Unhappy Scouts??

beardbr

Look, being a major league scout is a pretty cushy job, especially in comparison to a minor league or amateur scout. You get to go to work around 5 or so, watch a little BP, talk to some guys, then maybe catch a quick dinner in the press lounge. You then sit behind home plate at a major league ball park, scout, and then go and write up your report in your nice hotel. In the minors, you are going to numerous ballparks that are normally only assessable by long car rides so your travel has just increased. Your hotel budget is probably going to be much less and the majority of the guys you are watching will never make it to the major leagues. On the amateur side the travel is even more and you may spend a four hour drive only to find out the game is rained out or the kid you came to see was sick and didn't play. It's certainly understandable that the re-assigned guys will be frustrated with the move, but from the Orioles perspective it's probably a move that's long overdue.

I've been to many major and minor stadiums and I can assure you, working in a major league environment is much better.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Britt Ghiroli says there are likely more reassignments coming

I hope so. I would love to see this organization rebuilt from the ground up with no regard for egos or existing assignments. I understand that's implausible, but from a fan's perspective, I want to see a cleansing fire purge the rotten core of this forest. :D

After thinking about this, I don't think there's anything to this.

Are these guys under contract or does that expire when MacPhail left? If they're under contract, obviously they are not Duquette's guys. He's probably reassigning them to get some value before he rebuilds the scouting department.

If Duquette was hired much sooner, this probably wouldn't of happened.

I don't think this is any different than normal housekeeping with a new GM.

More Law:
keithlaw @keithlaw you've just been demoted to a job you haven't done in 8-10 years and it's too late in the year for you to quit. How'll that go? #orioles

In some lines of work such as mine, we would be ecstatic if the work was as plentiful and well-paying as it was 8-10 years ago. Having any vestigial sense of entitlement be abruptly dynamited can do wonders for clarifying one's perspective. As others have said, at least they have jobs. If my experience is any indication, the smart ones will suck it up and look for what opportunity exists in their new situation and the dumb ones will complain about the injustice of life.

I thought KLaw was one of those stat guys brought into replace the scouts? The total failure of the Blue Jays plan led to him become a bit of a crusader for scouts.

Right, as I remember he was one of the more anti-scout people that Lewis interviewed for Moneyball. He's since changed his mind, though.

In some lines of work such as mine, we would be ecstatic if the work was as plentiful and well-paying as it was 8-10 years ago. Having any vestigial sense of entitlement be abruptly dynamited can do wonders for clarifying one's perspective. As others have said, at least they have jobs. If my experience is any indication, the smart ones will suck it up and look for what opportunity exists in their new situation and the dumb ones will complain about the injustice of life.

And in my experience the ones who are crying about it will be gone from this organization soon - and probably to sell life insurance or coach high school baseball. Being an Orioles scout isn't necessarily something that will endear you to mother clubs based on our inability to get guys to the majors. It may not necessarily be that 1 guys fault, but they are certainly a cog in a broken wheel. Employers rarely "settle" for a guy who is flawed and set in his ways. they'd rather have someone young with talent that can be molded into the GM line of thinking

Archived