MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

You truly believe that the Orioles have a chance of signing Fielder. I'm worried about you. I'm worried that the O's are going to permanently crush a part of your psyche after they let you down yet again.

j1JdY.gif

Therer could be a slim chance. If the Gnats aren't willing to offer him the years he wants, SEA wont give him an opt out clause, and TEX isn't interested, he could sign with us if we offer the opt out.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But Washington was essentially a .500 team last year without any significant contribution from Harper or Strasburg. Their rebuild is wholly independent of those two, or the luck associated with picking 1:1 in those two draft years.

I was talking about their system in general. You're right they were essentially a .500 team last year, but that is also in a league and division that is a lot easier than the AL East. Moreover, with the Marlins and Braves coming on strong it probably will be a bit harder next year.

I'm not saying that they will be in last place, but even in third they need to make up a 21 game deficit against the Phillies.

I'm not anointing them yet is all.

I was talking about their system in general. You're right they were essentially a .500 team last year, but that is also in a league and division that is a lot easier than the AL East. Moreover, with the Marlins and Braves coming on strong it probably will be a bit harder next year.

I'm not saying that they will be in last place, but even in third they need to make up a 21 game deficit against the Phillies.

And who is?

All anyone has said is that they should be an exciting team to watch next year. I'd give my right arm to have that in Baltimore.

Fair enough. I'm just saying that pointing at the fact that they fell into Harper and Strasburg as the reason for the rebuild working out isn't wholly accurate.

Also, they have 9 games to make up from the new "Second Wild Card." A healthy Stras and a newly acquired Fielder could certainly push them pretty close.

I don't think anyone is anointing them, but they're pretty darn close to that sweet spot where 5, 8, 10 games in the standings you might get from a big push (Fielder, Strasburg, Gonzalez, etc) could bust open a floodgate of playoff revenues. If the O's add 5-10 games with a big push they need another 10 games on top of that to get them there.

OK... I may only have a few posts to my name but I've been around for awhile and just don't post that much. With that said... I learned something weird tonight.

I want to first preface this by saying that in NO WAY am I an insider. I would start another thread but I don't want this board to go nuts over something that is just hearsay.

So with that said.. my father does some litigation work for MLB. He is up in New York this week working on some things. I will NOT mention his name at all. And to be honest, I don't know WHO he spoke to. My father is both a fan of the Nats and the Orioles. He is older so he's not on the internet scouring rumors. He just heard something on 570 down here in DC about a week ago that linked Prince to the Nats. So my father, while talking to this person about the random rumor he heard on the radio found out somethings that are JUST THE OPINION of an MLB Exec working out of NYC who has close ties to Selig. This person confirmed a few things while talking to my dad. First he said that the O's and Nats are definite possibilities for Prince. We all knew that. He also said that everything hinges on the Darvish signing. Texas may be in the mix if they can't sign Darvish and are more likely to offer major money because they aren't sure if they want to resign Josh Hamilton next year due to his injuries. So... I think we can all say we could have come to this conclusion ourselves.

But the interesting thing that this exec said was that the dark horse team in the race is... hold your breath... the Cleveland Indians. He mentioned that ownership is closely but quietly monitoring the situation and if the price is right they may jump on him and offer more years than the Nats, Rangers or O's. He mentioned that since LeBron left the city ownership is promoting the idea that Prince could be the face of Ohio. So that is just an idea to throw out there. I am in no way saying that this exec has inside information himself. It was just his opinion but you never know where he got those ideas.

He also said that Prince makes more sense for the Nats with Strasburg and Harper coming up but that the Jayson Werth contract has crippled them and that they are a-ok with using LaRoche for a year, then moving Morse to 1B and trying the market on the plentiful outfield options next year. So he expects a bid but said that if the O's REALLY wanted him they could get him provided that Darvish signs with the Rangers and that the Indians aren't for real.

Please don't bash me for trying to be an "insider". I am simply relaying news that you all might find interesting. And in no way will I give up my father's name and the name of the guy he spoke to was never revealed to me. So... that's all.

OK... I may only have a few posts to my name but I've been around for awhile and just don't post that much. With that said... I learned something weird tonight.

I want to first preface this by saying that in NO WAY am I an insider. I would start another thread but I don't want this board to go nuts over something that is just hearsay.

So with that said.. my father does some litigation work for MLB. He is up in New York this week working on some things. I will NOT mention his name at all. And to be honest, I don't know WHO he spoke to. My father is both a fan of the Nats and the Orioles. He is older so he's not on the internet scouring rumors. He just heard something on 570 down here in DC about a week ago that linked Prince to the Nats. So my father, while talking to this person about the random rumor he heard on the radio found out somethings that are JUST THE OPINION of an MLB Exec working out of NYC who has close ties to Selig. This person confirmed a few things while talking to my dad. First he said that the O's and Nats are definite possibilities for Prince. We all knew that. He also said that everything hinges on the Darvish signing. Texas may be in the mix if they can't sign Darvish and are more likely to offer major money because they aren't sure if they want to resign Josh Hamilton next year due to his injuries. So... I think we can all say we could have come to this conclusion ourselves.

But the interesting thing that this exec said was that the dark horse team in the race is... hold your breath... the Cleveland Indians. He mentioned that ownership is closely but quietly monitoring the situation and if the price is right they may jump on him and offer more years than the Nats, Rangers or O's. He mentioned that since LeBron left the city ownership is promoting the idea that Prince could be the face of Ohio. So that is just an idea to throw out there. I am in no way saying that this exec has inside information himself. It was just his opinion but you never know where he got those ideas.

He also said that Prince makes more sense for the Nats with Strasburg and Harper coming up but that the Jayson Werth contract has crippled them and that they are a-ok with using LaRoche for a year, then moving Morse to 1B and trying the market on the plentiful outfield options next year. So he expects a bid but said that if the O's REALLY wanted him they could get him provided that Darvish signs with the Rangers and that the Indians aren't for real.

Please don't bash me for trying to be an "insider". I am simply relaying news that you all might find interesting. And in no way will I give up my father's name and the name of the guy he spoke to was never revealed to me. So... that's all.

That all sounds logical to me. The Nats could feel that Harper, Rendon (maybe), Strasburg and Gio could be enough to push them into playoff contention and they are right IMO. I think the Nats are one of the best teams in the NL heading into 2012 and they were not that far out of the wildcard last year without Strasburg, Harper, Rendon, Gio or a guy like Werth who might actually have some prtection next season. I like the Nats to finish second in the NL East behind the Phillies and win the first wild card. I think that Atlanta will win the second wild card and I do not think that the moves the Marlins made this offseason make them the favorites by any means. If I am an NL East GM I am worried about the Nats over the next 5+ years.

Don't worry about it. Some of us appreciate you taking the time to post.

I've never understood the desire by some to knock down and undermine someone who claims to have inside information. Either it's true or it isn't. Certainly not worth banning people or being rude.

What you said seems possible and you didn't come in here making declarations about validity. I hope we get Fielder. We really need that bat in the lineup.

This is a very interesting rumor. It would have a lot more credibility if your father had heard the information from the executives wide's brother. :D

You have to admit, there was nothing crazy in that rumor and the only thing that was out there was Fielder to the Indians. With that said, it seems like Boras always signs his guys with teams that you never saw coming. Crazier things have happened. I think Fielder wants to go to Texas as he would have no state income tax which would make a $20M+ deal look like a $22.5M+ deal (per year). Texas also has an amazing lineup to protect Fielder and could afford him if a Darvish deal falls through (I doubt that this happens). I know I am crazy, but I could see Prince in a Nats and Yankees uniform, but the risk for the Nationals is a big one IMO. If Prince' knees go than there is not way to DH him. I think that the Yankees need pitching more than hitting, but they could probably afford Fielder and dump the RF. Fielder could DH and speel Tex at first when need be. When I hear Cashman say that they will be deciding on payroll sometime in the next week it makes me think. Did they not know about payroll prior to this week? I hear him make that statement and think "Great, Yankees are about to make some moves".

I am going to make a bold prediction and say that the Rays sign Prince Fielder. :eektf:

You have to admit, there was nothing crazy in that rumor and the only thing that was out there was Fielder to the Indians. With that said, it seems like Boras always signs his guys with teams that you never saw coming. Crazier things have happened. I think Fielder wants to go to Texas as he would have no state income tax which would make a $20M+ deal look like a $22.5M+ deal (per year). Texas also has an amazing lineup to protect Fielder and could afford him if a Darvish deal falls through (I doubt that this happens). I know I am crazy, but I could see Prince in a Nats and Yankees uniform, but the risk for the Nationals is a big one IMO. If Prince' knees go than there is not way to DH him. I think that the Yankees need pitching more than hitting, but they could probably afford Fielder and dump the RF. Fielder could DH and speel Tex at first when need be. When I hear Cashman say that they will be deciding on payroll sometime in the next week it makes me think. Did they not know about payroll prior to this week? I hear him make that statement and think "Great, Yankees are about to make some moves".

I am going to make a bold prediction and say that the Rays sign Prince Fielder. :eektf:

I honestly would not be the least bit surprised to see Prince wind up with the Yankees. I know they were looking at DH to rotate ARod and others, but the Yankees could afford to keep ARod playing third for 110 games and letting him get frequent rest. They could sign Prince to be DH and let him play 1st a couple of times of month.

Don't worry about it. Some of us appreciate you taking the time to post.

I've never understood the desire by some to knock down and undermine someone who claims to have inside information. Either it's true or it isn't. Certainly not worth banning people or being rude.

What you said seems possible and you didn't come in here making declarations about validity. I hope we get Fielder. We really need that bat in the lineup.

I would have great admiration for Tampa Bay if they figured out a way to sign Fielder. I love almost every move they make. But I just don't see it happening. Yankees would be crazy to sign Fielder. They have to put up with Tex, ARod, Jeter, etc and their salaries that are escalating. They'll also have to extend Cano who could make upwards of 18 million per season on a five or six year deal.

Also... as someone mentioned before... Sooner or later ARod is going to need to be moved to DH. I see this happening in 2014. Then you have Tex, ARod and Fielder all vying for the DH slot. And DH might be the only position Montero can play. Unless they move him to first which is currently occupied by Fielder and Tex. So... just doesn't make sense. I see the Yanks signing EJax and calling it a day. They'd be stupid not to make a push for him.

Actually I wasn't trying to discredit His post at all. It certainly was a plausible story. I was just referencing a comment I think Weams made in a thread the other day about the sources from whom he got his best "insider" information. I guess you had to be there. I certainly apologize if I offended anyone.

Archived