Unhappy Scouts??

beardbr

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well considering where all of our free agent targets are located I could see the reason for being a little unhappy if I were a scout. How would you like to have to do all of your scouting in Japan, South Korea, China, and Tawain. Oh yeah Venezuela too. "What's next Vietnam?"
Yes, I would rather do that actually. Kansas city or Boston or South America or Japan. I would see this as a great opportunity!

I thought KLaw was one of those stat guys brought into replace the scouts? The total failure of the Blue Jays plan led to him become a bit of a crusader for scouts.

He was in the camp with AA and LaCava that the stats on their own weren't going to work and they needed to mix in more scouting. JP Riccardi didn't agree and tried to do it his way. We see who was right.

I thought KLaw was one of those stat guys brought into replace the scouts? The total failure of the Blue Jays plan led to him become a bit of a crusader for scouts.

That's what Michael Lewis says about him:

"I don't understand why he goes from being -- when I interviewed Keith Law, and I did, at length -- he was so nasty about scouts and scouting culture and the stupidity of baseball insiders. He was the reductio ad absurdum of the person who was the smarty pants who had been brought into the game and was smarter than everybody else. He alienated people. And now he's casting himself as someone who sees the value of the old school. I can't see where this is all heading and why. But I learned from experience that the best thing to do is ignore it, because it goes away."

That's what Michael Lewis says about him:

See, I'm no Michael Lewis fan. The guy is a financial wiz with an Econ degree, but is no baseball guy. I'll spare yet another Moneyball rant, but the guy is married to Tabitha Soren for god's sake, I can't take him seriously about anything that has to do with sports.

See, I'm no Michael Lewis fan. The guy is a financial wiz with an Econ degree, but is no baseball guy. I'll spare yet another Moneyball rant, but the guy is married to Tabitha Soren for god's sake, I can't take him seriously about anything that has to do with sports.

What's wrong with Tabitha Soren? She probably would have gone from MTV to being a "serious" journalist had she not married Lewis and had 3 kids. I don't see what she has to do with anything.

What's wrong with Tabitha Soren? She probably would have gone from MTV to being a "serious" journalist had she not married Lewis and had 3 kids. I don't see what she has to do with anything.

It's just that all I can think of are those cheesy MTV cut-ins they used to do with her and Kirk Loder. I wish she would have gone on to bigger and better things, but that's all I can think of when I hear her name.

Allstar's rants about Lewis and Moneyball generally involve misreadings and ad hominem attacks.

Archived