot of fans. Now they can't even give tickets away. I see a lot of loser mentality on these boards. You need to sign someone of significance. The pitching and the hitting isn't good enough. You need to upgrade both. If somehow the young pitching on this staff gets good in a couple of years it will be time to trade them as we won't be able to sign them. At some point you either try or you just give up. How much money is weiters going to ask for when he becomes a free agent? If you dont' have any fans you won't be able to afford him. So either improve the club into being at least average or just give up and trade everyone so the Red Sox and Yankee fans that come to the stadium have a better time.

It's extremely unlikely that the O's could afford Fielder AND other players of consequence. Fielder alone doesn't make the Orioles a contending team. He doesn't even make the O's a .500 team. Your "strategy" only works if the team in question has unlimited resources. The salary you're suggesting would account for more than a quarter of the payrolls the O's have maintained over the last 14 years.

I'm just trying to figure out how the heck someone would have access to information over how many offers Fielder has received.

Unless he worked for Boras' agency.

BS meter is off the hook. Contracts don't get submitted to MLB until signed, so no one would have access to all of the contract offers besides Fielder's camp themselves. You know good and well if Boras had concrete offers he would be calling the press himself to put the numbers out there to drive up the bidding, that's how he operates.

Well intentioned, but BS.

It's extremely unlikely that the O's could afford Fielder AND other players of consequence. Fielder alone doesn't make the Orioles a contending team. He doesn't even make the O's a .500 team. Your "strategy" only works if the team in question has unlimited resources. The salary you're suggesting would account for more than a quarter of the payrolls the O's have maintained over the last 14 years.

Well they are going to need to increase their payroll if they have any chance to be competive consistently.

BS meter is off the hook. Contracts don't get submitted to MLB until signed, so no one would have access to all of the contract offers besides Fielder's camp themselves. You know good and well if Boras had concrete offers he would be calling the press himself to put the numbers out there to drive up the bidding, that's how he operates.

Well intentioned, but BS.

I'm pretty sure that was what I said. :noidea:

Maybe Boras just hasn't gotten around to leaking the information yet. Who knows...

There is so much wrong with this post that I will settle by correcting your spelling: "Wieters". :rolleyes:

According to Rosenthal, the Cubs are the front runners to land Fielder.

As for the O's:

The Orioles, as my colleague Jon Paul Morosi wrote earlier this week, are the eastern version of the Mariners, a non-contender that would be viable only if Fielder lacked better options.

Archived