Advocating Carlos Pena for 1B in 2012

Enjoy Terror

Hear me out on this;

It is extremely unlikely we will land Prince Fielder. I feel comfortable making that assertion. To my chagrin, I am fully prepared for the season to begin with Chris Davis and Mark Reynolds splitting time at 1B. That said, I will be thrilled if the Orioles sign Prince, in much the same way I will be thrilled to win the Powerball tomorrow.

I am advocating the signing of Carlos Pena to be our first baseman for 2012.

Carlos Pena is a very similar player to Mark Reynolds in many aspects. Both are huge strikeout guys. Carlos finished his season with the Cubs batting a healthy .225/.357/.462 with 28 home runs in 606PAs. His September was even better: .229/.432/.543. Pena was also a plus defender at 1B.

I think an infield of Pena, Wieters, Roberts/Antonelli, Hardy and Andino at 3B gives us a very solid defensive infield. I think Reynolds as a full time DH is the only way to properly use him, to offset his fielding liabilities. Chris Davis is a better bench option than everyday player.

True, Pena is an older player and does not figure into our long term plans at all, but I think that if the Orioles are not serious about getting a young player like Rizzo, Alonso or Blanks, that Pena is a cost effective option for the next year or two.

This is where you tell me why I'm wrong and also an idiot. Go.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember people wanting Derrek Lee and seeing how that worked out...

No more washed up players at 1B.

The performance we've received there is an embarrasment, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out it is the worst performance from a team at that position ever over the same time period.

Pena doesn't fix 1B. He'll prolong our pathetic performance from it.

Archived