HHP: Do you agree with DD not handing our young pitchers automatic spots in the rotation?

ChaosLex

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering the up-hill climb DD has trying to rebuild this organization while having a better product on the field, you're going to have to give up something to get something. Instead of over-paying, we're perhaps over-committing to placement on the team. However, if the production isn't' there, I think that can change. So we're close to a "can't lose" situation with these guys.

Great move.

Guys like Britton and maybe Arrieta shouldn't really be competing, per say. But Matusz, in no way shape or form should be given a roster spot. The combination of him being out of shape and just completely ill prepared (and obviously injured) last year should negate any rotation spot. Start him in AAA if necessary. We need to go back to the idea of rewarding pitchers for performing rather than just giving them a spot because we lacked depth. It builds too much of an image of entitlement.

So you don't like the idea of bringing in competition for guys like Matusz to make them have to work that much harder in the offseason knowing that a spot isn't guaranteed?

They are either going to work hard or they aren't.

These guys have much more long term incentive than just making the Orioles OD rotation.

Do you want to get paid? Do you want to sign a monster contract? Well, if so, work hard and get back to where you were.

I have no problem with competition....but in no way should that competition be ahead of guys like Arrieta and Wieters on the depth chart.

Let the best five start the season. If the young guys aren't good enough to outshine the veterans who are candidates for the back of the rotation, well, shame on them. But I hope we don't send guys down to the minors just because they are younger and struggled last year, if they show this spring they are better than the veteran candidates. (And I am not just talking about ERA in ST games, I am talking about the entire evaluation that takes place in the spring.)

Jake too. I have high hopes for him this year. He improved a lot of his problem areas (improved but not completely fixed...) and this will be the first year in a long time he has pitched without the bone chips.

I am not a Physician. And I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But.

Sometimes, bone chips aren't just bone chips. There is a reason they are there. And until you throw after elbow surgery, you never know how slack that ligament will be. Keep your fingers crossed.

But Jake is far from a sure thing.

I am not a Physician. And I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But.

Sometimes, bone chips aren't just bone chips. There is a reason they are there. And until you throw after elbow surgery, you never know how slack that ligament will be. Keep your fingers crossed.

But Jake is far from a sure thing.

This.

Isn't the next step/surgery after bone spurs TJ surgery?

They are either going to work hard or they aren't.

These guys have much more long term incentive than just making the Orioles OD rotation.

Do you want to get paid? Do you want to sign a monster contract? Well, if so, work hard and get back to where you were.

I have no problem with competition....but in no way should that competition be ahead of guys like Arrieta and Wieters on the depth chart.

I know that you love Matusz, but he needs to prove himself. I don't know how anyone can be opposed to a team bringing in pitchers that are better then what we have. If Wada gets a rotation spot over Matusz, then Buck thinks he is going to be better this year. If you disagree, be mad at Buck, not DD.

If the guys they are bringing in are actually better, the system is being improved so that the young guys learn and fix what is wrong, and the guys brought in will not be a great roadblock to them coming back up to show what they have learned, then I don't have an issue with it. I'm skeptical that all is actually the case, but we'll have to see.

I know that you love Matusz, but he needs to prove himself. I don't know how anyone can be opposed to a team bringing in pitchers that are better then what we have. If Wada gets a rotation spot over Matusz, then Buck thinks he is going to be better this year. If you disagree, be mad at Buck, not DD.

I'm not opposed to that...but it hasn't happened.

Archived