MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

Signing Prince would break the luxury tax threshold. It's been repeated multiple times.

The Yankees are sick of paying huge penalties. By avoiding the tax now, they can go after Joey Votto after 2013...

Why do you always assume you know what everyone is thinking/feeling? Do you believe everything you read?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/prince-fielder-rumors-wednesday.html

99% chance Nats don't sign Fielder says one guy, FWIW.

I'm not saying the market is collapsing, but... I'm sayin'. :scratchchinhmm:

That is not what they said. They said there is 99 percent chance they would not sign him at his current asking price which could be 250 million over 10 years.

Why do you always assume you know what everyone is thinking/feeling? Do you believe everything you read?

Regarding the Yankees I do. They weren't in after Matt Holliday for instance. They do take some offseasons off every now and then.

I could see them sign EJax, but they've got plenty of older players to put at the DH spot.

Per Rotoworld...Yanks met with Boras to discuss Edwin Jackson...yeah right, I'm sure they are talking about more than just EJax.

Fielder to the Yankees is insane to consider. Arod is a soon to be full-time DH and Tex has a hefty contract at 1st. Are they going to put him in LF? I think not! Just because they have a whole lot of dollars does not mean they're going to spend stupid.

Watch them sign him now after I say this though...

Signing Prince would break the luxury tax threshold. It's been repeated multiple times.

The Yankees are sick of paying huge penalties. By avoiding the tax now, they can go after Joey Votto after 2013...

Seriously doubt this happens. ARod isn't going to be able to play third worth a crap after 2013 and they already have Montero and Teixeria. 1B/DH is going to be completely clogged up. If the Yankees are going to open up their checkbook over the next few years, it's going to be to get a guy like Justin Upton.

The Jays, on the other hand, will probably be all over Votto.

Seriously doubt this happens. ARod isn't going to be able to play third worth a crap after 2013 and they already have Montero and Teixeria. 1B/DH is going to be completely clogged up. If the Yankees are going to open up their checkbook over the next few years, it's going to be to get a guy like Justin Upton.

The Jays, on the other hand, will probably be all over Votto.

Just saying the Yankees wanted a 1B/DH, they'd wait until Votto was available. But you are right about the Jays...

And were they in on Teixeira before they signed him?
As a matter of fact they were. Tex met with them early in his FA process and made it clear that they were his first choice. They simply waited for the right moment to make their offer. That was then. Now the Yankees have serious concerns about the luxory tax. They have been very budget concious this post season. I they weren't they would have just offered the moon and the stars to Wilson or Buehrle. They needed one of them a lot more then they need Fielder.

Better than talking about trading one of our best players...

Agreed and I also have to agree that the Yanks are out on Fielder...even if they may have a need for a replacement first basemen in a few years, even the Yanks have to have some limitations...I hope.

That is not what they said. They said there is 99 percent chance they would not sign him at his current asking price which could be 250 million over 10 years.

In Dan-O's defense, I believe that report has been updated since he first posted the link. But, it does sound like the Nat's are heavily in on Prince. Oh well, wasn't expecting him to be an Oriole anyway...

Archived