Update on Jones to the Braves for Jurrjens, Prado, Plus

Roll Tide

I expect you would have to give up a SP like Bergy or Tillman along with Reimold, and look forward to watching Endy Chavez in LF. Personally I'd rather watch Endy in CF where at least he would be a defensive upgrade, Reimold in LF, have JJ in the rotation, Prado at 3B, and Delgado in Norfolk, along with, Matusz and Tillman.

If Reimold/Tillman or Bergy was the price for Floyd, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Floyd's nothing spectacular, but, if we're being honest about the two O's players just mentioned, neither are the guys we'd be giving up. Plus, like I said, that still leaves open the possibility of trading Jones later.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Reimold/Tillman or Bergy was the price for Floyd, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Floyd's nothing spectacular, but, if we're being honest about the two O's players just mentioned, neither are the guys we'd be giving up. Plus, like I said, that still leaves open the possibility of trading Jones later.

Heck, I'd give them Reimold, Tillman, AND Bergy. What are we going to do with Tillman and Bergy? Bergy has potential to be a reliever, but Tillman hasn't shown us anything.

I think keeping Jones, Andino and Reimold and signing Maholm is a good option.

Maholm doesn't have the K rates of a Floyd but he doesn't give up the home runs Floyd does and he wouldn't cost us our left fielder.

In addition to the low home run rates, Maholm has a strong sinker, which supports his over 50% GB ratio.

Sometimes it's the moves you don't make that help the most.

I did, until the trade talk started. I think he feels insulted that the Orioles wouldn't keep him as part of their core. Even his mom's Twitter post gives the vibe that they feel slighted over the whole situation.

The trade talk was also fueled by the fanbase, including a majority of this board.

As I said, it was if fans wanted to just talk trade and forget about even trying to extend him.

This was not a Bedard situation, but it now may become one because people wanted to run him out of town for the "prospect of the day"

It's obvious more fans want him gone and value him less than Duquette and the Orioles do.

Hopefully all will be forgiven if Jones does stay and has a huge season.

Our lineup will have a huge gaping hole without him, and there's already enough holes in it to begin with...

If Atlanta wants AJ, how did it get to a three-team nine-player deal?

I think Baltimore would be better served by trying to figure out the best possible return for Jones that's affordable for Atlanta and I hope that's what's going on. I also hope not too much time is being spent on abstract notions of "balance" or "fairness" which seems to be driving the escalation of complexity here.

Because Atlanta likes Seth Smith and needs a backup middle infielder

The trade talk was also fueled by the fanbase, including a majority of this board.

As I said, it was if fans wanted to just talk trade and forget about even trying to extend him.

This was not a Bedard situation, but it now may become one because people wanted to run him out of town for the "prospect of the day"

It's obvious more fans want him gone and value him less than Duquette and the Orioles do.

Our lineup will have a huge gaping hole without him, and there's already enough holes in it to begin with...

It's almost as bad as Markakis' down year that was obviously because people were talking about putting him on waivers. Stupid "fans".

It's almost as bad as Markakis' down year that was obviously because people were talking about putting him on waivers. Stupid "fans".

I'm not saying Jones will have poor performance, just that he'll want out of Baltimore because he doesn't "feel the love." as he did before he got close to FA. The fans have really got on him this offseason, so it's like he's had his arbitration hearing already as all his flaws have been highlighted.

The Baltimore fanbase is very "trade happy" because there is an inferiority complex that every player hates it in Baltimore and automatically wants to leave, but when you hear from those players it's far from the truth.

The Orioles usually treat their players very well.

The only reason Bedard wanted out was because the Orioles lowballed him with an extension offer the offseason before and ticked him off. I don't think they'd do that with Jones...

JJ Hardy who had tons of FA options after the season decided to extend with the Orioles for less than market value.

What does that tell you? Players don't hate Baltimore as much as the fans think they do IMO.

JTrea, we have NOTHING in terms of pitching that would scare anyone. We scored 708 runs in 2011 and Jones accounted for 68 runs scored and 83 driven in while posting a .785 OPS. To put things into perspective, Prado scored 66 runs and drove in 57 while posting a .687, but in 2010 his OPS was .809 while scoring 100 runs and driving in 66. He was worth 1.6 WAR in 2011, 4.4 WAR in 2010 and 3.2 WAR in 2009. I do not think that losing Jones hurts us much at all if we gry Prado as an upgrade at 2B.

I'm not saying Jones will have poor performance, just that he'll want out of Baltimore because he doesn't "feel the love." as he did before he got close to FA.

The Baltimore fanbase is very "trade happy" because there is an inferiority complex that every player hates it in Baltimore and automatically wants to leave, but when you hear from those players it's far from the truth.

The Orioles usually treat their players very well.

The only reason Bedard wanted out was because the Orioles lowballed him with an extension offer the offseason before and ticked him off. I don't think they'd do that with Jones...

JJ Hardy who had tons of FA options after the season decided to extend with the Orioles for less than market value.

What does that tell you? Players don't hate Baltimore as much as the fans think they do IMO.

Hardy might have extended because he was traded twice in three years and he knew his own injury history. Better to get the money now and have a place to call home than to be looking for your next contract after an injury. The Orioles should have traded JJ Hardy as well as we are not competing in 2012, 2013 and maybe 2013 (the last year of his deal).

Hardy might have extended because he was traded twice in three years and he knew his own injury history. Better to get the money now and have a place to call home than to be looking for your next contract after an injury. The Orioles should have traded JJ Hardy as well as we are not competing in 2012, 2013 and maybe 2013 (the last year of his deal).

I disagree, I think he is worth more now then he was when they extended him.

JTrea, we have NOTHING in terms of pitching that would scare anyone. We scored 708 runs in 2011 and Jones accounted for 68 runs scored and 83 driven in while posting a .785 OPS. To put things into perspective, Prado scored 66 runs and drove in 57 while posting a .687, but in 2010 his OPS was .809 while scoring 100 runs and driving in 66. He was worth 1.6 WAR in 2011, 4.4 WAR in 2010 and 3.2 WAR in 2009. I do not think that losing Jones hurts us much at all if we gry Prado as an upgrade at 2B.

There's plenty of pitching available via trade without using Jones and there's plenty on the FA market. There is no TOR to sign, and the options will be better at the deadline or next offseason. Grab another arm to shore up the rotation and sign somebody like Moyer to a minor league deal to see if we can get some use out of that arm.

We do not have to have a stellar rotation to win games. However if we castrate the offense like we would with trading Jones and not adding another bat, then we do.

You don't make a hole in CF to fix the rotation when the rotation is easily fixable without trading Jones. You've got too many question marks elsewhere in the offense already.

As for Prado - get Fielder and you won't have to worry about production from 2B as you'll have it from the other positions, including 1B for the first time since Palmeiro, instead.

I disagree, I think he is worth more now then he was when they extended him.

His worth is defined by the options available at the time and his ability to sign a contract. He would have done that to any team that made him that offer IMO. His value MAY get higher, but it is more likely to lower. The contract could help, but only if he can stay healthy and repeat his 2011 success. I just do not understand a 3-year deal to tread water as you are still rebuilding and very far from contending by all accounts.

Archived