MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This "tour" is to get new clients on board to try to raise the offers IMO...

Denial is what happens when the market for your "Prince's face painstakingly pasted onto the bodies of several hundred SI Swimsuit Models" calenders evaporates before your eyes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1jMxXBoyc

Jayson Werth was signed last offseason as part of a plan to cast him as a complementary player, not a franchise one. The return of Stephen Strasburg and the rise of Bryce Harper open a window to contend for championships -- just as Davey Johnson, their manager, once saw it with Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry with the Mets. Fielder, akin to Gary Carter, is the big piece to finish off the building phase.

Boras, who has a terrific relationship with Nats' owner Ted Lerner, the way he did with Tom Hicks in Texas and Mike Illitch in Detroit, can get a deal done on the ownership level because this is bigger than just a baseball deal. It's about positioning the Nationals to become the big market team they should be.

I know this song!

This is where the Orioles swoop in...

I remember one year my owner took me free agent shopping.

It was me, and weams, and scOtt, oh, and Trea.

And Dan Duquette all hopped in the car.

We headed downtown to the Winter Meetings.

My GM started buggin' with the players he chose.

I didn't say nothing at first, I just turned up my nose.

He said "What's wrong, this player costs a lot of cabbage!"

I said "Dan, he's 38 with a declining batting average".

The next several weeks were the same old thing

My GM picking out players born in 1963.

But then he lost his mind and did the ultimate!

I asked him for Prince Fielder and he bought Johnny Damon!

I said "Dan! What are you doing? You'll ruin my team!"

He said "You're not a billionaire, you don't have a team yet."

I said "Dan, hang up the phone with Damon, please?"

He said "No! We're trying to hit .500, not win the whole show."

So to you other fans all across the land,

There's no need to argue.

Peter just don't understand.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jW3PFC86UNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This "tour" is to get new clients on board to try to raise the offers IMO...

Boras isn't getting much business on his current demands, so he'll showcase Prince out there again.

I actually agree with JTrea here. Obviously the first round of offers did not generate any interest from Boras or Fielder. So... now the only logical thing to do is shop him around a second time. Time is working against them so they need to get Fielder signed within the next two or three weeks. But I honestly don't think that this will change anything by adding 2 other teams to the mix. I'm assuming right now it's Texas, Miami, Washington, Seattle and Baltimore with the outside chance that the Dodgers might be in the mix. I think right now most of these teams are interested as long as the contract is about 5-6 years at about 23 million per season but Boras is probably shooting for more years and probably 25-27 million per season. I just don't see any teams budging on their stance. Yes.. bringing in more teams can pit them against each other but I think at this point Boras knows he won't get an 8-10 year deal at 25-27 million. That is just preposterous. And if that's what his asking price is I think the NL teams will bow out rather quickly. So either he keeps the price at 20-23 million for 6 or 7 years or he gets someone to bite at 5-6 years at 25-27 million. I think that is his hope. But will it happen? Who knows. Rangers are our biggest competition. Their payroll, before Darvish is signed is at about what... 110 million? They could backload Darvish's and Fielder's contract, raise their payroll to 140-150 for one year and then let Hamilton walk next year and let Kinsler and Young walk the year after that. With those three contracts gone after two years that puts them in excellent position to extend the likes of Andrus, Feliz and Harrison while still keeping Fielder, Darvish, and Beltre as their big contracts and seeing where they are with their youngsters. So... I could definitely see this happening. Do the O's still have a chance? Of course they do. But on this "tour" it will become very clear whether they are seriously interested in him or not. So I'm looking forward to the shenanigans that will be the next two weeks.

I'm calling BS. You don't pay Jayson Werth $126 million, and $83 million over the last four years, to be a "complimentary" player; that's lying to justify in hindsight. Even if they actually DID do that, then the team is too dumb to be trusted with players like Strasburg and Harper.

I'm calling BS. You don't pay Jayson Werth $126 million, and $83 million over the last four years, to be a "complimentary" player; that's lying to justify in hindsight. Even if they actually DID do that, then the team is too dumb to be trusted with players like Strasburg and Harper.

Honestly I don't see the Nats in on Fielder unless they can get him for 20 mil for 5 years. The Werth contract is crippling the franchise. They have to extend both Zimmerman's (I know one is spelled differently) and you have to imagine that they'll want to pull a Longoria and sign Strasburg and Harper pretty soon. Payroll is going UP very quickly and with Fielder they'd be way beyond their means.

Archived